Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    On the news today it was reported that a resident of LaCrosse WI (border city with MN) who had Covid 3 months ago, may be reinfected now. They are trying to determine whether it’s a reinfection or a flare up of the previous infection. It was also reported there is a similar case reported in Kentucky Tuesday. I wonder how this affects antibody theories?

We saw reinfections already months ago in other countries, so it is a thing.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    My granddaughter graduated high school this year. No graduation. Once in a lifetime. She’s ok. No senior prom. Once in a lifetime. She’s ok. No state softball tournament. It’s hard, but she’ll be ok. No all state softball tournament. Once in a lifetime for her. She’s heartbroken.

I had a senior as well. She has missed so much: volunteering, an internship experience, a free summer to hang with friends, a summer job. She's really losing patience with people who won't take the precautions needed to get the virus down. She's bracing herself for the possible further disappointment of ending up with all her Freshman classes in college online-only. I was talking to her a min ago, and she had the crazy eyes. I wouldn't cross her today... :grimace:

My senior was bummed about the sports aspects also. Fortunately for her, she is going to a college that is actually having classes in-person. The school is starting early so when kids go home for Thanksgiving break they don't return a couple days later with possibly having covid and getting others ill. So, we dropped her off at her university on Monday Aug 3rd. The first semester will then end right before Thanksgiving.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I live in AZ now, but I'm a huge (and hopeless) Bengals fan. NFL fans are hoping the season gets played and if you pay any attention to the draft, Joe Burrow is now a Bengal, so fans are even more excited about Cincinnati.

I personally don't see an NFL season happening, as much as I'd like it to. They, like MLB and the NBA, are allowing players to "opt out" of the season. Here's the thing with football players. Be definition, O-linemen are obese. They have to be to be 300 plus pounds. It's part of the job.

I'd be curious how other football fans feel. Though I'd love to see my team play this year, I have no desire for anyone to die for my entertainment.

Every professional league and university athletic program is desperate for their seasons to start. Even if they can't host fans, they need the TV revenue. They are trying to preserve their profitability and their jobs, regardless of the risk to players and staff.

So, far, the NBA and NHL have been successful in restarting their seasons ONLY because they are keeping players and staff in a quarantined "bubble" in host/hub cities. No travel, no going home, no outside food, no families, no women.

MLB opted for allowing teams to play in their home ballparks, travel to other team's ballparks, stay at their own homes in their home cities. And now you see the Miami Marlins have a huge outbreak with at least 17 players testing positive. That was in the first week of play. This will happen to other baseball teams, and I will be very surprised if the MLB season plays through to its conclusion.

The NFL will be in the same boat, since they are also allowing teams to play in their home facilities. They may have a slight advantage over MLB, with travel only once a week and far fewer games.

I'm a sports fan, but I just don't see how any of this is going to work right now. As with many industries, shutting down is going to cost people their jobs, but at least they'll have their lives.

As an NHL fan, I give them a slight edge in making it work as not only are they in a bubble but the two bubbles are in Canada.

But as much as I will enjoy watching as many of any of these games as they can put out, I'm concerned by the sheer volume of testing supplies they are using for something that is just entertainment. Here in the US where there are still people waiting 7+ days for test results, it just doesn't seem responsible.

The Cardinals just announced two players have tested positive, so here we go again. The worst case scenario for MLB is they don't even manage to play the season and several players or staff members see their careers ruined or even lose their lives. Not that completing the season would be worth it either, but you know what I mean.

I keep waiting to hear the NFL cancel the season. Between the example baseball is setting, the fact you mentioned that there are obese football players, and the NFLs crappy history of taking care of their players long term, it just seems like a tragedy waiting to happen.

At this point, the actual tests are pretty abundant...as for getting results back, that's really more of a lab thing. Places like urgent care facilities and pharmacies, etc do not have the ability to test in house, so those are sent to private labs. In New Mexico we have a number of testing places that are run by the DOH and Presbyterian hospital and those results usually come back within a day because they can do everything in house.

Sports teams have the ability to do that lab work in house, so they really aren't taking away resources from the general public.

Results should usually be available in four hours. Can't understand this 7 day business.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    What is wrong with people? Where did personal responsibility and common sense went?

Students at Indiana school back on campus after classmate sent home with positive Covid-19 test

The family of an Indiana student who learned of a positive Covid-19 test on the first day of school sent the child to classes knowing the result of the test was pending, the school superintendent said Monday.

"We obviously were a little disappointed when we received a phone call from the health department telling us one of our students had tested positive," the superintendent told CNN on Monday. "The student had tested a few days before. The family had not waited to get the results, and the student came to school."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/us/indiana-student-covid-positive-school/index.html

So this family had been exposed to the virus? I assume there was a reason for the student being tested. No one in that house should be leaving to go out anywhere!!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited August 2020
    Mike Dewine, as it turns out, tested negative (the Governor of Ohio). He took a second test and the second one was negative. The first test he took was a rapid testing machine, which has around a 90% accuracy. Just another reason for Ohioans to deny that it even exists.

The conspiracy theorists are out in larger numbers than ever. My wife was talking to a friend (also from Ohio) in TN now. Her son knows a friend of a friend that was in line for testing and left early and then got a positive test result all without ever actually doing a test. Sound familiar?? Facebook just kicked off a group of bots yesterday found to be spreading this type of false information from a radical political organization. So if anyone you know fell for this story, it's likely they have been listening to Russian trolls.

I mentioned viral loads yesterday. S Korea just released a study where those that are asymptomatic have shown they can spread viral loads that are just as strong as someone that is very sick. And as a matter of fact, they are spreading MORE viral load right before they get sick, if they ever show symptoms at all. So those walking around without masks, that are now asymptomatic, are the greatest risk to all of us. That's what makes this thing such a nightmare to control.

Happened to a friend of my wife's here in IL too. For sure there are going to be screw ups with this many tests but I personally believe this person (even though some on here may think I'm spreading conspiracy info :))
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @MikePfirrman The relative just finished up with their 103 degree fever. An abby normal amount of anger has replaced the fever. They're calling everyone up and telling them off. Bizarre behavior changes. I remember a newscaster telling everyone he was quitting his job and how much he couldn't stand it. I think it was the lingering side effects of way too much fever because they did not quit their job.

They were told that after the fever breaks that they're not really contagious. More confusion.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus#:~:text=Most people with coronavirus who,again there are documented exceptions.

Most people with coronavirus who have symptoms will no longer be contagious by 10 days after symptoms resolve. People who test positive for the virus but never develop symptoms over the following 10 days after testing are probably no longer contagious, but again there are documented exceptions. So some experts are still recommending 14 days of isolation.