Kate UK ❤️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I love the duct tape mask. 😎😎😎
  • Katla49
    Options
    Avoid zucchini that is bigger than a newborn baby or bigger in circumference than your own wrist. Feed these to pigs. 🐷Small zucchini is nice sautéed or eaten raw. 😎Medium zucchini is good grated & used in zucchini bread. 😘
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Zucchini- Like many of the other ladies, I try not to buy the bigger zucchini. I find them kind of tough. BUT...if I have one given to me, I will usually shred it and use it in zucchini bread/muffins. If you want to eat it, though, my go to recipes are sliced lengthwise (into strips) and marinated (about 15-30 minutes) in Kraft Sundried Tomato dressing, then grilled. Another yummy way I use zucchini is sliced into coins, then placed on a pan lined with parchment paper and the paper sprinkled (first) with grated parmesan. Place the coins on the parmesan and sprinkle them again with more parmesan. Bake at 375 until golden. They are good alone, but quite often I will use these parmesan zucchini coins as a "base" for a chipless plate of nachos. Add some romaine/lettuce, avocado, pico de gallo, I usually will bake a black bean burger to crumble and add to the nachos. A little hot sauce and some yogurt and I am good to go.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    Iiii
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie - I like the idea that you would be well away from people who continually take advantage of your loving nature, and able to be where you love to be. I know you love the coast now, and to have coast on all sides can only be better. The choice is yours to make, but I can see the yearning in your post. Only you know if you can afford it and if you're willing to live in tiny accommodations in order to obtain that dream. I also know that you're strong enough to choose, because you've done so before.

Trust yourself,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lisa- you are the voice of reason...and you have done alot in the years ive known you.moved all over the place..
    Yes I would miss my kids so much but i see so many of you all living away from your children and grandchildren. Thank goodness for technology i can stay in touch... Ct will tax me to death florida doesnt have that...will fly down next month for a weekend and check it out..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, You are more brave than I with the way you delve into your past. I keep mine in the past and use only the lessons I've learned and leave the experiences alone. My husband has grown to enjoy my friends on MFP. Sometimes he'll ask as how you all are doing and if I have any good stories. He knows some of you by name.

:)Allie, I think you are already doing what I would have suggested to you. You are writing about the advantages and disadvantages of moving and staying. It has to be based on what you value most. No one else can decide for you, because they will use their own values to color their response. For example, if you asked me, I'd answer based on my own opinion of Florida and my own opinion of being near family.

:) I remember throwing up in the doctor's office because I was so terrified of getting a polio shot. It wasn't until I was an adult that I understood that my uncle had died of polio as a young adult when I was three years old and my mother was terrified that her children would suffer the same fate. I also remember being very resentful years later when the oral vaccine came out, that I had to suffer with the shot.

:) Bessie spent the night on the floor by my side of the bed again last night because of fireworks. Fortunately they were over by midnight.

:) About zucchini, the little ones should be sliced and steamed for a healthy and tasty side dish and the big ones should be cut in small chunks and put in the compost bin.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did a Jeanette Jenkins Core Strength DVD. This is mostly stretching. The plan for tomorrow is to ride the recumbent bike

Katla – did you know that the Candyland game was first invented for the kids in polio hospitals?

Karen VA – I’ve become friends with these ladies on a mahjongg site. Vince calls us the MML’s – Midnight Mahjongg Ladies because we usually play late at night. To me, it’s just relaxing before going to bed. Dogs are very tolerant of small children. I really think they know. I remember when Jess was a baby we had a 120lb sheepdog. She, literally, put her finer up his back side. He just walked away. She would pull herself up on him and he never did anything. One time she poked him in the eye and said “eye”. He walked away. Now if I brushed him the wrong way I got growled at. I like to make pineapple zucchini muffins:
    Serves: 24

If using 20oz can of pineapple, double recipe. Make in 2 batches.

Don’t rise much

3-1/4 cup flour (use 1-1/2 ww and 1-1/2 AP)
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2t baking soda
    1/2t ginger
    1 cup carrot, shredded
    8oz pineapple, crushed, drained
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1 cup oatmeal
    2t baking powder
    1/2t salt
    1 cup zucchini, shredded
    1/2 cup raisins
    2 eggs

preheat oven to 400

In large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger

Stir zucchini, carrots, raisins and pineapple into flour mixture

In a separate bowl, beat eggs and oil. Add to flour mixture and stir only until ingredients are moistened

Fill greased muffin tin 3/4 full

Bake 18-20 minutes.

Per serving:
    152 calories
    5g fat
    3g protein
    23g carb
    1g fiber
    16mg chol
    121mg sodium

Vinv UK – congrats on the windfall

Happy Fourth of July everyone who celebrates

Allie – can you take a vacation to Sanibel? While there, you can see how you feel if you moved there. Update: while you’re down there, see how you feel. I love when we go to FL,

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Barbara yes agree as watched her chase rabbit out of son's fenced in yard. So the only time she will be off leash outside is in son's fenced yard. She will never be unsupervised in that yard either especially with I now call her Busteena in the yard behind us across from the alley. She was the pitbull who threatened me. I do have mace and corrected that low spot on the wall with plants. I feel for Busteena. Son has a small yard that is perfect for Drew. Busteena's yard is half the size and she is 4 times as big as Drew. Besides that the yard is now taken up with a big tent and a puddle pool they leave covered so she doesn't even have that. I am aware this can make her even more of a threat because she is not given the space she needs. She is their only dog but there is a lot of coming and going of adult children so it is a busy household. The also leave her in the yard unsupervised.

The reason the owner's gave for giving up Drew is she was peeing and pooping in the house and they were renters. They also had another large dog, two cats, and a seven year old. With the three to four walks we do with her and out door run time in son's yard. It is so fun to watch her chase a toy. No accidents. I saw this with our neighbor mixed Chihuahua. Wendy had another dog to contend with that bullied her, a two year old, a house full of smokers and shamed when she peed in the house. I think seeing that helped me know what to do with Drew. Her one bad habit is over kissing you in the face. I am now rather than laughing and smiling when this happens is to calmly put me hand in front of face and not react. She is already slowing it down. An occasional one is fine and I do enjoy it but not everyone does and as she meets friends I want her to be successful.

Katla you are correct who saves who. DH was not totally on board but as she is worming her way into his heart I say she even loves grumpy old men. Last night I called her a traitor when she went to him and not to me. LOL

Son almost wanted to pass on her because of potty issues. I said I will deal with that I want to go get her.

Now that the likely hood I will not go back to subbing I have the time to give a dog the attention they need.
  • Katla49
    Options
    Allie: My kids live so far from me that I don’t get to see them in person for more than a year between visits. My grandchildren are far away & I miss them. That is hard.

Go to your island for a long visit and then decide what will bring you the most happiness. Choosing well is something that takes thought & time. You will know what is best.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
    This morning I realised I had not set foot outside the house since Friday. 5 days! :o My mood is suffering.

Feeling a bit tearful.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Do you take Vitamin D?

I think you've mentioned before that you don't take much in the way of vitamins and minerals, but Vit D is one that isn't commonly found in food ... it comes from sunshine and if you're not out in the sun each day, you might be low.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
    Last night I booked a campsite for 4 nights for my husband and I. We are borrowing our daughter's camper and I'm looking forward to just getting away from traffic. We are going to stay in Edson, which is just outside Jasper National Park. We'll probably do some hiking on trails in the mountains, hopefully the weather is good. This will be our first "vacation" since 2016 when we each went to New Brunswick separately.

Tracey in Edmonton

:open_mouth:

That's a long time without a vacation!!

And I thought the 18 months I've gone without a "real" vacation was long. By "real" I mean ... no work, no uni, and away from home.

Are you planning to go into the Jasper area? Love it there! That's where my husband and I got married so we try to go there again each time we go to Canada. :)

Machka in Oz