Replies

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    huebtrs3cd1d.jpeg
    *** July 3rd ***

Good morning all~~

Maureen, you are earning enough activity point for everyone at The Cabana Club! Holy smokes!
    That is cute about Skye and the kayaking. You are so, so wise about never boating alone. 👍🏻

Sara - I hope that you have a good day off from Mrs. Monster. 😈

Waving to all who stop by later on~

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

So tomorrow I am going to a socially-distanced, mask-wearing 4th of July gathering of roughly 12 people.
    My assignment is to bring a salad. My go-to salad is a recipe from Mary Ann Esposito of PBS Ciao Italia, and it is really suitable for safely surviving outdoor gatherings in hot weather.

It is a simple salad of baby spinach+mixed greens, sliced mushrooms, shaved parmesan cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper, all tossed together. It's a great salad, which turns out "fancier" and more "elegant" than it sounds on paper, maybe because of the combo of the balsamic vinegar and the mushrooms.

My dilemma is that the host contacted me yesterday to say that vegans are coming to the gathering and that I should have the parmesan cheese on the side.

I am kind of bummed about this because the salad loses a lot without the parmesan cheese, and I feel that if the parmesan cheese is on the side of the salad, few people will add it in.

I am thinking of taking two salad bowls and labeling the big bowl "has cheese" and the medium-sized one "vegan". Doing this will also solve my problem of not having a super-huge serving bowl.

So I'm looking for opinions: What do you think I should do?

Thank you~

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,331 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Lana I vote for 2 bowls as salad with the ingredients tossed together is not the same and stuff added in at the last moment. I am mailing you something with any luck today - just checked they are closed tomorrow so good news.

Grocery shopping and then a couple errands. I should get done before lunch. So it is the rest of the day that I need to consider.

Wave to all who follow. Stay safe and sane out there.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Lana post office open so keep an eye out.

Bought a snack mix has spicy peanuts in it, that will make sure I dont gobble it down all at once. :o

One more to do and then who knows>??
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Sara - Roger that on the mail! 🙏🏻
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    bnbk7pkkabvv.jpeg

*** SATURDAY July 4th ***

Good morning All~ Happy Independence Day 🌟

Lana
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Lana, I'm sitting here huffing and puffing. Morning workout did not go well. I don't know why it is so hard to jog in the morning--I'm figuring it's age. I intend to stick with it this summer and see if I can adapt. It should be so much easier when it's cooler. But it's not; I'm so stiff. I will try again, and walk more before I start jogging.

I was going to suggest two salad bowls, so now you have two votes for two bowls.

How is everyone else? Sara, still sad for you.

• LanaCabana537
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Good morning Maureen~~

I don't know anything about jogging, but I do know that morning is its own different animal.

In the morning I can be stiff, sluggish, dehydrated, retaining water if I ate sweets or carbs the day before, hungry if I ate carbs previous evening, --and I haven't even started on how well I slept or not.

Plus there's the factor of what do you eat before your jog to fuel your body for that morning run? I could not walk with the Ladies without first having some cereal and milk.
    You have to run on something, even if it's just a cup of milk or orange juice.

I hope that it gets easier for you so you can get your main exercise when it is cool-ish.

Thanks for the salad opinion: I am going with two labeled bowls of salad. 🥗🥗

Lana
  • mkculs13
    Options
    Lana, I realized I was probably stiff from kayaking yesterday--about 2.5 hours in the boat and never stretched after. I'm hoping it gets easier. I ran in the morning through my 30s, and never ate before heading out. Might have to experiment with that now. I love it when I'm experimenting on myself :)
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good morrning,

Power went off this morning for the whole city and the fire system is right outside my door or this one is broken. Neighbor who also works for place fixed it then electricity came on again and it is beeping again - may have to wait until tomorrow to get it fixed. Another day in paradise.

Neighbors are having a gathering and I bringing chips 50 little bags - they said they would grill my steaks (2) for dinners this coming week.

Little on tap today and as sleep will be tough this weekend - napping sounds pretty good.

Wave to all who follow.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Sara - Can that neighbor come again and re-set the fire system?
    That would drive me insane! Are you able to use earplugs and white noise when you sleep?
    Big hugs to you!

As the time draws near to go to this gathering, I am kicking myself for failing to decline the invitation. I do very poorly outside in the heat. I did give the host a warning though that I will likely be able to stay only two hours. Ugh. I hope they have tenting or some shade.

I'll post a full report later, when I collapse into a lounge chair at the Cabana Club🌴 for an ice pack and fanning.

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    The beeping has stopped, I was not going to touch it in case I messed up. Was watching things online with the volume up.....

Lana hope you enjoy the gathering - do kind of a "company Christmas Party" appearance. Yes you know we like details.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Sara - I am relieved for you that the beeping stopped. There is one thing that a "just anybody" cannot muck with, and that is a fire-protection system. You can screw with alarm systems, and other electrical stuff, but definitely back off from fire protection systems--know this from my former work.

The gathering was strange to say the least, but I am glad that I went, had some food, talked with my long-lost colleague and his wife, and then scooted out while the wife was giving a tour of her extensive gardens.

It was extremely hot, and I told my friend that I want to get together soon with only him and his wife, so that we can talk and focus on each other. All of the food was still on the groaning board in a thankfully air-conditioned dining room in the house, so I said I will come again soon to visit and retrieve my stuff.

I really do like these people, but their house and property is huge and weird. Think old hippie and Burning Man and such~~~

LOL! Why do I think I am young still? LOL I am an old F@rt.

Thank goodness the Cabana Boys love all of us, no matter what~

Lana
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Happy Independence Day! Hope everyone had a great day. My day was pretty uneventful. DH has injured himself. I’m just about over this year. Ugh. He has hurt his back, once again...goodness, just seems never ending.

Cardiologist has not mentioned any other tests, yet. We shall see what we find out on Monday. I’m just hoping for answers.

Have a great weekend, everyone...
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

aupz9xfbku0z.jpeg
    *** Sunday, July 5th ***

Good morning All~~

Dawn - I hope that whatever happened to DH's back gets better pronto!

*waving to Antoine for more coffee....*

Lana
  • mkculs13
    Options
    Dawn, I'm so sorry. You know that saying, when it rains, it pours? Well, you are having a deluge. I hope you will be kind to yourself to help you get through it. I know I tend to get down on myself when things all seem to go sidewise, so please take good care of yourself instead.

Sara, glad the beeping stopped. How annoying. Did you have massive fireworks on top of that to deal with, too?

Lana, sounds like it was a decent outing and well-managed to keep virus concerns at bay.

I was up and out again this morning, so I'm feeling quite virtuous. That's the best thing about getting exercise done early in the morning--one can feel so smug :) hahahahaha. Seriously, though, it means I get the rest of the day to do whatever I want and I don't have to plan for doing it later, wondering if I will somehow let myself off the hook, derail my progress, slide back to all the old ways . . . Back is still quite stiff and I'll be trying some of my exercises again today to start strengthening it. I haven't done anything in about 2 months now and I can't afford to have it go all whacky on me.

I need to keep a schedule somewhere of the things I need to (must) do, want to do, should do. The more time I have, the less productive I am. I'd like to keep a notebook, something not digital. Maybe I can dig up one later today, or shop for one. I have to go back to the pet store to exchange Skye's lifevest; I got one that is too big. And now is a good time for it; the kayaks are on the car, which is at the service center. But I have to wait for my 2nd son to get home to have a car to drive.

Hoping you all have a nice Sunday. TTFN.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good morning,

Massive and LOUD fireworks last night - most ended before 12 but it kept on until 2. So lucky I can sleep in usually I am back at work as we get the day off but not the next day.

No plans for today which is also a nice thing.

• LanaCabana537
    Options
    u15hbc5cz0jv.jpeg
    *** Monday, July 6th ***

Good morning all~~

I too seem to be less productive now that I have my days free. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I need more coffee and a cool shower.....

BBL

Lana

259.0 today
    261.6 highest, ugh
    228.0 year end goal
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good morning, lovelies!

We swapped our weeks at home and office. I ended up in the office for two straight weeks due to some visitors last week (Visitors are my responsibility.) So, to make things less complicated, my direct supervisor swapped our whole teams. Back at home this week, office next week, and so on and so on, Scooby Dooby Dooby.

My challenge at the moment, work-wise, is getting a shipment released from customs in India. Do you know how hard that is? I have tried every way to work it from this end and it is not helping. I intend to be up at midnight tonight to call India directly. Yuck.

On a personal note, I give up. Right now, struggling with the work schedule, attempting to learn my new duties as USBC Association Manager for bowling, attempting to learn my new duties as Recorder for the Moose, and handling my daughter's depression (she broke up with her drug-addict/criminal cheater of a boyfriend) is taking all my focus. For the time being, I have put myself on the back burner.

But, you know what? It will be ok. Eventually, things will even out and I can turn some focus back to me. If not, that's ok too.

Everyone have a wonderful day! Stay cool when you can and do the best you can. That's all anyone can ask.

Tracy in Tennessee
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good morning,

Sending cboys around with good coffee this morning. Having a holiday on a weekend is exhausting. Neighbor had a bbq and it was nice to have those kind of things again - but I was the only one wearing a mask. I stayed clear of people as best I could.

Tracy, Wow is all I can say but it sounds like you can see the whole picture and are going for long term goals. Yay for you for the daughter ending her relationship that must be a real plus!!

Scale is not at the highest I have seen it and that is also good news.

Temps are better for walking and I am not sure when that will happen today but I will make it happen.