Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    MP. Very clever. How nice of you to do that for them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    I'm in Nebraska, and not much of the daily grind has changed here. It did for about 6-8 weeks, but now things are opening back up. I work at 3 COVID testing facilities, so I have dealt with a lot of the highs and lows. Personally, other than my kids having online learning, I still go about business as usual.

The frustrating thing right now is that the schools still don't know how they are going to operate come fall. They allowed families to vote on 3 options, all of which are ugly....either A. We continue remote learning (which was a complete joke and left many kids, mine included, feeling set back) B. Schools split students down by 50% by rotating every other week. Again, not a great option since many parents will be back to work and daycare costs are outrages. C. Split the school day in half, with 50% of the kids going in the morning and the other 50% in the afternoon.

As for prep, our shelves are well stocked in the stores, with the exception of Lysol wipes. Most businesses are back up and running, and more and more people are starting to come out. As of yesterday's press conference, the hospitals in my area still have 80% vents available, and 75% of beds available.

I was incredibly sick in February, and testing negative for the FLU. One of the gals I was training just had an antibody test done because he mom was sick in January....they both had antibodies. If had the extra cash, I'd get tested because I am pretty much convinced I had it.

Huh? You have to pay to be tested for Covid? We don't.

I meant for the antibody testing, but yes....we have had people calling stating that they thought the COVID test was free. We send the tests through LabCorp and they have been charging nearly $100 for the test.

Now if you give blood, they will give you a free antibody test. I think because they want to know if your blood has antibodies anyway, so they'll be testing anyway, and just give you the result.

This isn't universal. I donated last Thursday and they are not doing that.

They aren't doing that everywhere here, but I googled about and found a center (with locations around the country) that is:

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/chicago-blood-center-offering-free-covid-19-antibody-test-with-donation/

Interesting.

Did a GIS and apparently the Red Cross is doing it everywhere. Other blood donation centers are doing it on a location-by-location basis.

Dang, if only I was allowed to donate blood...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    The Red Cross bus was parked at the Lowe's front door 3 days ago but I did not talk to anyone doing the collecting. The last I read the antibody testing results where high in false negative and false positive results. I want the test but am waiting for improved testing results.

Yeah, that's what I've read too, unfortunately.

I mainly just want it because I am curious anyway.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Italy is doing free antibody testing of selective people all over the country to get data. They call you and tell you where to go to be tested. Problem is, the response hasn't been what was expected. Reading the paper today the reason given is fear that testing positive will result in quaranteening, and people don't want that. So, about a third agree to have it done.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Our area is still considered a hot spot yet I see very few people wearing masks... seems to be site specific. The outdoor custard trailer? We are normally the only ones wearing them both while waiting and ordering... them we take our stuff back to the vehicle. Very few people following the distancing suggestions, large groups congregating. Aldi (grocery store) is 50/50 probably. They have taken up their directional stickers, but still limiting numbers in the store, wiping down carts between customers, limiting check out contact (you have to wait until the other person’s items have cleared the belt before loading yours, wiping down pin pad, etc), and I have noticed most everywhere that more stuff is packaged now (produce) which is good for contamination purposes but stinks in terms of added packaging to throw away and also not be able to choose items or amounts now.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm downtown today, rather than in my neighborhood, and outdoors it seems like fewer people are wearing masks and many who are are wearing them around their chin (or occasionally over the mouth but not nose). There is NO difficulty getting masks here.

The good thing is that the buildings are being very strict about social distancing and masks -- you can't go in them without masks -- and there are few enough people downtown that social distancing isn't hard, but it still seems odd. Partly it's probably because it's hot, partly because the people walking around outside are from a much broader range of areas than those you see in my neighborhood.

Not bothersome, but odd.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Ayup. ^^The imaginary mask thing. Wear it down below your nose and mouth. I saw this at the hospital when my relative was getting a blood test and it was the nurse. Why bother.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Here's something I just thought about (maybe you guys have too...)

IF someone has already had the virus they likely won't be offered the first round of vaccines I wouldn't think, unless they are "essential workers" [cough].

What do you think? Do you think they will test people before vaccinating? That would be the sensible thing to do with vaccines being in such high demand when they get to market. It seems like several companies could have vaccines in six months or so...wonder who gets them after first responders/medical personnel? Of course I'd like it to be people over 65...
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Ayup. ^^The imaginary mask thing. Wear it down below your nose and mouth. I saw this at the hospital when my relative was getting a blood test and it was the nurse. Why bother.

Most or all hospitals here wouldn’t have let you in.

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Here's something I just thought about (maybe you guys have too...)

IF someone has already had the virus they likely won't be offered the first round of vaccines I wouldn't think, unless they are "essential workers" [cough].

What do you think? Do you think they will test people before vaccinating? That would be the sensible thing to do with vaccines being in such high demand when they get to market. It seems like several companies could have vaccines in six months or so...wonder who gets them after first responders/medical personnel? Of course I'd like it to be people over 65...

We already have that with flu vaccinations here - over 65, or with a pre-existing condition get it first. Then this year it was essential workers next, and then the rest of the population.
    So I am guessing it would be similar.

Our covid-free status has ended. 2 people who came into the country and were released early from quarantine to see a dying family member have now tested positive.
  • cmriverside
    edited June 2020
    Options
    So, yay for being old, right? I'm all about cutting in line. I haven't had a face-to-face friendly conversation in months. I'm OVER this whole social distancing thing. I live alone and have no family and I miss the small social life I had, the stores, I'm even afraid to get my teeth cleaned.

I agree @kimny72 - we don't pre-test flu shot candidates and then there's the whole anti-vaxxer thing. :lol: Well, Oregon does have a low infection rate, may as well just tick that state's box as, "Don't need it." (There is a significant anti-vax contingency in OR.)

Time will tell. Bring on the needles, I say.

..and @jo_nz , we do have 360 Million people here and well over 2 million cases, so our situation is decidedly different.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I’m a senior..I plan to get it as soon as I can!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    But I'm even wondering if they will ask people, "Have you tested positive?" Of course, Public Health will have us on record if we did and that would probably mean being disqualified from the vaccine? I don't know. I guess it is all a wait-and-see thing.

I mean, the push to get enough vaccine out there for the billions of at-risk people in the world is pretty intense. Not everyone will get the vaccine in time.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested in a vaccine, eventually. I don't think I necessarily want to be first in line for the new "skip some steps to rush to market" vaccine. I don't do a lot of social stuff, so I'm just risking myself and my husband, here. He's not much more social than me, either. I guess my coworkers, too - but they can't be bothered to wear masks, and don't seem to understand social distancing. I think they're endangering me more than I am them. We'll see how risky the vaccine is, compared to the disease.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    But I'm even wondering if they will ask people, "Have you tested positive?" Of course, Public Health will have us on record if we did and that would probably mean being disqualified from the vaccine? I don't know. I guess it is all a wait-and-see thing.

I mean, the push to get enough vaccine out there for the billions of at-risk people in the world is pretty intense. Not everyone will get the vaccine in time.

Ah, but there are many that are working on it and will produce it. I'm hopeful. In Italy, we should have it by Fall. Yes, I know the vaccine itself can be a risk. We will evaluate when the time comes.

Oh, I am with you snowflake. I'm pretty amazed at how quickly it seems to be going. I was pretty skeptical that a vaccine would be produced this quickly. I guess time will tell as to its effectiveness. It's an awfully large "experiment."