Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/rounds/top-5-covid-19-vaccine-candidates-explained

Here is one recent summary.

I do not have the link in hand but one from a Chinese firm was hoping for theirs to protect 60% of the people jabed and last for 6 months. Sound like the odds for regular flu shots perhaps and long term side effects will become known it the following years.

From what I read it sounds like Bill Gates supported labs are making progress.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Regarding holiday plans, I'm open to the possibility that there will be much better testing -- readily available, quick results, more accurate. I'm optimistic that at some point, if not by the holidays, people can take a test before deciding to visit grandma.

Our two college kids will live at home Thanksgiving-January, and we've asked them to test before they come back home. We had a lot of pointless quarantining -- 8 weeks total -- because tests were not available and results took >2 weeks. Each time a kid came home, we stayed in 2 weeks. Then one had indoor exposure (dinner) to someone who tested positive (step brother). Looking back, it seems like so much wasted effort because of inadequate testing. A cheap saliva self-test could make the holidays a lot merrier and safer for all.

ETA: https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/saliva-tests-how-they-work-and-what-they-bring-to-covid-19-67720
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/15/fda-clears-saliva-test-for-covid-19-opening-door-to-wider-testing/
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    My cousin is taking more preventative measures than anyone I know. We call her CDC. She just related to us that we need to flush and run, especially in public places. It is the dreaded 'Rona mushroom cloud. Toilet plumes
    lift 'Rona droplets out into the atmosphere to be inhaled. They say, Ol' CDC to turn your head after flushing and run like hail. Just what we need. More multi-cr@p to worry about. :p
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    A question to those who have worn masks in public places for a longer time: do you get more skin irritation/flare-ups in your chin, nose or cheeks?

We got a mask advisory for public transportation on Thursday, and today a newspaper did interviews of people in the train. There was a woman who didn’t wear a mask, and her arguments included ”it will only be useful if everyone wears it, so I won’t wear it unless forced”, which, ?????? Can’t really understand the logic. Her other argument was that her cosmetologist/beautician had speculated on possible skin issues, which, again, I really wonder if they could be worse than the effects of covid-19.

Whether the mask causes pimples or other skin issues won’t affect my decision to wear a mask, but I got genuinely curious.

I haven't had any skin issues from masks.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    A question to those who have worn masks in public places for a longer time: do you get more skin irritation/flare-ups in your chin, nose or cheeks?

We got a mask advisory for public transportation on Thursday, and today a newspaper did interviews of people in the train. There was a woman who didn’t wear a mask, and her arguments included ”it will only be useful if everyone wears it, so I won’t wear it unless forced”, which, ?????? Can’t really understand the logic. Her other argument was that her cosmetologist/beautician had speculated on possible skin issues, which, again, I really wonder if they could be worse than the effects of covid-19.

Whether the mask causes pimples or other skin issues won’t affect my decision to wear a mask, but I got genuinely curious.

My sister works in healthcare, she's got maskne. My husband's cousin works at Walmart, she has it - she said she has 60-year-old women complaining about the acne.

Both of them said disposable ones make it worse, something in the material?
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

My sister works in healthcare, she's got maskne. My husband's cousin works at Walmart, she has it - she said she has 60-year-old women complaining about the acne.

My husband has to wear a specific type of disposable mask at work and you can see chapped skin through his beard :(

My oldest just turned 13 so breakouts have been happening for a little while, but he has this weird area on each side of his nose/upper lip area - can’t tell if it’s a rash or breakout. He doesn’t wear a mask often (to church on Sunday, only during coming and going because we sit off to ourselves in the “storage area” pews, random other occasions are rare because most activities are just our family and outdoors), so it seems weird that it would be the cause, but we can’t figure out what else it would be.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

I've worn several types of masks and none irritated my skin. However, I don't need them for long stretches of time. Average time is about 30-45 minutes (grocery shopping.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Better safe than sorry until we get an effective vaccine

Do you really think we will get an effective vaccine? There's never been a vaccine for a coronavirus before, viruses mutate all the time, and we can't even get a decent vaccine for the flu half the time (it seems like anyway). Not to mention there will be no long term studies to see what effects any vaccine will have long term....just seems like hoping for a vaccine is a pipe dream at best :(.

It just doesn't seem realistic - and honest question, will you be happy to live the rest of your life isolated from friends and family? Because that could happen if we don't come up with a vaccine. I mean we can hope for a vaccine that is long term proven both effective and safe but what will our mental health be if we avoid all people/activities for so long? Will you be willing to take one that hasn't had any long term studies on it? Isn't that risking health issues just as much as Covid?

The flu vaccine is actually very effective, the problem is there are many versions of the flu and they don't always predict the correct ones. Even so, if everyone who could get the vaccine every year did get it, we would have a better chance on any given year of at least approaching herd immunity and greatly reducing flu transmission.

One of the primary reasons there are no coronavirus vaccines is that the common coronaviruses are not dangerous and the dangerous ones are not common. It's simply not budget conscious. C19 is I think the first coronavirus to warrant the time and resources to develop and produce a vaccine.

My understanding from researchers I follow on social media is the two major vaccines being tested in the US are being built with ingredients already being used in other vaccines. Assuming phase 3 of either trial shows efficacy, I will be in line for a jab as soon as I'm allowed. As more data comes out, it sounds like a measurable percentage of people end up with long term side effects like chronic fatigue, heart inflammation, circulatory issues, even those who had a mild illness. Could be as high as 40%. Serious stuff.

It is quite possible that at least in the beginning, continuing boosters will be required to maintain some level of immunity.

Having said that, of course there's no guarantee. If there is no vaccine, efforts will have to switch to increasingly efficient testing and treatment to avoid the millions of deaths seen in 1918. I'll worry about that bridge if we get there, which hopefully we won't. But I'm not going to throw caution to the wind now because I might have to throw caution to the wind later. We don't know enough yet to give up IMHO.

While I respect your decision to get in line for a jab, I am curious as to why you do not find this to be a deterrent "As more data comes out, it sounds like a measurable percentage of people end up with long term side effects like chronic fatigue, heart inflammation, circulatory issues, even those who had a mild illness. Could be as high as 40%."

I took it to mean that she was listing the risks associated with getting the virus. So in light of the likelihood of experiencing those long term after-effects, she is really seriously considering getting the vaccine right away. That's how I read it anyway.

Yes, this. Sorry if that wasn't clear, it looks like I was typing as the thoughts popped into my head lol. The long lasting effects are from covid-19, the jab would hopefully help to spare me from them!

Oh! I thought you meant as more data comes out about the VACCINES, not the VIRUS, lol. Thanks for clearing that up :)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

My husband has to wear a specific type of disposable mask at work and you can see chapped skin through his beard :(

My oldest just turned 13 so breakouts have been happening for a little while, but he has this weird area on each side of his nose/upper lip area - can’t tell if it’s a rash or breakout. He doesn’t wear a mask often (to church on Sunday, only during coming and going because we sit off to ourselves in the “storage area” pews, random other occasions are rare because most activities are just our family and outdoors), so it seems weird that it would be the cause, but we can’t figure out what else it would be.

I would add, I work from home so I just wear my mask when entering the gym and to church on Sunday, as well as a once-weekly shopping trip (if we don't do pickup) and/or the occasional dash into the dollar store. I just have my regular annoying adult acne, I haven't noticed any more due to mask usage, but I'm not wearing mine all day like my family members who mentioned it.