Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    Welcome to all the new members. I am almost even considered new as it has been a bit since I posted :wink:
    Great job on the 5K Sara.
    Lana - I LOVE strawberries! Great snack!
    Dawn - Take care during all this going on...Stress level high! You must take care!
    Kathryn! I also hate the humidity. Today is a great day in WI - warm but not humid. Saturday it felt like we could swim standing up!
    Maureen - good luck with the virtual curriculum. Feel bad for teachers and students and parents! So glad my kids are all adults!
    Hello to Sara6, Wulf, Holly, and all others who stop by!

My weight loss is stagnant. My hubby quit smoking and is weaning off his blood pressure meds. So the next step is both of us eating less! Here we go! Again :neutral:
    Have a great day!
    Lynn
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts. I did not go visit. I kept in touch with mom and, DD is improving slightly. I have mixed feelings about my decision. Mom has her Mom. Not a real support system. But, not solely alone. That day may be coming sooner than I ever expected. Hoping, he will be home Wed. He will need oxygen and therapy. Mom says, he has to relearn to walk...she believes, it’s lack of oxygen. Not sure. Dr wants to change all his meds, take him off Lasix....just doesn’t sound right...I am feeling so overwhelmed, right now...and, incredibly lost...

Hugs to all...Thank you, again...I appreciate you all
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,329 Member
    Options
    Dawn thank you for stopping in so we can get an update. Maybe dr wants to go a different direction medically based on symptoms and they would have to change his meds - Can you send her a care package or have food delivered to her house? Take deep breaths it has been a lot at once and time will settle things down a little.

Turn on your favorite scentsy and close your eyes. I am a list maker (thanks mom) and once I have a list made I can then relax or start doing the list - so making a list may help.

Hope everyone is staying cool and safe (sanity is debatable at the moment- so as sane as one can be).
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,840 Member
    Options
    q0hh6bhkgk6m.jpeg
    *** TUESDAY July 21st ***

Good morning Sara in UK ☀️
    Thank you for your wise words and for the so-very-important work you do. 🙏🏻💖

Dawn - So glad you could stop by and let us know how DD and DM are doing. Maybe the doctors will prescribe a different kind of water pill to replace the Lasix.
    Sara in CA is right - take care of yourself. That's really important.
    I feel your pain when you say you feel overwhelmed and lost. Sending hugs. Tap into DH for some support, possibly just simple, non-verbal support.

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good morning,

Five days in a row with 5k and while I am not walking as much as my neighbor (seriously competitive) I am almost doubling the amount I had been walking. My own goal is to get 6k soon.

Today I need to make casserole after work. I just get so lazy.

My medicine refill verification came by phone yesterday - almost as good as ice cream but not quite.

I saw a post on FB on how to prevent ice cream freezer burn personally my ice cream never lasts that long to get freezer burn. At the moment I have a small pint of Pistachio gelato but no cake.

Wave to all who follow. Stay safe and sane out there.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Lots of updates. Thanks, folks.

Dawn, tough choices and you are doing the best you can to respect their needs and your own.

Loneliness is tough on a lot of folks. My mom is struggling and part of it is that she no longer remembers the visitor from a few minutes before. She really misses going out for lunch, for example, but we don't know that she'd feel better if she did go out, b/c she might not remember by the time she gets home. Constant companionship may be the only solution and that is difficult to provide right now. My daughter may go down after her graduation from HS on 7/25, but she has to self-quarantine for 2 weeks first. We will see.

I'm doing some great professional development (PD) on neurodiverse students--autism, emotionally-behaviorally disturbed (EBD) students, ADD/ADHD, and trauma-affected students. I know a lot of this stuff, but hearing the different language and finding new resources for using with other staff, students, and parents, is so helpful. Brain studies have moved this field so far forward but the public understanding is so, so far behind. It's fascinating and frustrating at the same time.

Trying to be more consistent about logging; yesterday I only logged breakfast. But that was better than many days recently, where I only logged my coffee :)

I hope to have a chance to check in later; have a good day, all.
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I've managed to log everything for the past 5 days. Now to keep that up!
    I have started weighing every morning instead of once a week (mainly because I would forget). Its amazing how far your weight can fluctuate from day to day - especially after high sodium intake. Its kinda neat to see the zig-zag of the daily weigh ins. More interesting than the straight lines of once a week anyway. As long as I can keep it in a general downward motion, I'm good! LOL

**throwing beach towel, sunglasses, and book on lounge chair**
    *ordering an ice cold mojito to be delivered to me by the CBs when I get out of the pool*
  • mkculs13
    Options
    HickChic, I weigh daily too, and one of my first signs that I'm sliding is that I stop doing it. I have discovered that traveling (flights, different foods, etc.) generally gives me a sudden 7-10 lb gain which often resolves in 1-2 weeks to anywhere from the weight I was when I left to a 3 lb loss, depending on how much I exercised while away. It's happened several times so I just wait to see what shakes out when I'm back to a routine.

Well, I jogged tonight after a 10 day or so break b/c of pain in my piriformis, which hasn't gone away so I figured what the heck. I'm exhausted and it was so difficult. But I finished. And I will get a massage later this week (I hope) by a PT who really knows his stuff. I noticed some good differences upon stretching, too, so that was encouraging. I just hope I'm not totally out of commission tomorrow.

Got all my food logged so far today and haven't eaten dinner, but I have the usual cals remaining to fit it in nicely with room to spare. I use a different calculator for my exercise (it's just for running and jogging) and it gives me fewer calories for my exercise than most other calculators, and I like to be conservative about this logging, so that works for me. I've already figured out what I have to do at a decent weight to get those extra 300 most days, using that calculator, so I know what I'm looking ahead to.

Hoping all have had a lovely day.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    76te3j0adlao.jpeg
    🍓 WEDNESDAY JULY 22 🍓

Good morning All~~

Sara - I laughed out loud--what is ice cream freezer burn???? 😂

I have been a daily weigher for years now.
    On weeks that I am struggling, I can see where I started, watch in dismay as the numbers increase, and then if I get back down to where the week started, I can consider it a victory. In the old Weight Watcher days, I would see the scale "not budge" but never know about how it climbed and got back down in that one week.

Conversely, if I start out a week at a certain point, manage to get down a pound or more during the week, but then fall off of the balance beam and have it creep back up to where I started the week, at least I can say I saw that new, nice, lower number - and shoot for it the following week.

Now where is Pierre with the coffee?

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good morning,

Lana! I once had ice cream that was so old it crystallized - but that was at my Grandmother's house and I dont know if it was freezer burn. To me if you are not eating your ice cream, why bother?

Scale is down and 6 days of 5k, not sure about today but will try. It is not often I get to go out and outdoor eat with people from work. So maybe after that I can take a long walk.

Cooler temps here are welcome.

Wave to all who follow. Stay safe and sane out there.
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Sara- congrats on the downward trend and your 5K's! Love your ice cream comments!
    Lana - Have Pierre pour me a cup - I am on my way :smiley:
    Maureen - our brains...so studied yet so far to come! I have seen studies/research on the development of brains and the connections that happen just through touch and snuggling as a baby and how quickly those are broken in young kids when neglect and trauma happen. And how they help restore them in PTSD affected brains. Amazing stuff..yest so misunderstood.
    Kathryn - great job on the logging. I will again be a daily weigher. I have been very very complacent and it shows. I have to end the excuses...and get back to healthier eating.
    Sara6 - thanks for the great advice. I have to start writing cards and making phone calls I think!
    Waves to all who stop by! Have a great Wednesday!
    Lynn
    CW196.2
    HW 207
    GW 180
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Get in line. Pierre is stopping here first.😁
  • arniedog74
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I literally have to force myself to get out of bed... every day...I just feel like, I want to sleep all the time. I honestly don't have 1 single friend that I can call on and pour my heart out to. My fault, mostly. Cuz, i'm tired of "friends" using me and pretending they care. DH has no idea how to be supportive. Not his fault. Very dysfunctional family and he's just never learned. He tries... he really does...

DD is doing ok. No extra fluid, so that is good. Took a shower and feels ok. Nurse coming to mom's today, just to check in. Mom is like Gma and doesn't like someone coming in her home. But, she's just going to have to deal with it. For him.

My brain is just done...
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Dawn, glad you can tell us. "unfriending" people is usually a good thing when you find out how lopsided it is. Glad to hear DD is home and doing okay. DM will have to get used to changes for awhile like you said. Give DH a "to do list"?

Have a "meeting" with Monster after lunch - seems I am not detailed enough in my email answers to how I processed something - because I just dont remember!! She is the living end.

Hope to be back before lights out. Hang in there.
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

❤️ for Sara in the UK. What a sweet way to stop in and say Hello! Sleep well my dear~~

Sara in CA - Argh on Mrs. Monster! Just give her what she wants. Or do the best that you can and try to think of her as a nice do-list that has to be followed - anything to sort of separate her reality from you. I hope that that makes some sense.... I just want you to have some well-deserved ease, Sara. 😘😘😘

Dawn - I have to figure out how to private message you! 💖

Thank goodness Alejandro brought me some coffee at long last earlier today. NO ONE has seen Pierre since this morning, when Holly flagged him down..... Wow! 😋

Waving to all who stop by later tonight~~

Lana
  • mkculs13
    Options
    Dawn, you have symptoms of depression--are you ok? Maybe talk to your doc? I'm sorry it's so rough at such a rough time in general.

I had a lovely walk with my daughter--well, she turned back after about 15 minutes but I kept going. Really perfect WI summer weather here today--so treasured. Coolish, sunny, breezy, and dry--little humidity. So glad I was able to enjoy it.

Off to log my food--better late than never.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Maureen- Thank you. I do suffer from depression...have off and on, most of my adult life.. I don’t have a Dr, no insurance...I just try to push thru.. I keep things bottled up...it’s only way I know how to deal...

Sara (CA)- I am incredibly envious of those friendships I see, that are all I’ve ever wanted...I seem to attract the wrong people...those I have been close to, in the last 15 years or so, never have time to even just check on me...not whining...but, I am always the first one to reach out, just to say “how are you” but, they “love” me...maybe, I am whining...sorry...Hope meeting with Monster wasn’t too horrible...

Lana- I don’t have very good luck PMing on here. I very seldom get the messages and, what I send, tends not to get delivered...definitely not a strong point of MFP...

Kathryn- If I missed you, I am sorry...Thank you very much for your kind words...
  • arniedog74
    Options
    DD is doing better. He was able to shower, sort laundry and meds...nurse came in and thinks he is doing better...DM also feels he is doing better. Just got to try to be positive and hope meds help..

Well, it just keeps pouring...we just found out, a clients son has been exposed to COVID...she boarded her dogs with us over weekend and just picked them up, yesterday...not one word was mentioned about exposure... she is not being tested or forced to quarantine, until/unless Signs of symptoms...I’m not freaking out...I am angry...she had no business boarding her dogs, she should have told us..especially, when she picked her dogs up and her son was with her...this is now, our 3rd client to have been exposed in the last week or so...the other 2 haven’t been in recently...Thankfully, I did not go to moms...now, I will have to wait at least 2 weeks...blah