Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    only 1 active case in South Australia - our borders are also closed, even to other states of Australia
    some other Australia states also there and others not that far behind.

Yay, hoping that continues - we want you "in our bubble"! (Lucky DH and I made a trip to SA late Feb - just before the restrictions stepped up)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    In Ky USA we are an uptick of COVID-19 cases which probably means there are asymptomatic spreaders. Marches are one source i am sure. Pool parties of young kids with parents socializing is a new thing I noticed. Churches and movies are in business again. By July 4th a new peak maybe taking place due lack of social distancing and mask usage. August day care through colleges will be open for business. From the news I see social unrest is common place world wide. With police funding cut talk and some being charged with police abuse we may see fewer on the streets in an active way.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I found this article interesting and applicable to the way that some/or most of us are feeling.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/health/quarantine-fatigue-is-real-coronavirus-wellness/index.html
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Movies. You all explained hair cuts to me and I appreciate it. I still haven’t got a haircut.

Movies. Thinking about it only from the owners point of view. Why are they not open? Because they sell tickets online, it would be easy to limit people in each theater and plan ahead for distancing—every other row, seats between groups. Of course they wouldn’t be full and they often were on weekends before. But they might be fuller on weekdays since so many people are off work or working odd hours at home, and kids are out of school. I don’t ever go to the movies, so I don’t know how everything really works. It’s just that the movie theaters around here say they may have to close permanently because of the revenue lost, and I don’t see how they can fix that by staying closed now.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    why not lemur cat? - and what has that to do with coronavirus?

It's a ridiculous diet talked about often in the forum, and just a dumb joke.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Thanks @kimny72. Yes, air circulation makes sense.
    @Theoldguy1 yes, that always made sense to me. Yet our theater is often full.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I found this article interesting and applicable to the way that some/or most of us are feeling.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/health/quarantine-fatigue-is-real-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Yes, I still wear masks when out at the store, etc, but I can feel myself relaxing a bit. I no longer disinfect every single doorknob in the house nightly like I did a few months ago (we have a LOT of doors). After a lot of reports saying likelihood of catching it from groceries is quite small, I don’t disinfect all the things. I still “quarantine” most, but with less rigor. Also starting to see some friends again, though not really going anywhere inside.

I noticed my son is the only one wearing his mask to/from soccer anymore, and in certain stores I’m no longer in the majority with my mask (among employees and shoppers).
    wrote:
    "It's reflected when we become impatient with warnings, or we don't believe the warnings to be real or relevant, or we de-emphasize the actual risk," she added. "And in doing that, we then bend rules or stop safety behaviors

This is huge—the “don’t believe warnings to be relevant”. For ex, our neighborhood pool is reopening, but you cannot bring ANYTHING with you. No pool toys, no floats, no goggles. GOGGLES? I suppose I get the toys, bc they could be shared. But how is me wearing my own goggles (which would at least somewhat shield pool water from my eyes, if I were infected, I suppose) to swim going to increase anyone’s risk of getting sick? That’s the kind of ridiculous seeming rule that throws all other rules into question.

Lots of things seem not to make sense. Like soccer requires a mask to/from the field, but baseball does not. Soccer requires parents to stay in the car, baseball allows one parent at the field for some levels/leagues. Soccer wasn’t allowing them to pass the ball. With their feet. No one was touching it with their hands. How they were going to get sick from kicking a ball to each other from 6’ away? Too risky, but baseball lets them throw a ball to each other with their hands? Even from pretty compliant and cautious people like me, these rules engender grumbling and eye rolls. From people less compliant? I imagine they’re more likely to label every rule as ridiculous.

As far as the pool, it's possible it's easier to say don't bring anything than to provide a list of do's and don'ts. Also, some people are liable to leave their stuff lying around and that risks other people picking it up? I don't know, all the pools by me are still closed - i always think of public pools as full of other people's ick anyway :lol:

I'm kind of surprised youth sports are happening. In my admittedly limited experience watching kids practice/play team sports, it's pretty useless to try to keep kids from standing close to and even rolling around with each other. Maybe I've just watched some very undisciplined youth teams!