Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,130 Member
    Not to derail the conversation folks, but since this is a "mask" thread, I though that some of you maybe interested in this information about light masks to wear while working out. Carry on.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/22/cnn-underscored/best-breathable-face-masks/index.html
  • Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Not to derail the conversation folks, but since this is a "mask" thread, I though that some of you maybe interested in this information about light masks to wear while working out. Carry on.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/22/cnn-underscored/best-breathable-face-masks/index.html

Gotta say no to the Hanes. If I'm putting underwear on my head then we're in a much better place than we are now.

I purchased one of the sport masks with changeable filters for exercise. It breathes really well, so much so that I'd wear it as a regular mask except that it has a velcro strap that goes around your neck instead of the ear straps.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Gotta say no to the Hanes. If I'm putting underwear on my head then we're in a much better place than we are now.

I purchased one of the sport masks with changeable filters for exercise. It breathes really well, so much so that I'd wear it as a regular mask except that it has a velcro strap that goes around your neck instead of the ear straps.

I have several masks with changeable filters too, but I don't think that they are "cool" enough for exercising for me. I may try the ones in the link.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    More than 40 people, including pastor, test positive for coronavirus after Alabama church revival

He said some social distancing measures were in place during the services, which were held multiple times a day, and most members skipped the events out of concern for the virus. Those that attended sat with their own families. Masks were not required, the newspaper reported.

“We let everybody do what they felt like. ... If you were comfortable shaking hands, you shook hands. If you didn’t, you didn’t,” the pastor said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/07/28/covid-19-more-40-people-infected-alabama-church-revival/5525594002/

I will not post how and what I feel about this, because I will be offending a lot of people and probably reprimanded by the moderators. Just use your imagination... >:)

I'll say it. That was dumb.

You are too nice. I was thinking in something way more harsh.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Theoldguy1, that is terrible honestly when he wasn't near her.

Here in Nth Queensland I've had a couple of incidences that worried me although we don't have the virus here right now but who knows where these people have been and brought it here. First time a young native woman came and dumped her groceries on top of mine in a little supermarket and breathed directly into my face after I tried to keep distanced. No idea why as she didn't need to be close and wasn't speaking and then in a bigger supermarket a man kept moving into my space every time I would move away.. then there was the beggar that hugged me after I gave him some money but at least he was being nice. We aren't wearing masks of course but kind of wish I was when those things happened.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Wearing masks which cover the lips is a real issue for lip readers so check out some of the clear ones coming to market. None look that good yet so I haven’t ordered one, but there are some home made ones with little bits of clear plastic over the mouth and some high tech promising ones just going into production. It would mean people can see facial expressions and lip read whilst still protecting others from mouth spray. Won’t post links but have a look online 😀
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    This is such a divisive topic. I'm no fan - they have only become mandatory herein the UK in shops and indoor spaces this past week. I don't go out to work, nor does anyone who lives in my house. We are probably the least chance of being infected/infectious of anyone I know. I have worn a face covering twice in the last two weeks - once for a trip to get my hair cut (desperately needed that after salons had been closed since March) and once to go to the supermarket. It was incredibly uncomfortable for me - so I plan to continue to avoid going out into the public domain as much as possible until this has passed. I have a home gym, and run outdoors (I don't pass many people on my routes).

If I did work in a public space, had to use public transport and wanted to shop in malls then I guess I'd have to suck it up and wear one daily.

Good for you if you don't mind it and find it no trouble - but many others disagree.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    For the past few months I've only been going to parks or nature areas, the dog park, and around my own property so there hasn't been a reason to wear a mask. I get my groceries via curbside pickup. There is one guy who shows up to the dog park in mask and gloves and gets some pretty weird looks, but hey, if it makes him feel safer then more power to him.
  • jamloche
    jamloche Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2020
    amart4224 wrote: »
    For the past few months I've only been going to parks or nature areas, the dog park, and around my own property so there hasn't been a reason to wear a mask. I get my groceries via curbside pickup. There is one guy who shows up to the dog park in mask and gloves and gets some pretty weird looks, but hey, if it makes him feel safer then more power to him.

This is a great attitude!

But I have a question ... why would it make him feel safer?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Gisel, I've sent all of your info to my relatives. You can buy 'em books and buy 'em books but they just eat the covers. Out here in the country we do shoot straight from the lips. There are a few signs with 'Mask It or Casket'.
  • https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

news to me that my sport mask isn't really helping. Should've known I guess as it is so breathable compared to others.

That aside, if you can read this and still don't get it, well I'm all out of crayons.

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 375 Member
    I side with this guy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8571789/Lockdown-free-Sweden-seeing-positive-downward-trend.html
    Lockdown-free Sweden is seeing a 'very positive' downward trend in cases, country's coronavirus expert reveals as he dismisses wearing masks on public transport as 'pointless'
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I ABSOFREAKINGLUTLEY REFUUUSEE!!!

To wear the face mask that look like they were made from tighty whities...
This discussion has been closed.