Calorie Counter

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ythannahythannah Member Posts: 3,295 Member Member Posts: 3,295 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    My employer with several sites across the U.S. (and other countries) announced a new policy today, effective immediately. The policy is that anyone who travels for personal reasons to a "red zone" state* is not allowed to come to the facility for 14 days after returning, and that it will be unpaid. There isn't anything clear about those of us who are able to work from home if we can work and get paid without having to come into the facility. It does state that if we live in a "red zone" state, then our home is not included in the policy (we can come to work anyway).

*Red zone state in the policy is defined as a state with a 7 day positive test rate of 10% or greater, which will be updated weekly.

More recently, testing has become scarce again in some places and that means the positive test rate increases (only people who are really sick are getting tested).

I'm thinking this policy may make some managers re-consider letting those of us who can WFH do so.

Interesting but how does the company tell if someone has been to a 'red" state?

Some of us were discussing that. We have to keep it very quiet, I suppose... honor system only goes so far. But of course, many of us talk about our vacations at least some. I know the dept. manager (I work in the dept, but am unusual as I report directly to someone at corp. and not to her) has vacation scheduled next month in a red state and everyone knows where she goes on her annual vacation every year.

The trouble is that it doesn't say in the policy whether we can WFH and get paid. Many of us did that for more than 2 months earlier, so we have proven we can do it. Our corp. office is still WFH and was already planned to be that way through Sept. I'm looking into that as an option in case my race on Sept. 6 still ends up happening.

Yeah, as company HR for 25ish people I’m surprisingly well aware of everyone’s whereabouts and travel plans. When this thing hit the fan in March, I was able to personally call out everyone who had recently traveled, ban them from the office and send them to quarantine working from home. People really do talk. Of course things like this are harder in a bigger company, but there’s probably some kind of shift manager or supervisor at least who would know these things about their team.

And yeah, this WFH issue is a prime example why ”follow cues from health officials” isn’t enough when writing company policy. There’s a lot of details to be considered.

Back in March all business travel was stopped. We often send people to the provincial capital for training and conferences, no more of that. Travel outside our district was "strongly discouraged" and our pre-work screen asked us to identify if we'd left the district in the past 14 days. Now that we are in Stage 3 reopening it says "out of the country". Federal quarantine law requires 14 days of self isolation coming into the country so no one should be presenting at work within that period anyway.

Our current policy is that employees are required to notify HR of any travel plans outside our district. One supervisor told me that she had to ask permission to visit her mum and stepdad in another part of the province that has considerably more cases than our area. I'm not sure if it was granted or not.
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 1,229 Member Member Posts: 1,229 Member
    Found a new virus shortage. Went to the car wash normally they have spray bottles of bug remover, general cleaner etc to use after you wash. Sign said temporarily not available due to national shortage of spray bottles. It did say they would fill with products if you brought your own bottles.
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Member Posts: 7,938 Member Member Posts: 7,938 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    So update on schools here...

Another one of the schools that reopened already has 2 confirmed positive tests on teachers. Teachers who have has contact with other teachers, admins, and students.

This is just gonna go bad.

https://thedailybeast.com/a-summer-camp-took-almost-every-precaution-the-majority-of-kids-still-got-covid-19

Very bad per stories out of other places.
    edited August 1
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Member Posts: 7,938 Member Member Posts: 7,938 Member
    I am so frustrated with people.

My husband and I tried to go on an early walk this morning on a local trail.

The trail was PACKED with large groups of runners...all geared up in their marathon shirts, running in tightly packed groups of 10-12 people. A few wearing masks, but most not. All were talking loudly, laughing, obviously breathing heavily, right in each other's faces. There were people of all ages...some definitely old enough to be in a high-risk category.

After encountering about 6-7 of these groups, we abandoned our walk, doubled back and went home. We had our masks on, but the trail is narrow, without much room to move out of their way. The runners were also unwilling to interrupt their conversations and pass us single file so we could have more room.

There were a few other people we saw walking...an elderly couple decided to abandon the trail at the same time we did. The older gentleman said to his wife "This is not worth it."

All of the cancelled official races have led to people doing "virtual" marathons, which is obviously what that was this morning. What is the point of cancelling the race if people are just going to get together in big groups anyways?

This is why this virus is not going away.

I agree this virus is not going away shortly. Events that goes against COVID suggestions and mandates risk lawsuits where the unsanctioned events are just people being people.
    edited August 1
  • ReenieHJReenieHJ Member Posts: 2,190 Member Member Posts: 2,190 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    So update on schools here...

Another one of the schools that reopened already has 2 confirmed positive tests on teachers. Teachers who have has contact with other teachers, admins, and students.

This is just gonna go bad.

Very bad per stories out of other places.

I really wish they'd not reopen schools until, at the very least, the 2nd half of the school year. Yes, it'll be tough but maybe, just maybe, things will be a little better by then. With everyone travelling now, and seeing as how we're already hearing of it spreading with the earlier opening schools, you'd think they'd wait. :( They may not have a choice when too many of the teachers and staff start getting it. :(

Stay healthy everyone, please!!!

This thing is just getting too large to wrap one's head around.

Sadly there are more than a few parents that want the kids out of the house at any cost.

Both these statements are so true. And scary as well.
  • mockchocmockchoc Member Posts: 6,407 Member Member Posts: 6,407 Member
    Never mind.
    edited August 1
    Morning all.. :) Well, crap hit the fan in Victoria and I fear Sydney is on its way. Australia was doing so well, a month ago I could almost see things getting back to normalish. Businesses were opening back up, restrictions lifting then "boom" cases have spiralled out of control in Victoria, borders were tightened but too late.
    Hot spots all over Sydney now. 😒
    I shake my head at the unbelievable selfishness of people, these 3 ladies couldn't have cared less about anyone but themselves.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-30/coronavirus-queensland-three-women-charged/12508498

Stay safe and well everyone ..

And they were thieves Jo. Not sure about the ladies part still.
  • debtay123debtay123 Member Posts: 1,260 Member Member Posts: 1,260 Member
    GaleHawkins-Oh No- and can't they see how we in the USA are sick and dying-- the Germans nor any other country -they do not need to "follow" us esp. in rebelling at health officials trying to keep us safe- no sir- not at all!!!!

https://apnews.com/ef70c1af702b89c23e71fcd843e63293--your link
    edited August 1
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Member Posts: 247,036 Member Member Posts: 247,036 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Morning all.. :) Well, crap hit the fan in Victoria and I fear Sydney is on its way. Australia was doing so well, a month ago I could almost see things getting back to normalish. Businesses were opening back up, restrictions lifting then "boom" cases have spiralled out of control in Victoria, borders were tightened but too late.
    I shake my head at the unbelievable selfishness of people, these 3 ladies couldn't have cared less about anyone but themselves.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-30/coronavirus-queensland-three-women-charged/12508498

Yes, I did read somewhere that part of the reason for their deception was a shoplifting spree.
    ythannah wrote: »

Looking at that map, they could have infected hundreds traipsing around, including a medical facility.

Sorry to hear things have gone badly in Australia. :( Some parts of Canada have seen increases but my little corner of Nowhere is still doing pretty well. I've never been so grateful to live in a remote sparsely populated place.

Yes, they have done a great deal of damage and for a while one of them would not even say where she'd been.

I too am lucky to be in a fairly remote area in a small town. We had 2 cases very early on but none for months now. I'm praying it stays that way.

Yes, I did read somewhere that part of the reason for their deception was a shoplifting spree.

Looking at that map, they could have infected hundreds traipsing around, including a medical facility.

Sorry to hear things have gone badly in Australia. :( Some parts of Canada have seen increases but my little corner of Nowhere is still doing pretty well. I've never been so grateful to live in a remote sparsely populated place.

Yes, they have done a great deal of damage and for a while one of them would not even say where she'd been.

I too am lucky to be in a fairly remote area in a small town. We had 2 cases very early on but none for months now. I'm praying it stays that way.

I love where you are. We've camped near there all our lives when young and hubby's family is from not far away too. Stay safe beautiful.
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 6,032 Member Member Posts: 6,032 Member
    Yes I am sorry to read of situation in Victoria - and NSW sounds on same projectory.
    Hopefully nipped in bud better there

Safe states like SA and WA need to keep tight borders and careful control of any exempted entrants.

Things are almost normal here in SA and obviously we want to keep it that way.
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Member Posts: 247,036 Member Member Posts: 247,036 Member

I love where you are. We've camped near there all our lives when young and hubby's family is from not far away too. Stay safe beautiful.

Thank you Sue, you too 🙂
    Yes I am sorry to read of situation in Victoria - and NSW sounds on same projectory.

Safe states like SA and WA need to keep tight borders and careful control of any exempted entrants.

I hope you stay safe and the tight border restrictions save you from ending where we are right now. I think our borders with Victoria should have been much tighter , earlier than it was.. I just knew it wouldn't go well. 😔
    I feel New South Wales is on the edge of a precipice and we are about to fall.

So do I so you are welcome to have the men kicking balls instead of us lol. Ok joking now but jez they can stay home. Make their millions down south somewhere.