Coronavirus prep

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Of course in IL liquor and recreational marijuana retailers have been deemed essential and open through all of this.

I'm in IL. Did you hear anything about the gyms yet? I didn't hear anything.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    *snip*

I'm not going 100 feet near a gym until I'm 100% convinced that it's not being spread by outdated ventilation systems. If hospitals are unable to control it, there's no way the local gym or restaurants have the ability to control the spread.

Just read something yesterday how the current mutated strain is way more contageous than what hit WA state early on and that's the one that hit NYC (and is more prevalent now). Seems scientists can't agree how easily this is spread. I'm imagining that's why we have Meat Plant workers quitting their jobs despite the fact there are no jobs. To me, that really says something.

I understand you needing to go to the gym for your sanity. I think it's the worrier in me. I'd go to the gym and be paranoid as anything, more fearful about bringing it home and infecting my wife or daughter than myself.

This one is the one that I think has scientists worried more than anything. I've also read some ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning) articles on how woefully inadequate our current ventilation systems are to combat this.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

Makes sense, I don't think this is an issue with my gym. It is a single-story building with very high ceilings, the air intakes are far over 6' above the area. Droplets pause in the air and go down, they don't go up that far. Also, our gym opens the doors regularly for fresh air flow, which reduces droplets in the air.

Given the diagrams in that article, it is apples and oranges to my gym - and honestly every gym I've been in.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @MikePfirrman Agreed. Our rec center shower rooms are a complete dump. They're cleaned at the beginning and end of summer and that's about all she wrote. There's black mold in the corners and the same old shower curtains are used. I have a question.

There are older ones who go there with MRSA. Some of them have been battling it for years and they're on antibiotics all of the time. They go into the swimming pool and therapy pools. This part gets touchy but someone out there might know the answers. They are several of them wearing depends into the pools and yes, it concerns me. Two with longterm MRSA. They're not going to stop going into the pools and with Covid-19, I assume they're at a higher risk of contracting it, too.

I really enjoy swimming but I think I'm about through with it for the rest of this year. There are no depends police over at the pool who will tell them they can no longer do that. Any thoughts or answers would be greatly appreciated. How catchy is MRSA in the pool? There. I said it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman Agreed. Our rec center shower rooms are a complete dump. They're cleaned at the beginning and end of summer and that's about all she wrote. There's black mold in the corners and the same old shower curtains are used. I have a question.

There are older ones who go there with MRSA. Some of them have been battling it for years and they're on antibiotics all of the time. They go into the swimming pool and therapy pools. This part gets touchy but someone out there might know the answers. They are several of them wearing depends into the pools and yes, it concerns me. Two with longterm MRSA. They're not going to stop going into the pools and with Covid-19, I assume they're at a higher risk of contracting it, too.

I really enjoy swimming but I think I'm about through with it for the rest of this year. There are no depends police over at the pool who will tell them they can no longer do that. Any thoughts or answers would be greatly appreciated. How catchy is MRSA in the pool? There. I said it.

I'm not sure but I had a bad case of MRSA around 10 years ago from cutting my foot on corral in Belize. Nearly ended up in the ICU over it. It's extremely hard to get rid of. And I took four or so rounds of antibiotics, which is also terrible for you! I've been tested in the last few years and no trace of it, but it's so contagious.

I believe that all indoor pools should have a UV system backing up their chlorine or they shouldn't be allowed. Just my two cents. There are many more chlorine resistant bugs popping up in indoor pools that only UV kills. I have a UV system at home in addition to my chlorine system on my pool and hot tub. But again, I'm like one step shy of Howie Mandell when it comes to germs.

The CDC believes there have been no cases of spread of MRSA in pools. I'd more worry about the other stuff.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman Agreed. Our rec center shower rooms are a complete dump. They're cleaned at the beginning and end of summer and that's about all she wrote. There's black mold in the corners and the same old shower curtains are used. *snip*

Ew. At my gym the showers are cleaned at LEAST once a week by a professional crew. They are cleaner than my home shower...*looks around guiltily* I mean...um, we clean ours too, but there is hair on occasion and we have kids so bath crayon on the wall, etc.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Of course in IL liquor and recreational marijuana retailers have been deemed essential and open through all of this.

This is ridiculous!! Liquor was restricted since the lockdown where I live. Only became available again from Monday this week. And marijuana is still illegal.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member

I think liquor has been deemed essential in every state with closures. I know it was the case here in MN as well.

PA has state run liquor stores for wine and hard liquor. Beer and some wine is available in some (but not all) groceries and gas station mini-marts. The state stores were closed along with everything else, but have started doing drive up sales in a few places. People have been driving to W.Va and NJ to get alcohol, and I think the government was worried about the loss of revenue, plus the fact that it's illegal to transport across state lines. Supposedly, the state stores will reopen in the dozen or so counties that are partly opening this weekend.

I read an article yesterday about India opening up their liquor stores after 6 weeks and having a huge run on them when the doors opened. The crowds were immense. So the government decided to do a special 70% Covid tax on alcohol. That 's one way to cut down on the crowds.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Makes sense to me to allow alcohol sales if such are within shopping complexes that are open anyway for supermarkets and such.
    ( quite apart from the forcing withdrawals on dependant people health concerns - that makes sense too. )

Also ( here in Australia anyway) we have a lot of drive through bottle shops - so people stay in their car and very minimal contact with the serving attendant and none with anyone else.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Wearing a mask is the law in IL.

Only if you can't maintain 6 ft. social distancing in public.

From the article:

As of May 1, all Illinois residents over age 2 must wear a face mask when they can’t maintain a 6-foot social distance in public. Studies show that the coronavirus can spread between people interacting in close proximity, including people who are not showing symptoms.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-cb-coronavirus-face-masks-20200430-byjd67uhevdtnomqh3rokcgv7u-story.html

Agreed, although my Nextdoor is continual arguments between those who think you can't maintain 6 ft of distancing outside and those who do. (I think you mostly can in my neighborhood, but am starting to feel shamed if not wearing a mask. I sit by a window a lot and most people I see are wearing masks.)
  • lemurcat2
    edited May 2020

Most stuff is in reality open in IL, including now stores with curbside pickup (obviously not everything is open in-store, lots are not). Pretty sure liquor is essential throughout almost all of the US, UK, etc., and marijuana most places with legal marijuana.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It seems to me that you (US as a whole) are opening up far more quickly in comparison to case load than we are here.

(1) It varies a bunch by state (we aren't opening here in IL).

(2) You (AU) got more notice before having lots of cases from what I can see vs the US or Europe, so there's more pressure to open up too early here.

(3) Some states/counties in the US don't have lots of cases (and they are the ones, unlike mine, that the president likes) -- this is a problem, as he blames the ones with lots of cases as if it were our fault although that's ridiculous, but it's part of not taking responsibility and calling anyone concerned "sheeple" as some in the country seem to be doing.

Yes it varies by state here too - although not within a state. Except in an area of a specific cluster where short term orders will apply - schools in that area only closed, for example.

Yes it did help that it came here later.
    Also helped that leaders of the country took it seriously and implemented orders early. Nobody thought it was a hoax by their political opponents.
    Has been bipartisan support here, not political division, that has helped too.

And I think more compliance from majority of population - no protests, or organised rebellious behaviour

Would be so nice not to have it be partisan. Here part of the issue is it's worst in larger metro areas and there's a clear split politically between metro and rural areas.
  • lemurcat2

I think liquor has been deemed essential in every state with closures. I know it was the case here in MN as well.

Pretty screwed up priorities IMO and I drink.

In IL it's pretty irrelevant as grocery stores are open and delivery is largely open and liquor (of all kinds) is available both ways.
  • lemurcat2
    dbanks80 wrote: »

I'm in IL. Did you hear anything about the gyms yet? I didn't hear anything.

We don't know yet. I'm doing virtual training with my trainer (mostly to support her and to motivate myself) and she is saying internally they are guessing mid June and with limits on numbers, but this is Chicago so could be different. I doubt it will be sooner, more likely in Chicago it will be later.