Women 200lb+, Let's Jump For Joy This July!!!

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    I'm a little discouraged today. I weighed myself and I'm 5lbs heavier than I was last week, and even 1lb over my starting weight here July 1. I know I said my focus this month was going to be exercise and not weight loss but...you know...of course I was deep down hoping to see the scale budge after logging, staying under calories, and intense workouts. To see it go up is just so discouraging.

The reason I shifted my focus to exercise this month is that I really don't think my body is capable of losing weight. Last year I worked with my doctor on a very regimented 1400 calorie diet - no sugar, legumes, grains, dairy or alcohol. I rigorously weighed and logged every single ounce. I basically ate nothing but lean protein and veggies, and occasionally 1/2 cup of brown rice. At the end of four months (after feeling utterly, completely deprived), I lost...2lbs. We tested everything under the sun and no answers. I don't know if it's genetics, cortisol, or the many years in my 20's and 30's as a bulimic / over-exerciser that maybe messed up my metabolism. All I know is, nothing really works, hence my shift to exercise as at least I know it will have health benefits in the long run to be strong and fit.

But still, it's hard.

Anyway, rant over. Thanks for listening. I will keep my chin up and will be grateful for the fantastic, workout I did this morning that left me feeling all glow-y.

I agree with @sweetirish that you may have not been getting enough calories. How long have you been eating at a calorie deficit and how big a deficit is it? Get a calculator for your BMR and your TDEE and eat between them. But first if you have had a big deficit in calories for a long time you need to go to maintenance calories for at least 2 weeks. Then follow @speyerj's advice. Don't give up. I had to do this once after losing 20 lbs and then hitting a huge plateau. I started to lose when I started to slowly up my calories to maintenance. I lost another 20 pounds after starting to eat more and getting a 2 week rest from a deficit.

What happened is I lost with low calories and I started to exercise more and although I sometimes ate some of my exercise calories I wasn't eating enough and eventually went into starvation mode. It was really wierd to start losing by eating more. Right now I am eating less calories but I am not yet getting as much exercise as before and I haven't lost more than 10% of my weight. However once I do lose that 1st 10% and start to exercise more I will maintain for a bit and have a smaller deficit. Some people seem to be able to lose with low calories and alot of exercise but most will hit a wall and have to fuel more of that exercise to lose. So it depends on how much exercise and how much of a deficit you have had and for how long.
  • apc77372
    apc77372 Posts: 15 Member
    Current weight 206
    Goal weight 140
    Need to lose 66 lbs

July's goal weight 200

5 to thrive
    * Do my nebs , inhalers and chest vest twice daily. (and 8 he's on CPAP daily)
    * Drink 8 glasses of water
    * * Exercise 5 days a week
    * (Cycling once, standing core work twice, free weights twice)
    * make Mel's with lots of veggies
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2020
    KeriA wrote: »
    The play Jane Eyre by the National Theatre was exceptional and watching with my daughter wonderful. We had our class last night and then instead of lying in bed all evening reading I went out with my husband to see if we could see the Neowise comet. There is an overlook to the Sound that is great for viewing sunsets. The night before we went just at sunset but it we had to leave and missed the comet. Last night we went later. Today it is overcast again so glad we saw it last night! Way cool!

Jane Eyre is one of my favorites. Never saw a stage adaptation. The classic Masterpiece Theatre version is still my standard, heart heart heart. Also check out Villette if you like Charlotte Brontë.

My father took us out to west Texas to see Halley's comet in 1986--I was eight, so I hope I'm on track to see it again when it returns. We didn't actually need to go to west Texas--it's just that the UT observatory is there and there's plenty of dark sky. I hope they still have dark sky! Every time I hear about people doing artistic stuff in Marfa, and presumably bringing electric lights there, I freak out.

Even writing this post takes me back--I remember the best lemonade of my LIFE at a lunch counter in Fort Stockton, also out there near the observatory, on yet ANOTHER trip out to this desolate land. They basically forced us kids to walk around an outdoor exhibit in the boiling heat, but then we went into the luncheonette and they had lemonade and limeade made with syrup and a shot of seltzer from the seltzer gun. Wow. There was also a guy who looked like John Lennon eating there. :-)

• BrownSugar174
    BrownSugar174 Posts: 311 Member
    edited July 2020
    @speyerj I was actually tested for sleep apnea twice. The doctor gave me a sleep apnea machine for 30 days and the readings were normal but I had all the signs/symptoms. I still believe there was so much strain on my body/heart that I could have kicked the bucket in my sleep.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    JULY GOALS ---
    (1) Log all food and beverages honestly; Drink 10+ water [ MEASURE EVERYTHING !!]
    (2) Exercise 30 min minimum (3000 steps)
    (3) Clean 30 min per day: house or yard or declutter

Tasks for Today ---
    Do 20 min stretches and 30 min of walking
    Feed & Water animals -- done
    Organize Pet Room; vacuum & dust - carryover from yesterday

I've somehow lost my mental focus. So I've spent this morning researching "losing focus" ... "staying focused" ... "regaining focus" ... and how focus differs from motivation. Between now and the end of July, I plan to restructure my goals and, hopefully, develop a couple of tools to help stay focused and motivated. If you have any tips on maintaining focus, I'd appreciate hearing them. One of the articles stated that motivation without focus loses it's "MOJO" ... which is what I think happened to me.

I think a few of you have mentioned listening to Podcasts. If you have recommendations, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to find one or two to listen to while I'm doing chores around the house.

Have a Blessed Day!! 🌞