What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• joshchapo
    joshchapo Posts: 186 Member
    A red wine shrimp pasta for tonight!
    sk542g6juqn1.jpeg

Shrimp pasta meals 😋😋. Yum!!!
    That sounds delicious
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    First meal out in ages. I had to switch starters with the hubby because the scratchy texture
    zucchini fritti irritated my throat, as I just had throat surgery on Tuesday. Main of tagliata di manzo was great. My go to order at an Italian if I don't feel like having a lot of carbs. Hubby had pizza marinara.
    hqmmzyw47ft0.jpeg
    5cjtofeaofg6.jpeg

That zucchini and that pizza and, yes, that glass of red wine! I want it ALL! 😋😋😋
  • paxot69915
    paxot69915 Posts: 14 Member
    Today I threw fish into some bread before throwing it all on kale.

3ckwjroql62n.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Sous vide chicken breast, roast potatoes, sauteed asparagus. Leftover onion gravy.

cwfsvbhro350.jpeg
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Sous vide chicken breast, roast potatoes, sauteed asparagus. Leftover onion gravy.

cwfsvbhro350.jpeg

That looks great. Did you brine the chicken before cooking it? I don't have a sous vide set up, but a friend of mine raves about it...I'm just reluctant to get any more kitchen gadgets/appliances... I think I must have fifteen different ways to cook chicken with the stuff I already have. :)
  • acpgee
    MistressPi wrote: »

That looks great. Did you brine the chicken before cooking it? I don't have a sous vide set up, but a friend of mine raves about it...I'm just reluctant to get any more kitchen gadgets/appliances... I think I must have fifteen different ways to cook chicken with the stuff I already have. :)

I dry brine instead of doing a traditional brine which gives great results with less work.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/12/how-to-dry-brine.html

The modern sous vide set ups don't require a lot of room to store. Mine is a stick that is 13 inches long and 2 inches in diamter. So it equivalent to a handheld stick blender in terms of space it takes up in a drawer.

The things I always cook sous vide nowadays are chicken breasts (best silky texture because at a slow cook with a controlled temperature is safe to take chicken it up to just 63C instead of the 72C it normally needs to be safe), thick steaks (you can get edge to edge perfect medium rare instead of well done on the edges and rare in the centre). For tender cuts I do an hour or so, so it does take more time.

The other things I find sous vide useful for is tougher roasts such as silverside (eye of round in the US, I think) and pork tenderloin. Also good for getting firmer texture on cheap shin and braising meats, because I don't like that stringy pulled texture of stewed meats. But tough cuts need to go for 24 hours or so before searing.
  • acpgee
    I just watched a you tube segment where a Japanese chef is cooking chuleton and explaining in perfect spanish how to sous vide this type of steak. He packs the meat in plastic, puts in a large pasta pan filled with water and sous vide's in a very low oven.
  • Madison9776
    Madison9776 Posts: 52 Member
    Lemon garlic cod with roasted asparagus and rice
    iny7cq5zynje.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Txuleton steak, oven fries, turkish peppers cooked like pimiento padrons, green salad. Sauces were compound butter for the steak pulled out of the freezer, leftover onion gravy, ketchup mixed with toum for the fries.

Txuleton steaks are ribeyes traditional in Basqueland from retired dairy cows that have been put out to pasture for a year to fatten up and de-stress. Meat has a stronger gamey taste, similar to venison and not tougher than regular ribeye because the older meat was very well marbled. I am going to stick to eating retired dairy cows, as it strikes me as a more sustainable way to eat beef.

Dessert was vanilla ice cream, with miso caramel sauce, toasted sesame, dehydrated sweet potato chips. chopped candied ginger.

h8oawqleevur.jpeg
    utowl31box82.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Tapas. Turkish peppers cooked like pimientos padron leftover from last night, Spanish tortilla leftover from lunch, Portuguese marinated carrots, chickpea flour air fries with tomato sauce, habas con jamon, albondigas made by the hubby.

3t8kkkqkwgan.jpeg
  • Egg Sammy with salami, turkey breast, and swiss cheese and laughing cow cheese wedge

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Greek chicken and potatoes paired with baby carrots
    7f32doo4oulo.jpeg

Omg drool. That looks incredible. Especially the roasted carrots.
  • tamarastrahan
    tamarastrahan Posts: 17 Member
    Protein pancakes and strawberries, chimichurri beans salad, and pasta with herbed chicken, summer squash, onions, and tomato. My main food for today.
    0hkl3whps66c.jpg
    9g11kn2j758s.jpg
    x9qkwrzpr7x3.jpg
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    A 2 egger with red pepper, onions and salsa.aqot80v4ly2n.jpeg
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    MistressPi wrote: »

I dry brine instead of doing a traditional brine which gives great results with less work.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/12/how-to-dry-brine.html

The modern sous vide set ups don't require a lot of room to store. Mine is a stick that is 13 inches long and 2 inches in diamter. So it equivalent to a handheld stick blender in terms of space it takes up in a drawer.

The things I always cook sous vide nowadays are chicken breasts (best silky texture because at a slow cook with a controlled temperature is safe to take chicken it up to just 63C instead of the 72C it normally needs to be safe), thick steaks (you can get edge to edge perfect medium rare instead of well done on the edges and rare in the centre). For tender cuts I do an hour or so, so it does take more time.

The other things I find sous vide useful for is tougher roasts such as silverside (eye of round in the US, I think) and pork tenderloin. Also good for getting firmer texture on cheap shin and braising meats, because I don't like that stringy pulled texture of stewed meats. But tough cuts need to go for 24 hours or so before searing.

Thank you for the detailed response. Do you prefer the texture of sous vide chicken breast as compared to poaching it? My friend raves about how good shrimp and other seafood turn out via sous vide. It's good to know that the set up is so much more compact and I'm guessing less expensive, too, than it was when it first came out.

Love seeing all your meals. So much care and attention to detail, inventive and creative.