Daily Commitment Thread for 2020 -- JUST FOR TODAY

Replies

• littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 919 Member
    edited July 2020
    Thanks @Bex953172, sadly I do know what my mum meant. They are so ill and incapacitated that their lives are difficult and with little enjoyment. They've both said for some time that would prefer not to be here any longer. I'm dreading when one is left behind, they've been together over 60 years.
    Spoke to the social worker today, nice to know there's some help out there. And my neighbour died today, feel so sorry for her husband.
    JFT Friday 31st July

Log everything yes
    Stay in the green yes, just
    Back exercises no
    5 fruit and veg 10
    Foot exercises yes
    Load car yes
    Some garden time a bit, had ants in my pants, couldn't settle to anything

Thanks for the laugh, Casey sounds like a right character, I wonder why she chose today to "over dress" lol. especially if it was so hot. I was looking forward to a day of sunshine, but it wasn't very hot here, didn't need my summer clothes :'(

No goals for Saturday, will be away all day with little time to eat, so know it will be okay.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member
    I need a list of snacks that you guys like ... that are not fresh or dairy. I go to the store now about every 6 weeks, or order online.

does anyone have some ideas of healthy snacks I can get?? This is where I am getting into trouble .. no fresh fruits to grab, and I tend to eat walnuts or raisins, both very high in calories.

I bought some granola bars .. bad choice, because now I have eaten 8 in one day. (Of course, I think that is more stress eating .. its been a crazy day!).

Maybe I just need to concentrate on eating more at my meals, so I don't snack at all!
  • Kuhl50
    Kuhl50 Posts: 416 Member
    Daily habits: track, exercise, journal
    Friday Action Plan
    1. Up by 0800,pill, set timer, weigh😀
    2. Shower, pill😀
    3. Breakfast = yogurt + Kashi 😀
    4. On call by 0900😀
    5. Lunch—make salad, heat up chicken😀
    6. Weights at 4😀
    7. Walk after work😀
    8. Roast chicken for lunches👿
    9. Drop off amazon return🤨—asked DD to do it, but I’m guessing it’s still in her car...
    10. Plan Saturday timeline including exercise😀
    11. Journal😀
    12. Meditate👿
    13. Lights out 11👿

Good day, but worn out and foggy as the adrenaline that kept me going for the past 5 months at work is wearing off. So glad we’re heading out camping on Sunday...and that I have tomorrow to prepare!

Had a tough conversation with my DH...we need to put together a living trust, but we each came into this marriage with children and assets and different ideas of inheritance. He sees himself owing his kids and wants to pass down as much as he can; he wants to pay for weddings and houses and assumes we will live very frugally as retirees. I see myself as having earned the money in my accounts and quite willing to pass down what’s left when I’m done with it, but not willing to scrimp my lifestyle to do so. My DD (and as far as I’m concerned, his as well) can make their own money, pay for their own cars and weddings and houses just like I did. I’d help of course, just don’t want them counting on it, thinking it’s “owed”. It will take us many passes at this subject to find a resolution that we can both feel good about.

Saturday Action Plan
    1. No alarm wake, pill, timer, weigh
    2. Shower, pill
    3. Breakfast = protein pancakes
    4. Put away laundry
    5. Review camping kitchen bins
    6. Go to Target for bins and items
    7. Arm weights
    8. 5 bench pushups
    9. Lunch = salad + protein
    10. Finish meal plan with girls and grocery list
    11. Grocery shop
    12. Meal prep —make salads, roast chicken
    13. Meal prep—make curry chili, marinate steaks, etc
    14. Layout exercise and travel clothes
    15. Journal
    16. Meditate
    17. Sleep by 11

July personal challenge
    Bicep emoji if I got in at least 1 push-up; Yoga figure if I set my intention before eating
    July 31: 💪🧘

GRATITUDE: I am grateful for another day to start anew.

WOTY: Habits
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    I need a list of snacks that you guys like ... that are not fresh or dairy. I go to the store now about every 6 weeks, or order online.

Maybe I just need to concentrate on eating more at my meals, so I don't snack at all!

Not snacking ever may lead to over-indulgence ... at least I find it does. So a planned snack may work better; or a "healthy" unplanned snack.

I find inspiration at a site called -- https://skinnytaste.com/ --- usually, I scan for recipes then adapt them to fit my needs. I also like their meal planning tab. I find it helpful when I need to cook a larger portion of something, say a roast, and then get ideas on how to use leftovers for a few days after.

A Make-ahead treat I've enjoyed: frozen banana dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts. I've frozen a whole banana as well as thick slices this way. Great for a treat since they don't take long to thaw.

My go-to's to have on hand: peanut butter, microwave popcorn, dried pineapple / cherries / cranberries, a salty/sweet trail mix in small packet, boxes of jello.

I've made the - BANANA ZUCCHINI CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING - from the SkinnyTaste site and frozen individual servings of it. It tastes great and the frozen ones tasted as good when thawed and warmed.

I also use recipes from -- https://onedishkitchen.com/spice-cake-recipe/ -- and the spice cake recipe is a favorite because I typically have all the ingredients on hand. Their small batch cookie recipes are also great.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    edited August 2020
    1dbe4tr2lwy4.jpg
    💜💜💜
    I choose to feed my body the nutrition it needs
    and feed my mind with the quality thoughts it deserves

💜💜💜

To all those essential workers still going out there....
    🙏🏻 Thank you for your service 🙏🏻
    Everyone else, please stay home!!!

What am I doing to keep busy? To name a few...
      [*] structuring my day
      [*] morning and evening meditation
      [*] Using the internet to ‘talk’ to family
      [*] crochet, jigsaws, journaling, gardening, reading, writing .......
      [*] HIIT videos off YouTube,
      [*] yoga/Taichi
      [*] Walks with DH
      [*] Cleaning! Cleaning! Cleaning! 😂
      [*] Decluttering
      [*] Stress relievers (search YouTube for Paul McKenna)
      Keep your chin up!
      Turning up is the ultimate success!
      2019 DISCARD 5 LBS CHALLENGES:
      01 Aug 2019: 170.1
      31 Dec 2019: 151.2
      Total weight loss: 19.9lbs
      2020 Personal Weight Challenge
      Name: Terri

SW: 152.1 (02 Jan)
      GW: 150

Jan: - 2
      Feb: - 1.3
      Mar: - 0.9
      Apri: +1.3 (not too bad, considering lockdown/Easter/Birthday this month)
      May: +0.7(working on upping my strength to tone muscles, so not unexpected. It's a balancing act! 😂)
      Jun: +0.2
      Phew!!! Weight has stabilised dropped below 150 again.

July Daily Goals: Week 5
      Su: ✅ Mo: ✅ Tu: ✅ We: ✅
      Th: ✅ Fr: ✅

August Daily Goals: Week 1
      Sat: Sun: Mon: Tue:
      Wed: Thu: Fri:
      Weight < 150:
      1 Aug 2019: 170.1
      1 Aug 2020: 149.9

Reduce Fat%:✅ 29.3; 27.1; 25.2; 25.1
      Increase Muscle%: ✅ 28.7->30.1 30.3
      Calories < in the green
      Steps > 7500
      Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily
      Active hours > 6 daily
      Activities I got to do
      Meditation Exercise
      Laundry/Chores
      Sole Mates Spreadsheet for Aug (Ongoing)
      Declutter Hobbies room (Ongoing)
      Crochet Puzzles Watch TV
      Short visit from DYD

Had several very busy days burning the midnight oil working on spreadsheets and other internet tasks for August. Time just ran away with me. The up side is that when I’m focused on tasks like these, the tendency to snack is curtailed. Gotta HALT! that.
      H ~ Am I Hungry?
      A ~ Am I Angry?
      L ~ Am I Lonely?
      T ~ Am I Tired?
    • cesse47
      Kuhl50 wrote: »

Good day, but worn out and foggy as the adrenaline that kept me going for the past 5 months at work is wearing off. So glad we’re heading out camping on Sunday...and that I have tomorrow to prepare!

Had a tough conversation with my DH...we need to put together a living trust, but we each came into this marriage with children and assets and different ideas of inheritance. He sees himself owing his kids and wants to pass down as much as he can; he wants to pay for weddings and houses and assumes we will live very frugally as retirees. I see myself as having earned the money in my accounts and quite willing to pass down what’s left when I’m done with it, but not willing to scrimp my lifestyle to do so. My DD (and as far as I’m concerned, his as well) can make their own money, pay for their own cars and weddings and houses just like I did. I’d help of course, just don’t want them counting on it, thinking it’s “owed”. It will take us many passes at this subject to find a resolution that we can both feel good about.

Have FUN camping!! I had a mini-vacation and it was very relaxing!

I feel the same way as you about kids inheriting ... I worked hard for what I have and plan to enjoy it now that I'm retired. If you own your own home, remember to include that in your planning. Perhaps you can set up an account for each and fund them with a monthly deposit. The funds would be in your names in case you need to draw on them for emergency funding ... but it's a way of "setting aside" some funds for them specifically. I'm also checking into - revocable living trust - as a way of managing my assets. I have an appointment with a financial advisor to discuss inheritance options and how best to manage my assets while I'm living and how to arrange them for when I'm gone.

There are several other options as well ... and I got pretty confused trying to sort them all out. That's why I decided to make an appointment with a financial advisor ... to get the explanations, get the pro's and con's, etc.
    • Snowflake1968
      Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
      JFT - Friday July 31
      1L of Water - 🙂
      Log all Food - 👿
      No Chips - 👿
      Gratitude journal - 👿

JFT - Saturday August 1
      1L of Water
      Log all Food
      No Chips
      Gratitude journal

@cschmitz110515 - I haven’t seen my friends since last winter either. I hope you had a wonderful evening!

@Bex953172 - you always give such mature advice and it’s always so well written. I had to laugh at Casey, what an outfit! At the risk of sounding like a meddling old lady, I don’t think she would sweat at her age, but could still overheat.

@littleblackskirt - as difficult it is for loved ones I truly understand how the elderly feel about being done. The quality of life doesn’t make up for the longevity when our health fails us.

@mytime6630 - I’ve been struggling with snacks too. My go to snack in the evening was always grapes, but I haven’t found good tasting ones for months now. One thing I’ve been buying a lot of is popsicles. They are only 45 calories and I can eat one and it freezes my mouth and makes it so nothing else would taste good. If I decide to have two it’s still under 100 calories. My problem is they come in a box of cherry, orange and grape. I don’t like grape so now have close to 40 grape popsicles for the grandkids to eat. Lol

@Kuhl50 - I’m in your side, I would help my girls if I could but I will not live frugally to give them a better head start. They would also be quite upset with us if we did that. Hopefully you and your husband can reach some decisions without too many problems.

@SERmom3 - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! - I am going to try to keep up with the No chips in August. I didn’t do as well as you in July but hopefully I can be more successful this month. I hope you have a fun party.

@cesse47 - I’m 2009 I quit smoking and was so scared of gaining weight that I lost 20lbs. I find losing weight so much harder than quitting smoking. My husband still smokes so it wasn’t even that the cigarettes weren’t here. I think my biggest issue is I love junk food, I love the taste of it and prefer it to anything healthy.

@TerriRichardson112 - I need to find some tasks. Maybe one of my goals will be to start my Christmas projects for the girls.

I need to go get dressed and do something with my hair so we can leave to go to our daughters. Unfortunately we are going to miss seeing our other daughter and grands as they are coming to get their camper while we are away.

• pridesabtch
      pridesabtch Posts: 2,264 Member
      Did something kind of silly, kind of fun this morning. Today is my niece's 30th birthday, and we were supposed to have a surprise party for her, but they are quarantined because they went to Florida last week. Soooo, my husband & I had gotten her a nice fire pit with wood & rocks to go in it. We decided she would be really excited and surprised if she woke up and there were gifts on her porch. This sounds very sweet, but what I haven't mentioned is that she was leaving for work at 6:00am, which means she would probably let the dogs out around 5:30. So this means we need to get the gifts there by 5:00am. Wow, yeah that's early, but wait! What I didn't tell you is that she lives 2.5 hours away. So today we got up at 2:00am to make this surprise happen. We got back in town around 7:30 and went to iHop, which means I'm already low on calories today, but she was so excited and happy it was totally worth it!

Other than that, I took a long nap! I have to do a few errands today, and may go to the doctor as some things aren't healing like I hoped.

Have a happy Saturday y'all!
    • cesse47
      @Snowflake1968 YES!!! Exactly!! Sometimes I crave salty / crunchy, other times sweet / salty, other times ICE CREAM!! Luckily my chocolate addiction and my Coke addiction have mostly gone away ... so a once a month treat is workable for those. I think I'm ok on the ice cream because I allow myself a Popsicle Fudgesicle as needed. The other two are my biggest problem snack areas ... and I haven't found a reasonably good substitute for either craving.

@pridesabtch That sounds like a fun way to celebrate ... I'd be giggling the whole way there. :p
    • amyjzed
      amyjzed Posts: 2 Member
      edited August 2020
      Hi, everyone. I’m new here. I’ve been gaining weight the past couple of years since starting a grad school program, but now that i’m finished I want to focus on getting back in shape. I used to run a lot— 5 days a week with multihour runs on weekends— and even competed in ultramarathons. Now that i’m about 25-30lbs overweight, running is quite hard to jump back into! So I know I need to focus on shedding some of this weight to begin with.

My goals for this month:
      1. Exercise 6 days a week
      2. Drink less alcohol (I’m thinking 2 glasses of wine on the weekend)
      3. Drink 8 glasses of water (I’ve always been bad at this)
      4. I know I should commit to logging my food here—it would at least make me more thoughtful.
      5. Come up with a plan for healthy meals.

Edited to add:
      Just for today:
      1. Exercised ✔️
      2. Drink 2 or fewer glasses of wine
      3. Drink 8 glasses of water (I think I had 3-4 so far)
      4. Log my food here 😬
      5. Make a healthy plan for next week’s meals.

I just wanted to post here to have some extra accountability and support.

Thanks, everyone! ((💗))
    • cesse47
      @amyjzed

Welcome!!
    • TerriRichardson112
      TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
      1dbe4tr2lwy4.jpg
      💜💜💜
      I choose to feed my body the nutrition it needs
      and feed my mind with the quality thoughts it deserves

💜💜💜

To all those essential workers still going out there....
      🙏🏻 Thank you for your service 🙏🏻
      Everyone else, please stay home!!!

What am I doing to keep busy? To name a few...
        [*] structuring my day
        [*] morning and evening meditation
        [*] Using the internet to ‘talk’ to family
        [*] crochet, jigsaws, journaling, gardening, reading, writing .......
        [*] HIIT videos off YouTube,
        [*] yoga/Taichi
        [*] Walks with DH
        [*] Cleaning! Cleaning! Cleaning! 😂
        [*] Decluttering
        [*] Stress relievers (search YouTube for Paul McKenna)
        Keep your chin up!
        Turning up is the ultimate success!
        2019 DISCARD 5 LBS CHALLENGES:
        01 Aug 2019: 170.1
        31 Dec 2019: 151.2
        Total weight loss: 19.9lbs
        2020 Personal Weight Challenge
        Name: Terri

SW: 152.1 (02 Jan)
        GW: 150

Jan: - 2
        Feb: - 1.3
        Mar: - 0.9
        Apri: +1.3 (not too bad, considering lockdown/Easter/Birthday this month)
        May: +0.7(working on upping my strength to tone muscles, so not unexpected. It's a balancing act! 😂)
        Jun: +0.2
        Phew!!! Weight has dropped below 150 again.

August Daily Goals: Week 1
        Sat: Sun: Mon: Tue:
        Wed: Thu: Fri:
        Weight < 150:
        1 Aug 2019: 170.1
        1 Aug 2020: 149.9

Reduce Fat%:✅ 29.3; 27.1; 25.2; 25.1
        Increase Muscle%: ✅ 28.7->30.1 30.3
        Calories < in the green 🦄
        Steps > 7500 🐝7913
        Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily🦄145
        Active hours > 6 daily🦄10
        Activities I got to do
        Meditation🧎‍♀️Exercise🚶‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🧘‍♀️
        Laundry/Chores🧺🧹
        Sole Mates Spreadsheet for Aug✅
        Declutter Hobbies room✅ (Ongoing)
        Crochet 🧶 Puzzles ✅ Watch TV🖥
        Local shopping✅ Gardening🌹🌻🌼

Had a good day working in the garden with DH.

H ~ Am I Hungry?
        A ~ Am I Angry?
        L ~ Am I Lonely?
        T ~ Am I Tired?

• SERmom3
        SERmom3 Posts: 568 Member
        Morning!
        The 50th anniversary party for my in laws was a great success. Not what we originally planned, but very nice. And my brother came through and entertained my mom for the day. Win-win!

SATURDAY:
        - eat sensibly (won’t be able to accurately track at the party)🟢
        - Scrape the house a little this morning🟢
        - Get girls ready for party🟢
        - Bank🔴/budget🟢

@Kuhl50 - That’s definitely a tough discussion to have. It’s great that you’re discussing it now before the issue is at hand. It will help take some of the emotion out of it. I love personal finance books. There are a lot out there that tie in relationships and financial decisions. I wonder if you could each find a book to support your decisions and have the other read it? Build a case for each side and maybe help find a middle ground. I wish I could recommend specific titles, but I haven’t read any that address those issues just yet. Our kids are still young, but I do imagine my husband and I could have different opinions here. I’m more like you...The point of saving money for retirement is for US to spend, not for THEM to inherit. 🤑

@littleblackskirt - I had chips (crisps) yesterday for the first time in a month and I felt the same way! Not worth the extra calories!

JFT SUNDAY:
        - log everything / stay green
        - Sing at church
        - Finish sanding the house / maybe paint
        - chores
        - Meal prep
        - 2 softball games tonight

Enjoy your Sunday!
      • LynnsWeigh
        LynnsWeigh Posts: 93 Member
        JFT- Sunday 8/2:

1-Log everything and complete journal
        2-Up water to 70 ounces
        3-Go to the market
        4-Eat dinner at home
      • Kuhl50
        Kuhl50 Posts: 416 Member
        Daily habits: track, 😀exercise, 👿journal😀
        Saturday Action Plan
        1. No alarm wake, pill, timer, weigh😀
        2. Shower, pill😀
        3. Breakfast = protein pancakes😀
        4. Put away laundry😀
        5. Review camping kitchen bins😀
        6. Go to Target for bins and items😀
        7. Arm weights👿
        1. 5 bench pushups😀
        8. Lunch = salad + protein😀
        9. Finish meal plan with girls and grocery list😀
        10. Grocery shop😀
        11. Meal prep —make salads, roast chicken😀
        12. Meal prep—make curry chili, marinate steaks, etc😀
        13. Layout exercise and travel clothes😀
        14. Journal😀
        15. Meditate🤨
        16. Sleep by 11😀

Busy and on my feet all day yesterday, but none of it counted as exercise. Off for a quick walk before we finalize all the packing and get out of here by 11 (we hope) and spend 6 nights camping and kayaking. See you all next Sunday!

Sunday Action Plan
        1. No alarm wake, pill, timer, weigh😀
        2. Walk
        3. Arm weights
        4. Shower, pill
        5. Breakfast = protein pancakes
        6. Finish packing kitchen bins
        7. Pack coolers
        8. Pack lunch cooler. Include water bottles
        9. Pack cards, games
        10. Find knitting and pack
        11. Finish packing clothes. Include sleep kit
        12. Pack up backpack, earbuds, charger, cords, kindle
        13. Bring pillows, including knee pillow
        14. Eating Windows: 12-1, 4-5 snack (pack a protein bar), and 7-8.
        15. Journal
        16. Sleep by 10:30

GRATITUDE: I am grateful for another day to start anew.