Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I was worried about going to the grocery store this morning...the local news kept talking about meat shortages, which causes people to panic-buy...again.

I was happy to see that they were fully stocked in the meat department. I bought just a few extra things for the freezer in case it does get bad next week...I didn't want to go crazy and contribute to the problem. Usually, I buy what I need for the week, but today bought a 2-week supply.

Yeah, I know we would all survive without meat, but we're a little limited in our diet right now. My husband is trying to figure out the source of his stomach issues, so he's on a Low-FODMAP, gluten-free thing right now. No beans or pasta...boo.

As someone who only eats meat, my gut biome would take a long time to adapt to plants. My BG would suffer too. I would probably survive without meat, but would feel bad and spend a lot of time on the toilet. Speaking of which, I did what you did as the TP hoarding was starting. I only bought 2 packs of regular sized 4-packs. This was when the limit was 4 packs per customer of any size. I should have bought 4 of the biggest pack possible rather than 2 of the smallest possible. Now I am regretting being nice. I will try to avoid the same issue with food.

ETA: I found some TP online last night at an online vitamin store and hope to have it in the next week. I bought 3 big (12 roll) packs and refuse to feel bad about it. Won't celebrate until it arrives, though

Yeah, as a diabetic who relies on a low carb diet for health, I’m not enchanted with the thought of meat shortages. Most of the plant-based protein sources such as legumes really spike me. It’s nice to be able to relax and fill up on meat without having to worry about my blood sugar. At least so far no one has hinted at fish shortages, we are planning on eating a lot of salmon and tuna. And I figure the foreign markets will continue to have locally-butchered meats Americans don’t eat as much of such as lamb and goat.

We’re headed to pick up from the grocery, I wonder how much of our list we will be getting.

A lot of plant based protein (nuts and legumes) have a lot of carbs along with the protein. In addition, many of these foods are not complete proteins. Many (often vegans, but not exclusively) like to argue that you can use that protein from incomplete sources as long as you get a complete set of amino acids in sum total throughout a day or week. My observation from when I ate plants (and if I ever eat pork rinds, an incomplete protein animal source) is that the amino acids do not just hang out in my gut or blood stream waiting around. I get about 1-2 hours before gluconeogenesis occurs. This is true if the components for protein synthesis are not available. As a type 1, that means I need to manage both protein and insulin for that to occur. Those who make enough insulin, including most type 2's, only need to manage the protein side. You may still be getting BG spikes due to gluconeogenesis after a lack of conplete protein. Some of it also could be from the carbs that come in nuts and legumes.

For the past 5 years I have been keeping a few months supply of tuna in olive oil since I hate shopping because in the 4 pack it is often gone before I get there even in normal times. Since I am in town 10 times a week typically I eat two 1/4 pound patties for fresh ground beef from McDonald's often but I will not be surprised if their suppliers stop bringing it to the stores. In fact they have already cut many items from the menu and a lot of staff have left so I am training new ones that they do have an A la carte menu. If the fresh beef goes away I will drop back to the 1/6 frozen patties. I find I have to say "1 slash 4" instead of saying quart pounder patties so they can find it on the menu screen. :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    It's interesting hearing about different product shortages. The main store I go to is completely out of TP, paper towels, and napkins, I have yet to see them since this started. Two weeks ago at least half the people weren't wearing masks or social distancing. I usually get a lot of bulk items and things like beans aren't there and other stuff like bulk candies are portioned in 1lb bags. Most bagged beans and soup are gone. Weirdly they're completely out of garlic and the cashier said they can't keep it in stock.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    It's interesting hearing about different product shortages. The main store I go to is completely out of TP, paper towels, and napkins, I have yet to see them since this started. Two weeks ago at least half the people weren't wearing masks or social distancing. I usually get a lot of bulk items and things like beans aren't there and other stuff like bulk candies are portioned in 1lb bags. Most bagged beans and soup are gone. Weirdly they're completely out of garlic and the cashier said they can't keep it in stock.

A lot of 'herbalists' tout garlic as an immune-booster. I think there may actually be some research to back that up - I *think* I remember an article about research finding that chicken noodle soup actually works as a medicine, and I think garlic may have figured in there somehow.

ETA: Found the article, but no mention of garlic: https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/chicken-noodle-soup-really-can-help-when-youre-sick

But here is an article about garlic helping to fight cold and flu: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/garlic-fights-colds-and-flu
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »

A lot of 'herbalists' tout garlic as an immune-booster. I think there may actually be some research to back that up - I *think* I remember an article about research finding that chicken noodle soup actually works as a medicine, and I think garlic may have figured in there somehow.

ETA: Found the article, but no mention of garlic: https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/chicken-noodle-soup-really-can-help-when-youre-sick

But here is an article about garlic helping to fight cold and flu: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/garlic-fights-colds-and-flu

Garlic can also thin the blood, which is an important consideration for some people. Several good things about it here:

https://examine.com/supplements/garlic/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    I finally found some TP online last night and it is on the way. Then today, the store magically has it again for the first time in about 6 weeks.. That is how it works, I suppose.

OMG I HOPE YOU PICKED SOME UP AT THAT STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Things are looking promising here. It has been a few days since the last new case. 2-4 cases daily, all are either children who are already at the hospital with their sick parents or import drivers who test positive at the border before entering the country (but mostly drivers).

Most things are open now under strict sanitation and distancing rules (even non-essentials). There aren't any plans to open gathering places yet (churches, mosques, wedding venues, clubs...etc). Restaurants are all open for delivery and pickup. Almost half the provinces are almost back to life as usual and can drive freely. The rest can drive but with restrictions. Cars with an even plate number drive one day, and cars with an odd number drive the next. No more than 2 people in one car. Public transport is now also open at 30% capacity.

People are...well... people.
    They're not distancing as much as they should be. It's Ramadan and they're flooding to buy food without any regard for safety. Some places are better organized than others - we've been buying and freezing bread once every 10 or so days to avoid crowds at bread bakeries and buying our vegetables at the grocery store (more expensive) because produce stores are less organized. I used to get upset at people, but I feel less upset now, probably because it's looking good right now. I have resigned to "people are people, and will keep doing what people do"

This is what concerns me. I think we could reasonably safely open up a lot of businesses, if people were just capable of continuing to obey social distancing advisories. They had a piece on "60 Minutes" yesterday of an automobile plant that has retooled to produce ventilators, and they have erected plastic barriers between work stations, everyone was wearing masks, and they had smart watches that buzzed if they got within six feet of another smart watch (also storing data on what watches they were near, for future contact tracing if necessary). And the company is doing all that because people are people, and if you don't have systems in place to stop them, they're going to go back to their old ways of swapping germs and not washing their hands.

They are adding a mask requirement for indoor shopping and places where you can't maintain 6 ft of separation, but opening up some of the closed outdoor areas and then adding as new essential businesses "greenhouses, garden centers and nurseries" (many of which were already doing business through curbside and delivery, and Home Depot was open). "These stores must follow social distancing requirements and must require that employees and customers wear a face covering."

"Animal grooming services may also re-open," and "[r]etail stores not designated as non-essential businesses and operations may re-open to fulfill telephone and online orders through pick-up outside the store and delivery."

This seems reasonable to me. However, a politician downstate sued to prevent the order from applying to him, so clearly others disagree. I don't think a majority, and I get the impression the police here are enforcing the orders and concerned for their own safety in that they are on the front lines of having to deal with people who may have the virus and are not compliant. (Mostly enforcement is ticketing and breaking things up.)

To clarify, I have concerns far short of intentional violations of restrictions.

I think there's a difference between effective social distancing and nominal, perfunctory compliance with the bare letter of restrictions. I don't have a lot of faith that folks wearing homemade cloth masks and bandanas (not their fault -- that's what's available), touching their faces right over their mouths and noses about every 20 seconds (based on my observations of folks in essential businesses and out walking -- I've even seen this in interviews with medical personnel on local news), mistaking three feet for six feet, not comprehending that talking when you're standing that close to someone presents increased risk, just as sneezing or coughing does .... I don't have a lot of faith with that as our baseline, that lifting restrictions with rules about social distancing will lead to effective social distancing.

Not sure why this is the response to my post, but I will say that I don't think people are mistaking 6 ft for 3, and most of the time in my neighborhood I see 6 ft of distancing, and it's easy outside.

Masks are a mixed bag, of course.

I really don't see a big deal with opening up curbside pickup and most outdoor spaces.

The issue with violations of social distancing aren't people mistaking 6 ft for 3 ft, but people who, for whatever reason, don't care at all, like a crazy huge house party that was shut down here or people trying to make points for social media. I don't get it, but it's happening.

I had posted expressing doubts about people's ability to comply with social distancing constraints that government officials at all levels keep emphasizing should be followed even as businesses reopen. You responded to my post with one about (1) what the rules are in your area and (2) people who are actively opposing the rules. I wanted to clarify that I wasn't talking about either of those things -- I don't think the biggest problem is what the specific rules are or people who are actively opposing the rules but the large majority of people who will things think rules are a good idea, but just not for them right now in this particular situation. Or that situation. "Yes, of course we need to keep safe, but it's not going to be a problem if I just go over to a friend's house for a few drinks with them and one other person from one other household ... It's been a tough time being apart from everybody for so long. Just one evening isn't a big deal."

In effect, my whole last post was my explanation of why I wasn't sure what your response had to do with my post, or to clarify what I meant if my earlier post was being misunderstood as being about people actively protesting against rules.

Okay. I misunderstood your prior post.

Mine was intended to say that the rules had been loosened as you suggested could work and that I thought it was going to, as I see most following the rules -- certainly most who care at all.

I do disagree with the notion that people cannot comply with social distancing.

Ah, thanks. I had not followed the line of thinking you describe in the second paragraph.

Written communication is hard sometimes. I've started making colleagues call me because it can be so exhausting to try to explain even mildly complicated or fiddly things in emails or texts.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I haven't seen toilet paper in a store in six weeks. Last time I was in a grocery store they had small packages of flushable wipes, limit two per household, so I bought one. Haven't had to use it yet, though. Not sure I trust it to be flushable and not damage my plumbing.

Do NOT flush those...they will definitely damage your plumbing. I'm not sure how they get away with calling them flushable. My nephew is a plumber, and he says 90% of his calls are people who tried to flush those things. They don't break down like toilet paper does.

A gross as it may be, you'll need to keep a plastic bag handy and just throw out the used wipes with the trash.

Thanks. If I reach the point of needing to use any substitute for TP, I will do that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Things are starting to go a little sideways for the mayor of Grants, NM...He has repeatedly called the governor a Nazi and the state police her Gestapo...and at the same time he's firing anyone employed by the town that won't go back to work in defiance of the governor's stay at home order, including the golf course manager who initially opened up, but was cited by the state police and afterwards refused to open the golf course...you're fired!

I can actually see being a bit rebellious here and being a mayor of a small rural town and wanting to open things up...but when you start canning people who want to be consistent with state orders, you're just creating a *kitten* storm for yourself. He's going to end up with lawsuits so far up his *kitten*, he won't know what to do. Not a particularly bright individual.

Is it a public golf course? I mean, it seems weird that every job in town is subject to firing by the mayor?

It is a city course, it's the only one in town.

Grants was once a booming little town when the uranium mines were in operation, but these days, the vast majority are employed by either the "city" or the county. There are a few little restaurants and shops and a couple hotels mostly used by truckers, but that's about it. It's been a dying town for a long time, and I'm frankly surprised it isn't a complete ghost town at this point.

Ah. Sounds like a scary place to be with someone in charge trying to force everyone to risk exposure. I guess he can't force people to go and play golf, etc.