Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Disagree all you like but doesn't change my thoughts. Tell me why you disagree. I'd love to hear it.

Generalizations/stereotypes are almost always incorrect/inaccurate for a group (ballplayers in the case mentioned).

Ok you might be right old fella. Still I tend to think many of them think they are better than everyone and do what they like. Not all but that is what I've seen before here.

I have to think that some of them -- the ones that have chosen to sit out the season -- know that you are right about some of their teammates. The ones sitting it out know that they can't trust all of their teammates to follow sensible social distancing practices -- well, they probably have a pretty good idea of exactly which of their teammates they can't trust, and they've also been around enough pro ballplayers to be able to assess the odds of every other team having at least one guy who can't be trusted to follow sensible social distances practices.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    edited August 2020
    Disagree all you like but doesn't change my thoughts. Tell me why you disagree. I'd love to hear it.

I disagreed because I think making sweeping blanket statements about people because they are professional sports men (or any occupation) is not something I agree with.

Many AFL footballers (and other codes I'm sure but I follow AFL) spend quite a bit of their time on things like charities, community promotions etc and because they are in the public limelight they are held to a higher standard than general public.

Like general public though, they are a mix of people - some more concientious than others and some silly rule breakers.

Yes you are right I'm sure but I still don't want teams moving up here for games right now thank you very much. Do it some where else. Invite them to your town maybe? Sorry but I should add our mayor or whatever she is is trying to do this and I don't agree at all.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member

I disagreed because I think making sweeping blanket statements about people because they are professional sports men (or any occupation) is not something I agree with.

Many AFL footballers (and other codes I'm sure but I follow AFL) spend quite a bit of their time on things like charities, community promotions etc and because they are in the public limelight they are held to a higher standard than general public.

Like general public though, they are a mix of people - some more concientious than others and some silly rule breakers.

Yes you are right I'm sure but I still don't want teams moving up here for games right now thank you very much. Do it some where else. Invite them to your town maybe? Sorry but I should add our mayor or whatever she is is trying to do this and I don't agree at all.

Well I imagine my regional town would jump at the chance of an AFL match, although highly unlikely we would get one other than in pre season community games - and certainly many people have pushed for a bubble in Adelaide and some games are being played there already.

I dont have any issue with you thinking sports games are too much of a risk though or of not wanting them where you live.

I don't disagree with that

I disagreed with the sweeping blanket statement about all proffesional footballers.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I see masses of Germans are leading by the USA and other examples. I am taken back by leaders without an understanding of human behavior that drove this reaction and now are surprised by human nature.

https://apnews.com/ef70c1af702b89c23e71fcd843e63293
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    My employer with several sites across the U.S. (and other countries) announced a new policy today, effective immediately. The policy is that anyone who travels for personal reasons to a "red zone" state* is not allowed to come to the facility for 14 days after returning, and that it will be unpaid. There isn't anything clear about those of us who are able to work from home if we can work and get paid without having to come into the facility. It does state that if we live in a "red zone" state, then our home is not included in the policy (we can come to work anyway).

*Red zone state in the policy is defined as a state with a 7 day positive test rate of 10% or greater, which will be updated weekly.

More recently, testing has become scarce again in some places and that means the positive test rate increases (only people who are really sick are getting tested).

I'm thinking this policy may make some managers re-consider letting those of us who can WFH do so.

Interesting but how does the company tell if someone has been to a 'red" state?

Some of us were discussing that. We have to keep it very quiet, I suppose... honor system only goes so far. But of course, many of us talk about our vacations at least some. I know the dept. manager (I work in the dept, but am unusual as I report directly to someone at corp. and not to her) has vacation scheduled next month in a red state and everyone knows where she goes on her annual vacation every year.

The trouble is that it doesn't say in the policy whether we can WFH and get paid. Many of us did that for more than 2 months earlier, so we have proven we can do it. Our corp. office is still WFH and was already planned to be that way through Sept. I'm looking into that as an option in case my race on Sept. 6 still ends up happening.

Yeah, as company HR for 25ish people I’m surprisingly well aware of everyone’s whereabouts and travel plans. When this thing hit the fan in March, I was able to personally call out everyone who had recently traveled, ban them from the office and send them to quarantine working from home. People really do talk. Of course things like this are harder in a bigger company, but there’s probably some kind of shift manager or supervisor at least who would know these things about their team.

And yeah, this WFH issue is a prime example why ”follow cues from health officials” isn’t enough when writing company policy. There’s a lot of details to be considered.

Just a good reason to keep some aspects of one's personal life out of the workplace IMO. Anything you say can and will be used against you lol.

Yep, agreed. I pro-actively blocked everyone I work with on Facebook. But I do talk about races at work, but not all the weekend trips I do when not racing.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    So update on schools here...

Another one of the schools that reopened already has 2 confirmed positive tests on teachers. Teachers who have has contact with other teachers, admins, and students.

This is just gonna go bad.

We haven't started yet but I fully expect our experience to be 100% the same here.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    My employer with several sites across the U.S. (and other countries) announced a new policy today, effective immediately. The policy is that anyone who travels for personal reasons to a "red zone" state* is not allowed to come to the facility for 14 days after returning, and that it will be unpaid. There isn't anything clear about those of us who are able to work from home if we can work and get paid without having to come into the facility. It does state that if we live in a "red zone" state, then our home is not included in the policy (we can come to work anyway).

*Red zone state in the policy is defined as a state with a 7 day positive test rate of 10% or greater, which will be updated weekly.

More recently, testing has become scarce again in some places and that means the positive test rate increases (only people who are really sick are getting tested).

I'm thinking this policy may make some managers re-consider letting those of us who can WFH do so.

Interesting but how does the company tell if someone has been to a 'red" state?

Some of us were discussing that. We have to keep it very quiet, I suppose... honor system only goes so far. But of course, many of us talk about our vacations at least some. I know the dept. manager (I work in the dept, but am unusual as I report directly to someone at corp. and not to her) has vacation scheduled next month in a red state and everyone knows where she goes on her annual vacation every year.

The trouble is that it doesn't say in the policy whether we can WFH and get paid. Many of us did that for more than 2 months earlier, so we have proven we can do it. Our corp. office is still WFH and was already planned to be that way through Sept. I'm looking into that as an option in case my race on Sept. 6 still ends up happening.

Yeah, as company HR for 25ish people I’m surprisingly well aware of everyone’s whereabouts and travel plans. When this thing hit the fan in March, I was able to personally call out everyone who had recently traveled, ban them from the office and send them to quarantine working from home. People really do talk. Of course things like this are harder in a bigger company, but there’s probably some kind of shift manager or supervisor at least who would know these things about their team.

And yeah, this WFH issue is a prime example why ”follow cues from health officials” isn’t enough when writing company policy. There’s a lot of details to be considered.

Back in March all business travel was stopped. We often send people to the provincial capital for training and conferences, no more of that. Travel outside our district was "strongly discouraged" and our pre-work screen asked us to identify if we'd left the district in the past 14 days. Now that we are in Stage 3 reopening it says "out of the country". Federal quarantine law requires 14 days of self isolation coming into the country so no one should be presenting at work within that period anyway.

Our current policy is that employees are required to notify HR of any travel plans outside our district. One supervisor told me that she had to ask permission to visit her mum and stepdad in another part of the province that has considerably more cases than our area. I'm not sure if it was granted or not.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Found a new virus shortage. Went to the car wash normally they have spray bottles of bug remover, general cleaner etc to use after you wash. Sign said temporarily not available due to national shortage of spray bottles. It did say they would fill with products if you brought your own bottles.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2020
    Athijade wrote: »
    So update on schools here...

Another one of the schools that reopened already has 2 confirmed positive tests on teachers. Teachers who have has contact with other teachers, admins, and students.

This is just gonna go bad.

https://thedailybeast.com/a-summer-camp-took-almost-every-precaution-the-majority-of-kids-still-got-covid-19

Very bad per stories out of other places.