What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Oooh, I just thought of one that'll be very unpopular.

Peanut butter is one of those things that you either grow up with or you don't. I know maybe two people who grew to like it as adults, and I'm not one of them.

I grew to like it as an adult. I think it's largely just because I like the just peanuts and salt type more than more common commercial peanut butters. Also because I'm picky about bread so hated peanut butter sandwiches (with or without jelly), which was the main way people consumed it when I was a kid.
  • lemurcat2
    I don't like strawberries.

I only like local, in-season strawberries (from the farmer's market, since rabbits seem to really like the strawberries I try to grow in my garden). I also like frozen ones a lot. Out of season or traveled far strawberries have no taste.

Some of the farmers at my farmer's market have lots of different varieties of strawberries and it is fun and interesting to compare the different varietals.
  • lemurcat2
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Doughnuts are hugely overrated unless it's a chocolate with red chille and bacon from Rebel.

Donuts are not the best. Really.

The only donuts I care about are apple cider donuts.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ...and I've never liked a jam/jelly pb sandwich. Just like the pb on toast/bread, etc.,
  • lemurcat2
    edited July 2020
    That NuttZo looks interesting. But I mostly use nut butter as an addition to smoothies and it's easy to just choose my own mix of nuts/seeds vs. actual nut butter.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Soup is one of my favorite things.

I like soup now more than I used to: it started when I had to take over the kitchen for my parents after they got sick. With some hubris and ambition, I decided to make chicken soup from scratch. First time around, it was a whole-day affair, but it was kind of exciting. Each time, things got a little better; it taught me a lot, including about the integrity and skill involved in making a good soup.

This time of the year, I enjoy tossing vegetables in my Vitamix and mixing up a week's worth of gazpacho. Similar is a salmorejo, and I think I'd like to try that this year too (https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/salmorejo), probably minus the jamon serrano. Winter time is for onion soup, which I have yet to really master, but it's a lot of fun trying!

I love gazpacho and haven't had it yet this year. I will fix that this week, thanks for the reminder!

My pleasure! I hope you enjoy it!
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Bananas are a creation of Satan.
    I use to love them! Then, one fine day....I ate one and got hives and my throat itched. I guess my body went on an allergic strike. Nevermore can I have a banana, so you might be onto something.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I really hate the apple & peanut butter combo.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I don't really like peanut butter in dessert. I love it on toast or pancakes. Cookies are ok. But in a cake or pie, or even in ice cream. Nope I'll pass.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't really like peanut butter in dessert. I love it on toast or pancakes. Cookies are ok. But in a cake or pie, or even in ice cream. Nope I'll pass.

Interesting, this has made me think about my own peanut butter tastes. I'm not a big fan of peanut butter by itself in desserts (e.g. just sweet peanut butter flavor), but I love it with chocolate (I'm the same with mint), or with strawberry (because nostalgia).
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Oooh, I just thought of one that'll be very unpopular.

Peanut butter is one of those things that you either grow up with or you don't. I know maybe two people who grew to like it as adults, and I'm not one of them.

I never had peanut butter as a kid (because my mom didn't like it) and love it. I grew up being told it was gross and didn't eat it until well into adulthood. I will literally eat it straight out of the jar now. Has to be crunchy.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    This sounds absolutely yummmmm...except the price avail. in my country.....$17-20🙄
    l3flcpghdbop.png

this is my current favorite nut butter.

It is awesome, I love the Nutzo nut butters!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member

I only like local, in-season strawberries (from the farmer's market, since rabbits seem to really like the strawberries I try to grow in my garden). I also like frozen ones a lot. Out of season or traveled far strawberries have no taste.

Some of the farmers at my farmer's market have lots of different varieties of strawberries and it is fun and interesting to compare the different varietals.

I also am not a fan of strawberries. I live strawberry preserves and jam. Sweetened strawberry type things in summer. To me even the most ripe are a bit sour
  • thatsmejb
    thatsmejb Posts: 83 Member
    Ketchup is disgusting!!!
  • lemurcat2

Me too, although I like peanut butter fine and love apples plain.
  • lemurcat2
    VegjoyP wrote: »

I also am not a fan of strawberries. I live strawberry preserves and jam. Sweetened strawberry type things in summer. To me even the most ripe are a bit sour

I generally don't like fruit sweetened, although I do like desserts featuring fruit. But just the fruit on its own (or with something like yogurt or oats), I don't want any additional sweetener.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

Me too, although I like peanut butter fine and love apples plain.

I don't like apples in general... only in apple crisp or apple pie.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I only buy honeycrisp apples.
    I will tolerate a granny smith if handed one.
    All other apples are mealy and terrible.
    Why do red delicious apples exist and who can I sue for false advertising?
  • lemurcat2
    There are a number of good apples, but part of it depends on where you buy them. I do prefer Honeycrisp for just plain eating, but I also quite like Jonagold, Pink Lady, Fuji, Braeburn, Granny Smith, among others. There are some more niche varietals that I don't think I've had, but have heard good things about, and I can't remember the names of all I've had and liked.

Apples aren't even close to my favorite fruit (although I prefer them a lot to bananas, which are okay but incredibly overrated), but they can be delicious if one is in the mood for them and they are crisp and cold. And saying they aren't my favorite isn't a slam on apples, but a positive for berries, cherries, peaches and plums and pears, clementines, kiwi, pineapple, mango, etc. (Regular oranges I like about the same as apples, and grapes and melon I like less, although I still like them fine, except for watermelon with seeds, which is more trouble than it's worth. The only fresh fruit I can think of that I actually dislike is grapefruit.)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Since we are talking apples...
    Mutsu followed by honeycrisp.

Mutsu!! <3