Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• amart4224amart4224 Member Posts: 76 Member Member Posts: 76 Member
    Will you continue to wear your mask every year during flu season (which also kills hundreds of thousands of people each year), or do you only feel obligated to protect them from the "special" diseases?

edited by a MFP moderator
    edited July 31
  • amart4224amart4224 Member Posts: 76 Member Member Posts: 76 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »
    For the past few months I've only been going to parks or nature areas, the dog park, and around my own property so there hasn't been a reason to wear a mask. I get my groceries via curbside pickup. There is one guy who shows up to the dog park in mask and gloves and gets some pretty weird looks, but hey, if it makes him feel safer then more power to him.

He isn't wearing it to make himself feel safe. I can not believe there still are people who just don't get the concept. He's gearing up to keep YOU safe.

Outdoors? At a place where no one comes within 20 feet of him? Nahhhh it's for himself and his own fear. And if he honestly believes there's a chance he has the virus and could spread it to others... maybe don't spend every evening hanging out at the dog park?

So what if it is? It's harming NOBODY. If it's driven by his anxiety, it's a coping tool that allows him to get out of the house and get some exercise for his dog. I think it's terrible to try to make someone feel awkward for that (and let's be clear, that's exactly what people are doing when they're ostentatiously giving someone "weird looks" because even little kids can learn that it's rude to stare at unusual -looking people). And you have no idea what health conditions he may or may not have that make COVID-19 seem more intimidating. If someone wants to wear gloves and a mask outside, why do you even care?

If you read my comment above, you'll see that I don't care if anyone else wears a mask - as I said, more power to him if it makes him feel better. But your right to wear a mask does not mean you won't get weird looks for it when there is seemingly no logic behind your actions. As I said above, if he's that scared of spreading it to others or catching it himself, why spend all this time at the DOG PARK? Does he really think it's worth risking death just to exercise his dog?

You're ignoring that he's potentially wearing the PPE to manage or alleviate his anxiety specifically so he can spend time at the dog park and since it's an act that isn't harming anyone, I don't understand your response. Anxiety is real, this can be an especially challenging time for people who were already struggling with it, and it's okay if people want to take non-harmful actions to manage it.

You have the legal right to try to shame anyone acting unusually or atypically. Nobody is arguing that you don't. But we have the legal right to do all kinds of things that are morally inappropriate or just plain mean. This guy is just trying to get outside with his dog. You know nothing about what mental or physical issues might be behind his choice of PPE. I don't get the desired result here -- that people with anxiety must conform or avoid parks until the outbreak is over? That potentially immune-compromised people can't take protective steps that are beyond what non-immune-compromised people would consider reasonable? When you give people "weird looks" in public, you're sending a message to them. What do you want this guy to take away from the messages you're giving him?

As I said in my previous comments, my only response is "you do you." Yes, people give him weird looks because his actions are irrational, but he's obviously fine with it because he continues to come to the dog park in his mask and gloves. There was another guy who frequently came to the dog park in 90+ degree weather wearing a long sleeved hoodie. People also gave him weird looks.

People judge no matter what you do, so you do you and don't let anyone's reaction bother you.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,672 Member Member Posts: 5,672 Member
    If I were to walk to the dog park here, I wouldn't assume no one would come near me, and especially on the walk over there would be times it would be hard to social distance and if I ran into someone I knew much easier to stop and talk for a minute if we both had masks on.

Many people would probably pull the mask down when somewhere where social distancing was not a problem, even in that situation, but many remember all the warnings about not touching it/your face.
  • Slacker16Slacker16 Member Posts: 1,077 Member Member Posts: 1,077 Member
    Reading through this thread... I have a confession to make. The last time I had any brush with biology of any kind was nearly half my life ago as part of a general education class. And I didn't do too well because memorization isn't my thing.

In short, I don't have the right to an opinion on the effectiveness of preventive medical measures. I'm boring like that :/
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 8,215 Member Member Posts: 8,215 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    For the past few months I've only been going to parks or nature areas, the dog park, and around my own property so there hasn't been a reason to wear a mask. I get my groceries via curbside pickup. There is one guy who shows up to the dog park in mask and gloves and gets some pretty weird looks, but hey, if it makes him feel safer then more power to him.

He isn't wearing it to make himself feel safe. I can not believe there still are people who just don't get the concept. He's gearing up to keep YOU safe.

Thanks, I was ready to post the same thing. People don't get it!! Not wonder we are in such a big mess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/07/29/coronavirus-barr-get-tested-after-louie-gohmert-found-positive/5535187002/

How stupid is that? You wear a mask so if you are infected you don't pass the virus around. Now, everyone that he was in contact with has to be tested and probably quarantine.

"Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, had tested positive for the virus. Gohmert told CNN in June he would only wear a mask if he contracted the virus."

And he went back to his office after testing positive to tell his staff about the test results, still without wearing a mask. Unlike many other members of Congress, he required all his staff, including interns, to work in the office, "to set an example about how to reopen safely," and staff who chose to wear masks were berated.

Oh, and I forgot: Rep. Gohmert sleeps in his office when he's in Washington. So he was asking staff to come work in the 24-hour living space of someone who won't wear a mask, and giving them a hard time if they chose to wear a mask.
This discussion has been closed.