August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    08/05: 3.5

Very late start. I have been slacking mainly because my injuries. Today I was able to run 3.5. Hopefully I can meet my monthly goal.

exercise.png
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY @quilteryoyo !!!!! I SO want to hug you and celebrate you and make you a cake and fill your house with balloons!

(I get super duper, ridiculously excited about birthdays)

61! I hope you are proud of yourself. You do so much, for so many. I hope you can make time today to do things for YOU.

@Elise4270 I'm glad you were able to get help with your son's phone. I still have my mom's house phone (landline) saved in my phone and if/when her husband calls, it comes up as Mom. It is both painfully horrifying and comforting. Sometimes, like this last weekend, when I am running, I think of her and I stop and feel like I could scream until my insides burst. I could scream and cry until I combust. Until there is nothing left. In some strange way, I would welcome it. I would prefer it. Then, I look ahead and see something beautiful and keep going and can't wait to tell my kids what I've seen and bring them back to show them. This is what grief is. It both swallows us and propels us. I cannot relate to losing a child. I'm just empathizing with the grief. I hope that you are comforted in even the smallest of ways just knowing - you are not alone.

@RunsOnEspresso that article is exactly what i am afraid of. For myself, my kids, my coworkers (why in the world are we even at work)...

Strength training last night - ordered nutrition supplies for the next challenge this morning. More GU gels because they're cheap and seem to be effective as well as tailwind for the run and I splurged on tailwind recovery mix. Has anyone tried that? I may have just wasted $20 but if it's amazing, then that'll be great. I struggle to eat after a long run. My mouth hurts, my body hurts, I'm not hungry... Was thinking that drinking the recovery would be easier.

Still need to go look at trail shoes. Running can be so expensive. I wouldn't do it but I got my salomons before I had even ever run five miles straight and ordered a size that does not work for distance. I am pretty sure that's how I got a black toenail - that, and overuse. I am hoping i can find some that are not MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and that feel great... and I really hope they just happen to be the nike wildhorse... because they look amazing and that's what Sally McRae wears (and yes, I do know that NEITHER OF THOSE THINGS ARE PRIORITY).

I digress..

I finished reading Gone Girl yesterday. I'm waiting on Ruth Ware's next book - it comes out in September. In the meantime, I got her 57 minute read on audible for $1.60. It's called Snowflakes. I'll letcha know. ;)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited August 2020
    @quilteryoyo Hope you had a great birthday!!!
  • Tramboman
    08/01 - 10 miles
    08/04 - 5 miles

I felt really great on my run this morning all the way up until that stupid hill at the end. There are not words for how much I hate that hill. My last mile is always a minute slower than all my other miles on that route.

I know how you feel, but keep in mind, that stupid hill is doing wonders for your strength and fitness. Of course you’re going to run it slower - it’s a stupid hill - it’s just unfortunate that it’s at the end of your route. Keep up the good work!

I agree with the analysis that the hill is making you stronger.
    Ever think about reversing the route and running downhill at the beginning?
  • Tramboman
    8-1 rest
    8-2 7k easy
    8-3 rest
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 7k moderate

August Total: 21k
    August Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k

2020 Total through July: 1236k / 176.5k per month

Foggy and low 60s F this morning. Almost like a fall run. Fog didn't burn off until I was nearly done.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    4.25 progression run this morning.

First 30 minutes eased into the pace zone and felt good. Last 10 minutes of the faster pace was hard. I barely hit goal pace because I had to stop & walk twice. I was just too warm (it was only 86° when I started at 5 am).

At lucnh I'll do my core work and maybe hop on the bike.

5.75/whatever my goal was. 77? 80? 90? I don't remember what I said haha
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @faebert All the unknowns with it are so scary. How it seems to affect everyone differently with no rhyme or reason. And the long term effects. We don't know if the damages to heart & lung will be short or long term. All we can do is try to keep ourselves safe. 🖤
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member

I know how you feel, but keep in mind, that stupid hill is doing wonders for your strength and fitness. Of course you’re going to run it slower - it’s a stupid hill - it’s just unfortunate that it’s at the end of your route. Keep up the good work!

I mean obviously the hill helps with things but I’ve been running it all summer and I’m always going to hate it. I don’t think I need to like or look forward to it just because it provides benefits. Everyone has parts of training they don’t enjoy.
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    8/3 - Estimated distance: 6.96 mi (11.22 km). Time: 93 min.
    8/4 - Distance-3.44mi; Pace-11:44. Got to take out the new FitBit Charge 4 on today's run. This is my first fitness tracker and I'm...skeptical? It's nice to get more, and supposedly accurate data, but having to rely on another device is not something I am used to or want. I couldn't figure out how to stop the run, so actually, I think I saw the actual estimated pace to be 11:04, which makes me a lot more encouraged about my goal to get to a 10min/mile by the end of the month.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
    August Goal: 100 Miles

8/2: 10.52 miles
    8/4: 6.40 miles
    8/5: 6.52 miles

23.44/100 miles completed for August

839.45/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

My last two runs had really nice weather, but today it was back to August in Texas. I guess it could have been worse, but it definitely felt like a slog for most of the run. I did get 6.5 miles in though and as usual after the run I felt great and was glad I went. But like @Scott6255 I had a few times during the run that I thought about quitting, but I was too far away from home and I needed to get back. I didn't really get any faster though. I think I just got slower and slower as I went along. But still faster than walking. :D I guess looking back it wasn't a bad run. It was just hot and I felt slow. I did see a few other people out running today which is unusual. I sometimes see walkers, but rarely see runners. I think tomorrows weather will be about the same as today and since it is going to be over 100° for the next two weeks I'll just have to remind myself that it is cooler before work than it would be any other time of day. And I need to remember that I run slower when it is hot and try not to worry about my pace.

@elise4270 I'm glad you figured out the phone situation.

@quilteryoyo Happy belated birthday! Great job getting your 6.1 mile run in. And kudos to you for telling the daycare you would come in at 10 instead of earlier. You do so much for others, you need to make sure that you remember to take time for yourself.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @quilteryoyo Happy Belated Birthday!
    hope you had a great day

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @quilteryoyo Happy Happy Belated Birthday! And yes! for getting the run in!!
    @Elise4270 Ditto on the phone issue. Like @Camaramandy648 I have my dad's cell phone listed as Mom on my phone because she was usually the one who would call me, even from his phone. She has been gone 10 years now, and I too have moments like @Camaramandy648 wrote about. You are not alone.

8.25 Miles today. Yesterday was spin. Because I'm running every other day, now, I feel like I can go longer on the days I do run, and the cycling must be helping.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @hamsterwheel6 I've been doing two miles of cycling on my off-running days, which during the week, are very short running anyway. So short that they barely count (haha). I think it is helping me too! Working differrent muscles maybe?

Lifting and PT between the cycling and running - really just trying to stay injury free!

Yes! Exactly!