WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Family meals- I bring something healthy so I have an option other than theirs y ones dieting can eat mine.

Amber Tx

Luby’s closing here last ones they didn’t survive Corona here it’s a Texas restaurant.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,369 Member
    Options
    Heather: I had a pogo stick when I was young. It was all the rage for a while here. I was quite good on it. Never could manage a hula hoop for long though!!! 😂

My uncle worked in the local Tri-ange toy factory, so we got lots of reject toys cheap.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Katla: Facebook is constantly updating, and is now owned by Google. If you are going in regularly the changes wouldn't be noticeable, as they have happened gradually.

Actually, Facebook is not owned by Google. Zuckerberg still owns nearly 58% and is by far the largest shareholder. https://www.investopedia.com/articles/insights/082216/top-9-shareholders-facebook-fb.asp. Of course mergers and acquisitions news changes often and perhaps I missed something.

I don't use my computer for logging into FB often. I use my phone and it seems mostly the same. I just keep it to stay in touch with family and friends mostly. Right now there is so much politically charged stuff that I haven't been logging in.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Did the Bristol statue toppling get onto your news? The statue of Edward Colston was toppled from its plinth and thrown into the river. He was a slave trader who has halls and streets named after him all over the city. I was at university in Bristol 67-70 and hardly heard anything about the slave trade, which was of huge importance to the wealth of the city. I don't condone violence, but the statue should have been dealt with years ago. Perhaps made part of an installation, or moved.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Yes, it did. I saw something about it this morning.

Tina
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Terri - I loved my hula hoop too. I was at it for hours! When my dad was off to work he would have to lean over to kiss me goodbye without interrupting my hula hooping. Woe betide him if he touched it and ruined my record attempt! My favourite toy was my red metallic scooter I called Flaming Star. But I did have fun on my pogo stick. We also played a lot of hopscotch. A London childhood.

Karen - for some reason I missed what happened to your dad. Could you bear to repeat it for me. Sorry. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,369 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I’m like you with food. I’ve eaten the same meals On certain days since the late 1980’s. It helps with planning for shopping trips.

I eat the same breakfast every morning.

I have a loose 3 week main meal schedule which stems from when I was a working mother. It used to be a 4 week schedule, but I had to give up eating roast lamb, as it gave me horrendous heartburn.
    DH likes his Sunday roast, and he cooks it while I do veggies; We rotate chicken, pork and beef roasts.
    Mon/Tues I use the roast meat in a casserole or stir fry;
    Wed I do a cold meat Salad Bar;
    Thurs we improvise;
    Fri he does fish( usually salmon) + sides;
    Sat he does venison, burgers, or sausages from our butcher, with sides.

I use up leftovers for my lunch, or have soup or salad. He makes his own sandwiches.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara: The vet is someone I trust and rely on for good advice. He says to keep watching for a while and we’ll know when our dog will need surgery. Since we came home the lesion disappeared. Good for now, but we’ll keep watching. We expect it to reappear. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a long while before we need to worry again. :heart:

Heather: Edie looks determined to conquer the pogo stick. If she does, good for her. I never succeeded with a pogo stick. :wink:

Machka: Your imagined kindergarten behavior seems likely. Here, schools are closed. We hope they will be able to reopen in September. Keeping my fingers crossed. :star: Your many computer screens are amazing. We have three, not counting smart phones. I have a laptop & DH has a desktop and an Ipad. I think that is enough for two retired adults. You are employed in a highly technical capacity and your many computers are necessary for you to work from home. :smiley:

Terri: Thanks for the information about facebook now being owned by google. It helps me understand why things are different than I expected. :star:

Allie: Keep us in the loop. I hope that you’re not affected by Lyme disease. Get yourself checked out ASAP. Prompt antibiotic treatment is the best way to protect yourself. Our friend Mary had Lyme disease from a tick bite several years ago. She survived it back then. I don’t remember seeing her post in quite a while. The last I recall they were summering in their home state and wintering in AZ. :star:

SuziQ: I’m sorry it will be so challenging to get rid of a working piece of furniture that has been cared for well. :ohwell: Perhaps you could advertise it as “Vintage Formica Chest of Drawers. Collector’s item. . .”

I’ve been shopping and also gone on a walk through our old town area because there are two places in that neighborhood that will be on our Planning Committee meeting this week. My shopping trip provided me some needed food items and a lovely little geranium that is now in a hanging basket beside our kitchen window.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: Your Writing area is much tidier than mine 😂
    The photograph on my wall is with my father at my graduation in 1980. The pen and ink sketch is one I did from a photo of my daughters as part of my final exhibition. The photgraph is one I did a few years ago.
    (My degree was in education, and I majored in Maths and Art. Photography, ceramics, and textiles were some of the elements of my degree course.)

4ylw3s6jad6q.jpg

So sweet Terri! Love the drawing and your grad pick. Happy smiles! You should see my desk when I am writing letters! Its piles, stickers, and crayons everywhere!
    💖Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My "writing area" looks like I'm about to land a plane.

Any photos I've got show up on screensavers rather than the walls.

But I've got a great view out two windows! :)

13rtq3sogr7n.png

M in Oz

Wowsa! You are an air traffic controller yep!😁
    💖Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: What a wonderful message from your son. YAY!❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    today is my 3000 delivery streak. i didn't know
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Karen - Thank you for going through all that again for me. You never, ever, get over something like that. Life is very much a before and after. <3 Sorry about your family members cursed with those genes. :'(
    I have never got further than writing about killing myself in short stories, which must have taken the edge off as I never actually did it. One short story, which was published, is called Lunch Is Served and is a fantasy about eating to death. My eating was so out of control that I saw that as the only way out. It's my maternal line that carries the suicidal and depression genes in my family. Too gruesome to relate. My ex's maternal side is schizophrenia.
    We are still here. We keep on keeping on. Strong at the broken places.

Unicycle! That is H..A..R..D!

Katla - That was Bea on the pogo stick. She is looking so grown up these days! They all seem to have grown up so quickly during the crisis.

I've been putting off writing about the next bit of my memoir. My usual procrastination. Tomorrow I will get to it. Sometimes I find my teenage self a little hard to take.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    Options
    His doctor changed his meds. Now it is getting through this next week while this one works out or his system. He will need to learn to self monitor himself as he goes on the next one. I think he is more willing to let me help him learn to do this now. He has had a very long road.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the encouragement...
    Yes Barbie- im slow on the pick up sometimes..
    Today was no better ,i did write my brother a 4 page letter and sent it off,but he said when i go to take care of Faith he will be going back up north..
    He knows i am upset and he hasnt apologized..
    Right now my place looks like a bomb went off in it clothes and junk everywhere.. tomorrow i will get things together and get the place cleaned up..
    I told Sean that he and I have different genetics which is true..he is adopted
    And how I get myself into situations where i get bullied has happened all my life.. heck maybe i should be the one in therapy lol..
    I am enjoying the quiet and peace here at my condo and dont mind spending time with just Alfie and I..
    Jean asked if i would work this weekend so i will work.. and sock the money away..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    (((Allie)))
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Heather- I grew up listening to all the Rogers and Hammerstein Musicals ..
    And I being my laptop up for Faith and try and put those on for her,sometimes she is in the mood to watch and sometimes not..
    But she loves music..so i try and keep.something going for her most of the time there..
    Yes and the end of Carousel and you never walk alone makes me cry everytime.. and was played at a friend of mines funeral..
    I will get my hiney in gear tomorrow ..