Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    dustyspal wrote: »
    Trying to keep this up. I'm a morning person, which is great that I can beat the heat. I walk a mile then jog 2 miles. That must be a sight! Then I walk the dogs a mile. Soon I will resume hiking. I love hiking, but there have been too many rattlesnakes in the mountains this year. I don't do snakes.

Any other hikers here?

In my mind, I'm a hiker. In reality, I'm not even a walker. Wait--that's the old me. As of now, I AM a walker and I WILL BE a hiker very soon. (No rattlesnakes to worry about here in Maine, but the mosquitoes and black flies can be a real pain to contend with.)

Thanks for the inspiration!
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Really blew it today ☹️. I stayed below my calories BUT didn't eat too good. Was busy just about all day and DH had to have a couple teeth cut out so his mouth/jaw is hurting and he didn't feel like eating anything so, instead of cooking just for myself I had a sandwich, chips and dip for lunch then some ice cream with hubby for a evening snack. Not a very nutritious day. I'll get back on a healthy way of eating tomorrow.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm a 56-yo woman (5'4") and, although I've pretty much always been on the heavier side, my current weight of 210 lbs is the most I've ever been. I lost 45 lbs on WW 20+ years ago, putting me below goal weight, and I kept the weight off for several years...then it started coming back on a little at a time. It's been up and down for 15 years, with each up going higher and each down not quite getting to goal.

I do know that MFP/journaling works for me and I'm counting on the encouragement and accountability without judgement this group offers to get me through the tough spots. The last time I dared take measurements and record them was on MFP in 2015. What I wouldn't give to be where I was then!

In all my years of losing/gaining/losing, I've never taken before/during/after pictures. When my weight is climbing, I avoid full-length mirrors and do my best to keep the camera focus off me. Today, I took a good long and painful look at myself in the mirror, got angry instead of sad, and took the damned pictures.

I'm here. I'm determined. I'm a team player and will stand by you or help lift you up, whichever you need. Thank you for letting me join you on the journey.

Donna

Welcome Donna!

We’re glad you’re here and joining the journey. Today is your day 1...celebrate your start to a healthier you!

Post as often as you’d like... this is a great group of supportive friends. Sunday’s are our check in day... look at past posts... use whatever style you like.

We’re here for you!

Jill🥰
  • jm216
    2wb4obby0aem.jpeg
  • grandrory
    Ever since I hurt my back I've been kind of in a slump and having trouble shaking it off. What do y'all do to over come something that sets you back? I'm really struggling with this.
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    grandrory wrote: »
    Ever since I hurt my back I've been kind of in a slump and having trouble shaking it off. What do y'all do to over come something that sets you back? I'm really struggling with this.

I think reaching out to your friends here is a great first step to overcoming! Is it getting back into journaling, making better food choices, finding a new way to be active that doesn't bother your back, or an overall blah that you're having trouble shaking off?
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Really blew it today ☹️. I stayed below my calories BUT didn't eat too good. Was busy just about all day and DH had to have a couple teeth cut out so his mouth/jaw is hurting and he didn't feel like eating anything so, instead of cooking just for myself I had a sandwich, chips and dip for lunch then some ice cream with hubby for a evening snack. Not a very nutritious day. I'll get back on a healthy way of eating tomorrow.

You have the right mindset to get back to healthy eating. If you stayed in your calories, you will be ok. You will make the better choices next meal.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member

Find something that you can focus on that doesn't require using your back. Are you trying to plan ahead? Meal plan. Anything you do to improve your focus on what you are trying to achieve is great.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2020

For me it would involve a beer, a think and then, dressed in what mother nature gave me, a good long look at myself in a full length mirror.
    If that doesn't remotivate me then all hope would be lost!
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »

For me it would involve a beer, a think and then, dressed in what mother nature gave me, a good long look at myself in a full length mirror.
    If that doesn't remotivate me then all hope would be lost!

🤣 You are hilarious!
  • grandrory
    @daydrem_dw its a little of all those things. It started with hurting my back. I was in so much pain I could barely walk. Before that, I was doing great. I was feeling good about myself being able to workout and stuff but once I got knocked down I started to turn to food for comfort (old habit). I've been trying to work on the things I know that need to be changed. I thought I had the emotional/stress eating under control but guess not, ugh 😩.
    @crosbylee no I don't plan ahead for meals. I try but then something always comes up at the last minute and I change what I had planned. Yesterday I did make out a list of healthy snacks, etc. that I can keep around. So next time I go shopping I'll pick up these things. I've been reading the success stories in the forums for motivation. Hearing how other people deal with "life situations" and how they over come them really helps me to see what all I can and should do.
    @cpnknight you are too funny my friend 😄. But I know exactly what you're saying, I looked at myself in a mirror yesterday and thought "how and when and why did I allow myself to get in this shape"? Was definitely an eye opener!
  • jm216
    bt4psgi0c0wj.jpeg

Happy Friday friends!
  • grandrory
    I've been giving myself pep talks all day 😉. I went shopping and got healthy snack items...snack size beef jerky sticks, low fat Greek yogurt, low fat cheese, some fresh fruit and Parmesan crisps. I've been hearing a lot about cauliflower rice. It's suppose to be a healthier alternative to white rice. Has anyone tried it? I almost bought some but was afraid I wouldn't like it so decided not to.
    I normally don't weigh myself but once a week (Sunday) but step on scales today. I was the exact weight I was last Sunday. It's not a gain so I'll take it. After I got home from shopping I felt a little tenderness in my low back, guess I was on my feet too long. But I can't let it get me down! I'm trusting it'll be well enough to start getting some form of exercise next week, even if it's just walking.
    I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I've been giving myself pep talks all day 😉. I went shopping and got healthy snack items...snack size beef jerky sticks, low fat Greek yogurt, low fat cheese, some fresh fruit and Parmesan crisps. I've been hearing a lot about cauliflower rice. It's suppose to be a healthier alternative to white rice. Has anyone tried it? I almost bought some but was afraid I wouldn't like it so decided not to.
    I normally don't weigh myself but once a week (Sunday) but step on scales today. I was the exact weight I was last Sunday. It's not a gain so I'll take it. After I got home from shopping I felt a little tenderness in my low back, guess I was on my feet too long. But I can't let it get me down! I'm trusting it'll be well enough to start getting some form of exercise next week, even if it's just walking.

This may not be helpful, but I've tried cauliflower rice. It's very neutral tasting IMO, but a somewhat different consistency/texture from white rice. Some people on MFP like it a lot, others seem to dislike it as not rice-like enough.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of white rice, but love cauliflower, especially roasted quite dark. I didn't enjoy the cauliflower rice, not because it was objectionable in any way, but because it didn't taste very much like cauliflower.

My best guess would be that most people would find it fairly unobjectionable (little flavor, soft texture), if they could get over wanting it to be Just Like White Rice. Personally, I doubt you'd be taking a huge risk trying it, especially if you're open minded, especially if you don't hateHate cauliflower. At worst, you could use whatever you have left as a puree (blender or food processor) to add some nutrients to a "creamy" soup or sauce. 🤷‍♀️

I think it's good to try things. Usually low risk, and occasionally there are wonderful revelations.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    edited August 2020
    Believe it or not, Personal Trainers get out of shape too when they let their own eating and fitness habits lapse. In March, I was up to 218lbs. Pretty chubby for a PT. Then COVID hit and closed down my gym. I took this time off to focus on myself to get back into the shape I SHOULD be in. As of today I'm at 181lbs. Still have about 15lbs to lose the rest of the body fat I want and get my 6 pack to show again. And I'm 56. 0yql5qu5bgo9.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jm216
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Believe it or not, Personal Trainers get out of shape too when they let their own eating and fitness habits lapse. In March, I was up to 218lbs. Pretty chubby for a PT. Then COVID hit and closed down my gym. I took this time off to focus on myself to get back into the shape I SHOULD be in. As of today I'm at 181lbs. Still have about 15lbs to lose the rest of the body fat I want and get my 6 pack to show again. And I'm 56. 0yql5qu5bgo9.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Awesome job getting back at it! Welcome to the group... I’m sure you’ll get lots of questions since you’re an expert in your field... and you’ve shared you experience in gaining and losing. 💪

Jill
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    edited August 2020

@grandrory you are picking yourself up and starting again!! No weight gain is good and you absolutely have got this. Our journeys are not a straight line there will be ups and downs and we learn as we go. Having healthy snacks in the house will make a big difference. I can eat cauliflower rice it really is neutral tasting, but I just cut back on rice in general and eat brown rice when I really want some.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    This week has not been a good week....
    I have come to the conclusion that my chances of losing weight is remote so the rest of this week is really just a "damage limitation exercise".
    Back on track and see how things go on Sunday.
  • grandrory
    izt6qxs9co9a.jpeg
  • jm216
    izt6qxs9co9a.jpeg

You are absolutely right... and Ellen, too. When you fall, you get back up again. We’re all here to cheer you on through the good, the bad, and the ugly. We’re that friend that you go to when you need to talk or when you need that little nudge in the right direction.

When weight loss is going well, it can be fun. When it gets hard ... and the scale isn’t budging ... or you’ve eaten all of you calories by lunchtime, it sucks! That’s when it’s easier to give up. We have to remember...we can never give up on ourselves.
    Chalk it up to an off day, then move on, and drop the guilt. Each day is a new opportunity.

We are amazing... and we are worth it.

🥰Jill