Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I am in Iowa. Daughter was in Costco a week ago & still no TP. When I have done an online for pickup at grocery store, TP was one thing I did not receive. Getting about 1/2-3/4 of what we order for other stuff. But Target had a bunch of TP according to son in law, so he got some for us, lol.

Our Governor is starting to open up 77 of 99 counties on Friday because they show no or little virus activity. The rest still shut down until at least May 15. Our daily positive case numbers are about 4x higher than a week ago, but they say it is because they are testing more. I feel like it shows that there is more spread than we knew.

I've heard from Omaha (not in IA, but close) and from people in IA: Clarinda, Des Moines, and Iowa City that they have some TP available and have for the last week. Friends and family from IA and one from IN offered to mail some to me, but I think the shipping costs are not worth it, at least unless I run out of paper towels too.

Do you belong to Costco? I went to Walmart at 8:30 this morning - no TP. Last I looked there was none in Target, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, CVS, or Kroger either. But my dad said Costco has had some every time he's been. I'm still working my way through a 9 pack I luckily bought right before all this started, so I don't have to worry yet! Had to buy store brand tissues though, which I'm not thrilled about :lol:

No, but even if I was a member, I think the nearest Costco is probably Memphis. That's about a 2 hr. drive and while that would not normally be uncommon for a weekend trip, I'm trying to limit movement these days. Plus Memphis area has a lot more known cases, so is a higher risk area anyway.

And unlikely to find TP at a Memphis Costco. My husband struck out this afternoon and last. Amazon claims I’ll be getting some on Thursday, so fingers crossed.

That's brave of you (ordering TP on Amazon). I was looking at some of them, and their reviews made them all sound like scams ("the rolls were tiny" or "the cardboard center was huge, and there was only a little, very thin, TP on the rolls"). I'd be curious to know how it goes?

Meanwhile, I ordered masks from Amazon at the beginning of the month when snowflake mentioned that everyone should have one, and they're still not here. Thankfully, we've made some, and my employer sent some to my house, so we're covered.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I am in Iowa. Daughter was in Costco a week ago & still no TP. When I have done an online for pickup at grocery store, TP was one thing I did not receive. Getting about 1/2-3/4 of what we order for other stuff. But Target had a bunch of TP according to son in law, so he got some for us, lol.

Our Governor is starting to open up 77 of 99 counties on Friday because they show no or little virus activity. The rest still shut down until at least May 15. Our daily positive case numbers are about 4x higher than a week ago, but they say it is because they are testing more. I feel like it shows that there is more spread than we knew.

I've heard from Omaha (not in IA, but close) and from people in IA: Clarinda, Des Moines, and Iowa City that they have some TP available and have for the last week. Friends and family from IA and one from IN offered to mail some to me, but I think the shipping costs are not worth it, at least unless I run out of paper towels too.

Do you belong to Costco? I went to Walmart at 8:30 this morning - no TP. Last I looked there was none in Target, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, CVS, or Kroger either. But my dad said Costco has had some every time he's been. I'm still working my way through a 9 pack I luckily bought right before all this started, so I don't have to worry yet! Had to buy store brand tissues though, which I'm not thrilled about :lol:

No, but even if I was a member, I think the nearest Costco is probably Memphis. That's about a 2 hr. drive and while that would not normally be uncommon for a weekend trip, I'm trying to limit movement these days. Plus Memphis area has a lot more known cases, so is a higher risk area anyway.

And unlikely to find TP at a Memphis Costco. My husband struck out this afternoon and last. Amazon claims I’ll be getting some on Thursday, so fingers crossed.

That's brave of you (ordering TP on Amazon). I was looking at some of them, and their reviews made them all sound like scams ("the rolls were tiny" or "the cardboard center was huge, and there was only a little, very thin, TP on the rolls"). I'd be curious to know how it goes?

Meanwhile, I ordered masks from Amazon at the beginning of the month when snowflake mentioned that everyone should have one, and they're still not here. Thankfully, we've made some, and my employer sent some to my house, so we're covered.

Our masks just arrived here in Italy several days ago. Good thing too, because next week when we move out of lockdown they will be obligatory on public transportation. People without masks will be fined. Hopefully, yours will arrive soon.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »

It’s supposed to be my regular subscribe and save order, I just moved it up a month. Hoping it’ll show up and be my normal kind! I wouldn’t order what is showing as available either. Before I get that desperate I will drive a few hours to my FIL’s store (they have plenty in stock!)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I was worried about going to the grocery store this morning...the local news kept talking about meat shortages, which causes people to panic-buy...again.

I was happy to see that they were fully stocked in the meat department. I bought just a few extra things for the freezer in case it does get bad next week...I didn't want to go crazy and contribute to the problem. Usually, I buy what I need for the week, but today bought a 2-week supply.

Yeah, I know we would all survive without meat, but we're a little limited in our diet right now. My husband is trying to figure out the source of his stomach issues, so he's on a Low-FODMAP, gluten-free thing right now. No beans or pasta...boo.

As someone who only eats meat, my gut biome would take a long time to adapt to plants. My BG would suffer too. I would probably survive without meat, but would feel bad and spend a lot of time on the toilet. Speaking of which, I did what you did as the TP hoarding was starting. I only bought 2 packs of regular sized 4-packs. This was when the limit was 4 packs per customer of any size. I should have bought 4 of the biggest pack possible rather than 2 of the smallest possible. Now I am regretting being nice. I will try to avoid the same issue with food.

ETA: I found some TP online last night at an online vitamin store and hope to have it in the next week. I bought 3 big (12 roll) packs and refuse to feel bad about it. Won't celebrate until it arrives, though

Yeah, as a diabetic who relies on a low carb diet for health, I’m not enchanted with the thought of meat shortages. Most of the plant-based protein sources such as legumes really spike me. It’s nice to be able to relax and fill up on meat without having to worry about my blood sugar. At least so far no one has hinted at fish shortages, we are planning on eating a lot of salmon and tuna. And I figure the foreign markets will continue to have locally-butchered meats Americans don’t eat as much of such as lamb and goat.

We’re headed to pick up from the grocery, I wonder how much of our list we will be getting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Things are starting to go a little sideways for the mayor of Grants, NM...He has repeatedly called the governor a Nazi and the state police her Gestapo...and at the same time he's firing anyone employed by the town that won't go back to work in defiance of the governor's stay at home order, including the golf course manager who initially opened up, but was cited by the state police and afterwards refused to open the golf course...you're fired!

I can actually see being a bit rebellious here and being a mayor of a small rural town and wanting to open things up...but when you start canning people who want to be consistent with state orders, you're just creating a *kitten* storm for yourself. He's going to end up with lawsuits so far up his *kitten*, he won't know what to do. Not a particularly bright individual.

Is it a public golf course? I mean, it seems weird that every job in town is subject to firing by the mayor?

It is a city course, it's the only one in town.

Grants was once a booming little town when the uranium mines were in operation, but these days, the vast majority are employed by either the "city" or the county. There are a few little restaurants and shops and a couple hotels mostly used by truckers, but that's about it. It's been a dying town for a long time, and I'm frankly surprised it isn't a complete ghost town at this point.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I was worried about going to the grocery store this morning...the local news kept talking about meat shortages, which causes people to panic-buy...again.

I was happy to see that they were fully stocked in the meat department. I bought just a few extra things for the freezer in case it does get bad next week...I didn't want to go crazy and contribute to the problem. Usually, I buy what I need for the week, but today bought a 2-week supply.

Yeah, I know we would all survive without meat, but we're a little limited in our diet right now. My husband is trying to figure out the source of his stomach issues, so he's on a Low-FODMAP, gluten-free thing right now. No beans or pasta...boo.

As someone who only eats meat, my gut biome would take a long time to adapt to plants. My BG would suffer too. I would probably survive without meat, but would feel bad and spend a lot of time on the toilet. Speaking of which, I did what you did as the TP hoarding was starting. I only bought 2 packs of regular sized 4-packs. This was when the limit was 4 packs per customer of any size. I should have bought 4 of the biggest pack possible rather than 2 of the smallest possible. Now I am regretting being nice. I will try to avoid the same issue with food.

ETA: I found some TP online last night at an online vitamin store and hope to have it in the next week. I bought 3 big (12 roll) packs and refuse to feel bad about it. Won't celebrate until it arrives, though

Yeah, as a diabetic who relies on a low carb diet for health, I’m not enchanted with the thought of meat shortages. Most of the plant-based protein sources such as legumes really spike me. It’s nice to be able to relax and fill up on meat without having to worry about my blood sugar. At least so far no one has hinted at fish shortages, we are planning on eating a lot of salmon and tuna. And I figure the foreign markets will continue to have locally-butchered meats Americans don’t eat as much of such as lamb and goat.

We’re headed to pick up from the grocery, I wonder how much of our list we will be getting.

A lot of plant based protein (nuts and legumes) have a lot of carbs along with the protein. In addition, many of these foods are not complete proteins. Many (often vegans, but not exclusively) like to argue that you can use that protein from incomplete sources as long as you get a complete set of amino acids in sum total throughout a day or week. My observation from when I ate plants (and if I ever eat pork rinds, an incomplete protein animal source) is that the amino acids do not just hang out in my gut or blood stream waiting around. I get about 1-2 hours before gluconeogenesis occurs. This is true if the components for protein synthesis are not available. As a type 1, that means I need to manage both protein and insulin for that to occur. Those who make enough insulin, including most type 2's, only need to manage the protein side. You may still be getting BG spikes due to gluconeogenesis after a lack of conplete protein. Some of it also could be from the carbs that come in nuts and legumes.