Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    SmallMimi wrote: »
    @earlnabby

I have also been told that using a non woven lining in between the two fabric layers is best. I had some fusible interfacing and made mask using higher thread count fabrics. Sheets are a great idea, I have some 600 count sheets I have been saving to use as drop cloths. Now we just need to be able to find elastic which would be easier than making my own bias tape for ties. Local stores have been sold out of Bias tape, elastic, shoe laces, etc, for weeks and online stores are projecting that they cannot ship until May.

Thank you for taking care of your local Humane Society!

Try finding hair bands. I have heard they work.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    Going back to animals testing positive - is this now a risk to consider? Our neighbor’s dog comes over often to play with our dog (both neighbor dogs actually)... do I need to worry that our dog could share COVID either direction?

Totally aside from the issue of the dogs being infected, most people pet their dogs. I doubt many of them are washing their hands before they do so. So now any virus they may have shed onto surfaces they've touched or directly onto their hands is now on their dog's coat. I'm guessing when the dogs play together, there is some contact between their coats. Now you need to give dog a really good bath before letting it back in the house.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I am really introverted and the first 10 days were fine. The last week I have been struggling with just an overall feeling of frustration. I live alone so I like being by myself, but i have realized that I need some kind of interaction, or at least to get out of my house every day. I am disabled, so I can't just go out and walk or jog or exercise outside, so I just get in my car and drive around. I have been stopping at the convenience store for a pop every couple of days.

I actually think the virus went through my area back at the end of January/early February. We only have 9 cases in our county at the moment. There were a lot of people who had respiratory issues, and short of breath. I got sick Feb. 8th with a sore throat and headache, then fever, coughing and somewhat short of breath, but didn't realize it at the time. If I sat in a chair and stayed still, I was fine. If I breathed in deep, I would hit a point where it felt harder to push past that point and if I did, I would cough for a minute or two. I remember the first day thinking I was coming down with a cold, then my fever spiked to 102 a couple of times. Otherwise, was around 99. I even remember saying to my coworker that for having a cold, I wasn't sneezing much. All but one day I felt well enough to go to work, so I did. In talking to several people in the last few weeks, a lot of them think they had it around the same time also.

So that feeling that I already had it isn't helping me want to stay home.

You mean that only 9 people have tested positive in your county. Unless there is universal testing, we cannot assume that the number testing positive is actually the exact number who have it.

I think it is important to remember that about 25% of all colds are caused by other coronaviruses. I have been really sick with "just a cold" several times in the past 20 years (I can't remember before that).

If the illness wasn't spreading like wildfire and causing hospitals in your area to become overwhelmed, it probably wasn't COVID-19. That's what has been characteristic of this coronavirus from the get-go in China; it didn't have to mutate to that point. It isn't just about someone sick with fever and shortness of breath (or any other cluster of symptoms). It's the speed of transmission and the high rate of hospitalization necessary for 20% or so of those infected.

Please stay safe and stay well.

I've had lots of colds over the years also, and never had shortness of breath and basically no sneezing. Also, colds don't usually cause a fever. We had half our kids absent from school over a 2 week period, which was huge, more than normal, the last half of February. 80% of people don't need to be in the hospital, which is a pretty high percentage, most people have just mild symptoms. Even if 20% needed hospitalized, I don't think it would necessarily overwhelm our hospitals any more than usual. We live in a rural county in Iowa, with several hospitals spread out around the area. They always see a huge spike in Jan/Feb with Flu/Bronchitis, and other respiratory things. They weren't bothering to test people for COVID until the beginning of March. Not outside the realm of possibility that people had it in the weeks leading up to March, even people in the hospital.

I will be interested to get the antibody test to verify.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I am really introverted and the first 10 days were fine. The last week I have been struggling with just an overall feeling of frustration. I live alone so I like being by myself, but i have realized that I need some kind of interaction, or at least to get out of my house every day. I am disabled, so I can't just go out and walk or jog or exercise outside, so I just get in my car and drive around. I have been stopping at the convenience store for a pop every couple of days.

I actually think the virus went through my area back at the end of January/early February. We only have 9 cases in our county at the moment. There were a lot of people who had respiratory issues, and short of breath. I got sick Feb. 8th with a sore throat and headache, then fever, coughing and somewhat short of breath, but didn't realize it at the time. If I sat in a chair and stayed still, I was fine. If I breathed in deep, I would hit a point where it felt harder to push past that point and if I did, I would cough for a minute or two. I remember the first day thinking I was coming down with a cold, then my fever spiked to 102 a couple of times. Otherwise, was around 99. I even remember saying to my coworker that for having a cold, I wasn't sneezing much. All but one day I felt well enough to go to work, so I did. In talking to several people in the last few weeks, a lot of them think they had it around the same time also.

So that feeling that I already had it isn't helping me want to stay home.

I think your story may apply to several of us. I expect it will be a while before we can just pop in for an antibody test. In the mean time I plan to keep my antioxidant intake is as high as possible to help ward off the 'ground glass' looking lungs if I develop COVID-19. One way or another this will all be behind us one day. :)

It seems Amazon may be running smoother. Monday I order six different health related items and I noticed all shipped from Nashville TN early this morning. On my last order my items shipped from 8 difference warehouses as far away as Las Vegas.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My town in ate as has had Covid for 3 months already so possible Very possible.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My town in ate as has had Covid for 3 months already so possible Very possible.

How do you know this? Are you in the US?
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    USA 🇺🇸 San Antonio Texas our bases received the first case to cruise ships even.
    I know this because they announced it’s been 3 months a few days ago. I been in isolation over a month now left only 1x for food. Here’s our timeline started in November here. https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Coronavirus-live-updates-A-timeline-of-COVID-19-15101570.php

10ftpmnm9rjx.jpeg

It was contained to the base medical only until they oopsie let a lady out she went shopping 🛍 at the mall . Cleche sounding but true. Then the community cases were snowballing.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited April 2020
    Options
    China’s coming out of quarantine but the social distancing y precautions are the new norm. We should do the same https://apple.news/AHglO5RcwQyWkwGFuYRC12w
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    USA 🇺🇸 San Antonio Texas our bases received the first case to cruise ships even.
    I know this because they announced it’s been 3 months a few days ago. I been in isolation over a month now left only 1x for food. Here’s our timeline started in November here. https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Coronavirus-live-updates-A-timeline-of-COVID-19-15101570.php

10ftpmnm9rjx.jpeg

It was contained to the base medical only until they oopsie let a lady out she went shopping 🛍 at the mall . Cleche sounding but true. Then the community cases were snowballing.

This says first case outside of the base was on Mar. 13. There is no mention of when it was at the base.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

10ftpmnm9rjx.jpeg

This says first case outside of the base was on Mar. 13. There is no mention of when it was at the base.

One of the links on there says that the first quarantined case with a positive test on the base was on Feb 12.

The one who went to the mall was released from base on Feb 29th.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    February 7th one of the many planes we have gotten landed full of them even a few were sick already. The bases started making changes around here before that even.
    https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Coronavirus-evacuees-expected-in-San-Antonio-on-15035839.php

Wuhan had it since November https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

Some isn’t written we just seeing in with our own eyes y ears we didn’t even know what they were talking about yet as base members talked to each other passing us by in the stores.

Their thinking a few had it before that but was misdiagnosed deaths y illness
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

10ftpmnm9rjx.jpeg

One of the links on there says that the first quarantined case with a positive test on the base was on Feb 12.

The one who went to the mall was released from base on Feb 29th.

OK, I didn't read the other article, then... but that is not even 2 months. @RsLateInLifeMom said 3 months. Not sure where that came from, but Feb. it was spreading quite a few places. Interestingly enough, Albany, GA had the 2nd highest infection rate per-capita in the U.S. at one time (1st was NYC) - maybe still does, but I haven't checked in a week or so. As @lemurcat2 pointed out, most of the areas with high infection rates are large cities with major transportation hubs and lots of people with close connections to China. Except Albany, GA does not fit that description. The reason Albany, GA had such a high infection rate is because someone visited on 2/29 for a funeral and spread it to several others who then spread it throughout the community in the first few weeks of March. By the time other people started showing symptoms, it was already spread everywhere.

Here's an article detailing it: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/us/coronavirus-funeral-albany-georgia.html?fbclid=IwAR0nxNvILgasGzzKiydK01UDvUSZgHHhU6fx4MSBZ661x7fxuu5vtJKpxOE

Here's a photo of me in Albany, GA taken on 3/7/20 while it was brewing:
    38gh9bpi45s5.jpg

In hindsight, it would have been wise to cancel that event. I admit I would have been rather upset if they had done that, but neither the RD nor I knew at that time what was happening.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    February 6th plane had 2 but we already had someone from Wuhan before them at the base when they were still just whispers no news reports yet or knowledge of the virus
    dyettclfk1ww.jpeg

I saw hazmat suits removing a family from an apartment into ambulances 🚑 on February 24th at an civilian apartment buildings isolated myself immediately baby too we were coming back from Chuckie Cheese . Never seen anything like it before.