60 yrs and up

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure, or how many calories your body burns in a day. Your total energy expenditure in a day will depend on factors such as how much exercise you do.

Here's a link if you want to see what a simple TDEE calculator looks like: https://www.calculator.net/tdee-calculator.html. As mentioned above in this thread, these online TDEE calculators are not all that accurate (for a more advanced one, you could google the Sailrabbit TDEE calculator referenced by AnnPT77 above).

If anyone needs, it, it's at https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • bionicdeb58
    bionicdeb58 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi fellow fitness pals! Due to a lot of health issues, my doctor suggested I try eating more plant based to increase my longevity. We just started 5 days ago, and we are eating more plant based meals, but haven't cut out meat altogether. We will mix it up every week and see what happens. :)
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Good luck..my sis & bil are total plant based, no oil & seem to be doing great with it. I can’t quite do it myself, although it is getting more interesting to me to try!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member
    Good luck with it! I cut out red meat several Years ago. I still have fish and poultry.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) I cut out meat entirely a few years ago and then gradually added some back in. Now I eat chicken and some pork. I haven't eaten red meat in well over 10 years.

:) Hooray, the rain is over for awhile. I'm looking forward to more time digging in the dirt in my yard.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • marie19781
    marie19781 Posts: 123 Member
    Good Morning. Our gym reopens 6/22. I’ve paid for TRX classes so will complete those. Does anyone go to 24Fitness? Will we be scheduling our gym time? Also, how do you feel about going back to the gym? I need to tone up and drop a few Covid lbs. so I’ve started logging foods regularly and walking mornings with a friend.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    marie19781 wrote: »
    Good Morning. Our gym reopens 6/22. I’ve paid for TRX classes so will complete those. Does anyone go to 24Fitness? Will we be scheduling our gym time? Also, how do you feel about going back to the gym? I need to tone up and drop a few Covid lbs. so I’ve started logging foods regularly and walking mornings with a friend.

I was glad to go back when the gym opened. Just spending a little more time wiping down equipment - otherwise no difference for me.

• rosegreen12
    rosegreen12 Posts: 35 Member
    edited June 2020
    I posted on here before, I think, about six months ago, but I can't find my post so here goes - I'm 64, have lost 61 lbs (over the last year and 1/2), have 4 grandkids-2 teens and 2 toddlers, I want to lose 4 more lbs but it just is going up and down a lb or two all the time. I'm not watching my twin toddlers super often like I was before since my daughter is unemployed now due to Covid, I moved to an apartment that I don't feel safe walking in (except to my car) and this lockdown has me going nuts, depressed/anxious/bored. Luckily I'm not much of an emotional eater (in fact, I tend when I get depressed to not feel like eating). I'm stuck. Any ideas? I decided to lose weight due to 1) vanity, 2) energy to keep up with the twins and 3) less of a chance for either diabetes or dementia. Oh, and ideas for a lower abdominal pooch that is less but not gone and is saggy.
  • marie19781
    marie19781 Posts: 123 Member
    alteredsteve175,
    Thanks
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    marie19781 wrote: »

:) I don't go to a gym, but my exercise with others is a class in my neighborhood clubhouse and line dance classes at the Elk's Club. Neither of these facilities is allowing anyone in so I don't have to decide whether to go. My husband is very high risk, so I am likely to continue sheltering at home except for essential shopping even when the facilities reopen.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Hey everyone how ya all doing? Haven’t been on for awhile. Being a slacker lately. But back on it today . Did some yard work today and had grandkids . So I went for 3 walks with them. Well have a good evening 🤓🦋🌹💖🌷
  • dawkson2017
    dawkson2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi to Pippo_11
    I am a new member, but a similar profile to you. Highish colesterol.... 6.5 but no meds. Bmi of 21, at my ideal weight. I want to get more energy.... i seem to hibernate in Australian winter..... being in Lockdown doesnt help in one way....good excuse not to go out! But good in another way.... no pub meals and drinks!
    Persist and Resist
  • BobWillers
    BobWillers Posts: 33 Member
    Hello, at 65 please add me.
    I'm devastated, 4 years ago I was 18 stone and had a heart attack, I lost 4 stone by using MFP but now I've slipped back and I'm 17 stone as of today (lockdown don't help). I can't exercise much due to arthritis, I keep falling over and hurting myself even more, but I'm determined to lose 3 stone at least. I don't snack so I'm guessing portion size is my problem.
    Thanks
    Bob
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member
    Hi carb days are a real thing! Yesterday was a doozy! Oh well, as Steve said, we still have to live and celebrate what life has to offer. Slow and steady wins the race. Bob, I don't know how many pounds equal a stone, going to check out on google. Try some chair exercises. You might enjoy them.
  • catdrafter
    catdrafter Posts: 1 Member
    I am 61 and need to lose 40 lbs. I live near Kansas City, Missouri.
  • 2020shih
    2020shih Posts: 20 Member
    Its such a strange day weather wise .rain wind than sunshine.
    We had a lovely dogs walk. than I did the couch to 5k feeling positive this week after a slow start to the month.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    catdrafter wrote: »
    I am 61 and need to lose 40 lbs. I live near Kansas City, Missouri.

Hi, I'm Teresa and I'm 62 and live in KCMO. Welcome to this group. There's alot of supportive people here that can answer your questions and help you along your way.
  • BobWillers
    BobWillers Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2020
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Slow and steady wins the race. Bob, I don't know how many pounds equal a stone, going to check out on google. Try some chair exercises. You might enjoy them.
    Thats 42 pounds trekkie. I'll look into chair exercises (although I fell off one yesterday and broke it bruising a couple of ribs).

My daughter arrived earlier for Father's Day. She brought me a jar of pickled eggs, a six pack of potato chips and a bottle of wine. bless her, I never said a word other than thank you.