Today I Burnt ______ Calories Doing _____!

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Today was an off day, but I burnt about 90 calories doing fitness testing in my Exercise Science class.
    I did 42 sit ups in a minute, gripped w/ 70 lbs of pressure, did 20 pushups (could've done more but I did plyometric and navy seal pushups yesterday, and I was SO sore), got 44 inches on sit&reach, and got a vertical jump of 13 inches.

Oooh, I want to be tested! I could do the sit ups and push ups myself, but don't know how to do the grip or vertical jump. Not worried about flexibility - most people would say I'm too flexy.

Yea, I'm thinking I have no spindle apparatus because my muscles stretch without any complaint, my foot can sit next to my ear and I barely feel it!
    The grip test uses a special little gadget..you fit it to your hand size and squeeze as hard as possible. I do regular grip training, so I have to say mine is great hehe :bigsmile: The vertical jump is literally just a jump lol...you put a piece of tape on the wall while standing and extending your arm straight up. Then you jump as high as possible and stick another piece at the top of your jump. 13 inches is avg., which is fine because I don't train for that. It's pretty cool stuff, and with the exception of the goniometry (measuring angles of flexibility) and grip test, you could do that all at home if you wanted.
  • adelespears
    Options
    Today was an off day for me, but I was late for class, so I decided to ride my bike to class in stead of walking to save time. Well, it's quick to ride TO class, cause it's all downhill... I live at the top of the campus. ...but coming home was hell. haha. I burned about 350 calories today riding around campus and all, so I'm pretty pleased! and usually, coming up the hill, I'd have to stop about 3 times to catch my breath and for my legs to stop being wobbly, but I only had to stop once today! I'm feeling pretty good!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Ok so I put my son down for a nap, sat my daughter in front of the tv for some quality babysitting!!! And worked out on the Elliptical machine for 45 minutes, burning 664 calories!!!!!!! Now I'm eating an apple and entering my data....then hopefully I can jump in the shower before my son wakes up!!!!!!
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Today I burnt an unknown amount of calories just trying to breathe, stupid flu and bronchitis has got me! :cry: Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I'm sure that I probably did burn some calories wheezing and hacking.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Today I burnt an unknown amount of calories just trying to breathe, stupid flu and bronchitis has got me! :cry: Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I'm sure that I probably did burn some calories wheezing and hacking.

Actually, your BMR will increase when you're experiencing an immune response. The same goes for broken bones, and especially burns. People with extreme burns need to take in huge amounts of calories. So you are burning more than usual hehe :happy: But feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • jamiel
    Options
    Today I burnt 1450 calories doing 30 minutes on the elipitical and 60 minutes at Tae Kwon Do
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Today I burnt
    359 calories on a long walk, and 218 calories doing Quigong.

Pretty good for me because exercise is not my strong point:frown: :embarassed:
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Today I burned 417 calories on the Elliptical, 382 horseback riding, unknown number mucking out stalls (30 Min) ....and my wife drug me grocery shopping which should be at least double the calories it actually takes just in boredom!!!!
    Cowboy
  • esp331
    esp331 Posts: 13
    Options
    I love this topic, hehe!

Today was my first day doing Bikram Yoga (hot yoga)! There is a place right down the street from me but I haven't been able to afford to go until now. I also thought I would hate the heat but your body adjusts very quickly by sweating and it feels SO GOOD when you're done! Yay!

Today I burned 885 calories in 90 min and I hardly feel like I worked out! If you haven't tried Bikram Yoga- you should go!! It's great for EVERYONE. Just remember to drink water!

Now my challenge is to eat back all of those calories!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Yikes. Pressure. I go to the gym at 8:30 PM PT. My usual burn is 650. I'll have to check back.

Songbyrd - it's all your fault I have to buy the Polar F11. It's either that or the new Zen music player. Decisions.......

I have the Zen too! My bf got that for my when my other one was stolen. It's cute, lasts several hours between charges too.

Song, do you have the newest (credit card size) Zen with the SD slot? If so, any drawbacks? I already have a Zen V Plus (2GB) which is all I really need, I like how small it is and how easy to load with video and pictures as well as music. The screen is killer - - such a better deal than the iPods.

I decided to give Creative one more year - if I buy one I want all the bugs worked out so I can buy the 32GB. So - - I'm getting a refurbished V Plus (4GB) for $49 from Creative. I'm going on a 7 day trip, and I'll take both so I have a backup should one go wonky on me. $49 for 4GB - why not? Ya can't do vacation with no music (lots of travel time, too.)

And with all the money I saved, I'm buying the Polar F11. Techno envy is the worst. :tongue:

Oh! calories burned: 560, AMTi and Circuit. Nite.....:yawn:

~Cheryl
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I burnt 465 cal on the elliptical...still waiting for my HRM.
  • PammyB3130
    Options
    Today I Burnt 800 Calories Doing TaeBo for an hour!!! What a great workout!!
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    lets talk about the calories I'd like to be burning.At 55 I envy you younger girls. I once was energetic,and sadly its all gone downhill. I had a major abdominal surgury two weeks ago,and still try to do some mild fitness. I have managed to lose 1 1/2 in. from my bust,and 3 from my hips and nothing from my my swollen middle. At 200 lbs. I have a bum knee,and bad hip. I bought several fitness videos,a ball, and I have a home gym,I try but don't feel very effective. I'd like too lose a ton,and be more healthy and active. Any suggestions for me? You girls seem to know what your doing. Also has anyone tried calorie shifting , and does it work? Thanks and good luck
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    So far today I calculate that I have burnt about 800 calories going up and down the stairs and running all over work!

We're doing a recruitment today and I've been setting up, carrying and walking candidates all over City Hall.
  • bew102
    bew102 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today I burned 650 doing walking and running on a treadmill.
  • angie2803
    Options
    Today I burnt 199 calories. I'm glad I've got the dog to walk, 'cause I wouldn't go out in -24C weather!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Today I burnt only 151 calories by jogging in place for 20 minutes.
    Battling some depression... stayed in bed all morning.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Today I burnt 814 calories doing 75 minutes of lifting, 40 minutes on the elliptical, and 2 sets of abs.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Today, I burnt:
    440 calories in spin class
    95 calories walking to the gym and back
    and 95 calories in a weight training class using the heaviest weights I could manage. So that I can be HALF as buff as songbyrdsweet.:wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Today I burned (burnt / whatever) 360 calories doing outside walking with cat-stroller, and 180 calories indoors stretch-band conditioning and bicycle crunches.

BTW it is my day off to veg in front of the TV. But it was sunny and lovely out.

Survivor 9 calories, CSI 9 calories. :tongue: 558 total or therabouts.