August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited August 2020
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    A monthly question.
    This year has been challenging mentally, emotionally and physically (for some of us). How are you coping? What do you do to get back on track? What challenges do you face and how are you managing them? (hint: if you are not it's time to do so).
    or
    Remember when you were 10-13 ish? What were your favorite after school shows, snacks, activities, favorite memories and friends or pets?
    I cope by being active (running, cycling, swimming, dance/workout videos on YouTube, etc.), being out in nature, and since I'm a Christian - prayer, worship music (on blast in my kitchen or live singing with hubby playing guitar), also spending time with friends, sitting on the balcony drinking tea, reading, quilting... As a family we started a "Family Fun Day" tradition where we go somewhere (preferably free) and do something fun. We've been plane spotting, and have checked out multiple lakes for swimming/biking/eating ice cream within driving distance from our house.

10-13ish I think I liked riding my bike, playing in the woods, reading and taking care of my flock of chickens. I wanted to be a veterinarian. I don't think I had really discovered my musical talents at that point, but was starting to like playing the flute and my brothers complained that I sang all the time.
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member

I also run 3x a week, being injury prone I need the recovery time. For me when I was a beginner my pace really started to improve when I started doing long runs of at least 10k (6.2 miles.) Then when my long runs reached 8 miles there was a BIG jump in my easy pace - it went from easy being about 11 minutes to easy being more like 9:45 or so. My race pace increased at the same time, not so much that I was able to run faster as that I was able to maintain a hard effort over a longer distance. The other thing that helped was working on my form, being more forward and concentrating on pushing off to the rear instead of trying to reach out in front of me.

There’s also no shame in being slow, particularly if you are a woman, older, or short! [/quote]

@rheddmobile - Very helpful information, thank you! Your times/race pace/frequency that you described are what I'd like to work toward in August. I've learned about the tips for longer runs to help increase speed, but I'm going to try to get to 6-8miles on long runs (also excited to earn those extra exercise calories on long runs!).

Regarding form, I watched one youtube video that recommended propelling your legs/feet the way you would a bicycle, so it looks like your knees go up more. I tried that the other day and I felt like I was up in the air more (which I've read elsewhere where that's not reocmmended), but on the other hand, it also felt like I was floating through space and felt less effortful on the body. Don't know if this also creates more shock to one's knees/feet.

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,520 Member
    A monthly question.
    This year has been challenging mentally, emotionally and physically (for some of us). How are you coping? What do you do to get back on track? What challenges do you face and how are you managing them? (hint: if you are not it's time to do so).
    or
    Remember when you were 10-13 ish? What were your favorite after school shows, snacks, activities, favorite memories and friends or pets?

Having been lucky that there are so many jobs either at home for others that I haven't time to consider the issues - always time to hear from any of you if you need a spare ear.

I cannot remember 13 years old, way too long ago!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    Welcome to all the newcomers! I think you'll really like this group.

Glad you are back @polskagirl01 !

Welcome back @bride001 . You are going to be a busy little bee!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    I got up early this morning so I could get in 3 miles before my normal Sunday stuff started. I was actually out the door at 6:50. (That's really early for me.) It was 70°F and 83% humidity. So, in theory, it shouldn't have been that bad, but I felt like I was running under water. My legs were fine, but I had a hard time breathing...especially for the first mile or so. I did manage negative splits, partly because I did fartleks the last mile. I just wanted to get it to be over. LOL

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    I got up early this morning so I could get in 3 miles before my normal Sunday stuff started. I was actually out the door at 6:50. (That's really early for me.) It was 70°F and 83% humidity. So, in theory, it shouldn't have been that bad, but I felt like I was running under water. My legs were fine, but I had a hard time breathing...especially for the first mile or so. I did manage negative splits, partly because I did fartleks the last mile. I just wanted to get it to be over. LOL

exercise.png

exercise.png

That is early! Way to get it done even in the heat!
  • hamsterwheel6
    I did not set an alarm this morning, so of course it was already hot by the time I headed out at 8:45 for my 7 miles. I also realized that my running hat was nasty from yesterday, as I didn’t do laundry last night, so I pulled out a sweatband and rocked my inner 80s rock star. I need to order another hat.

11/75 miles

I’m getting used to sleeping in on weekends. Another reason I got the spin bike, lol!
    Great for getting out at that time!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Welcome to all the newcomers! I think you'll really like this group.

Glad you are back @polskagirl01 !

Welcome back @bride001 . You are going to be a busy little bee!

Yes welcome newcomers!