Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    There are multiple thousands of animals being processed at each of these plants, daily, during normal times. There are laws regarding butchering of livestock. Euthanasing is the only choice when these processing plants are unable to process them. There is a liability potential for individuals slaughtering/butchering their own animals for resale, besides for sheer numbers necessary, impractical and not even close to solving the issue. Disposal of butchered carcasses could impact local environment.

Like I said in my earlier post, local meat markets, that do butcher, are two months out on processing individual animals.

Farmers/ ranchers of livestock have no choice. Their animals are ready for market. That’s why the president made it mandatory for processing plants to stay open.

Definitely a waste, and very sad, but this virus has created a lot of waste, in a lot of industries, and particularly, human lives.

Stay safe everyone ❤️

Thanks for taking the time to explain the problems in meat supply chain.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves spending more a lot money now? And it's not really buying as in stocking up or hoarding; maybe it's buying the different items I wouldn't normally buy, at normal versus on sale prices. IDK. Example: bought a dozen eggs yesterday but had to pay 3.59 instead of 1.69. Bread is $4-5 instead of buying at the "bread store outlet" for 1.39 each. I usually wait for meat sales, buying chicken breasts for 2.49 # but now it's 4.49 #. Course, the extra ice cream/cookie purchases aren't helping anything. :/

No, but I wasn't a bargain shopper before and never managed to buy stuff on sale. If anything buying on line makes sale shopping easier and not eating at restaurants saves money. Buying from a farm as I am is more expensive, but I did that already by buying at the green market and having a CSA. My eggs are the same because I bought farmers market eggs before, and I bought meat and veg (when in season) from a farm or my local meat market. I've never really bargain shopped with food.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves spending more a lot money now? And it's not really buying as in stocking up or hoarding; maybe it's buying the different items I wouldn't normally buy, at normal versus on sale prices. IDK. Example: bought a dozen eggs yesterday but had to pay 3.59 instead of 1.69. Bread is $4-5 instead of buying at the "bread store outlet" for 1.39 each. I usually wait for meat sales, buying chicken breasts for 2.49 # but now it's 4.49 #. Course, the extra ice cream/cookie purchases aren't helping anything. :/

I’m spending more too, buying canned foods to have on hand, that I normally wouldn’t buy. Also, I’ve noticed prices going up, weekly on things I normally buy. Dairy products have been plentiful all along here, but that’s the only thing that the price hasn’t gone up on.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

With the lock down being effectively over in the USA where law enforcement are not authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns . . .

Dude, what on earth?

I noted I was only speaking about USA laws. The news article explains how states are removing more and more restraints on people. This will help prevent social unrest even if medically if it is a step backwards. No one knows what to do in these times.

Even with the restrictions, nobody was authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns. This is the kind of rhetoric that is incredibly unhelpful. I don't even know how you got there. It's like some kind of fever dream fantasy.

Have you been reading about the mental health issues related to COVID-19? I just see an undercurrent that is dangerous for the safety of law officers. Some are losing everything and we know alcohol sales are up and gun sales are up. Did you read Cwolfmann's link over the number of COVID-19 deaths?

Law officers are starting to stand down over governors orders because they understand the time/risk factor on unproven restrictions is increasing. I think everyone posting here wants to do what is best and understand they are going to get COVID-19 sooner or later but want it to be much later.

We know with the schools closed it is causing some kids harm because they may not have a safe environment and food like when the schools were open. The schools will not be opening in 4 months from now if we do not get more COVID-19 cases behind us. Sweden may be proven wrong yet time will tell.

https://aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/sweden-avoids-full-lockdown-pm-insists-restrictions-continue-200420173945004.html

According to some metrics, like alcohol sales, it is totally possible that people are drinking more. I still don't understand how you get to law enforcement being authorized to "mow down unarmed citizens."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read Gale to be sad police were not authorized to use machine guns to mow down unarmed citizens. I hope he corrects me if I am wrong.

Alcohol sales are up across the board in the US. Gun sales are up in Kentucky, which might be affecting Gale's POV. Crime is up here, so I somewhat get it, although shooting a cop (or anyone) is still not in my imagination, so I don't get that.

Alcohol sales are prohibited here as part of the curfew regulations - so there's less drinking. The curfew is keeping large numbers of people indoors - so crime is down.

Apparently here the stay at home rules keeping more people at home (especially at night) means the gangs are more able to see each other and shoot at each other in some neighborhoods. Kittens.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/04/17/drug-fueled-gang-feud-sparking-violence-on-streets-emptied-by-coronavirus/

"Despite the pandemic, gangs in Irving Park and Albany Park are still feuding and even taking advantage of the empty streets to find their rivals more easily, the area’s police commander said Thursday afternoon.

The recent uptick in shootings in the area is tied to drug sales and the gang feud, Albany Park (17th) District Police Cmdr. Ronald A. Pontecore Jr. said during an online community police meeting.

The ongoing conflict also includes the February shootings that left a firefighter wounded in Albany Park and a woman shot dead in Irving Park.

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it. We have a violence issue and it’s revolving around narcotics sales,” Pontecore said on the video conference call.

For the most part, neighborhood residents are adhering to the stay at home order and the new social distancing rules in place to slow the spread of the coronavirus, he said.

“But some of the people who aren’t are gang members,” the police commander said. “Right now we’re getting a lot of shots fired calls because with the streets clear it’s easier for gang members to spot each other when they’re out.”

What I don't understand about this is if they know the neighborhoods at risk, why don't they just block the streets in the area off at night with checkpoints? They do this in Rome during the day to make sure nobody is just driving around without a reason. Once there are police all over, these guys don't go out.
  • snowflake954
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    "Remember that scientists spend years researching viruses and diseases. We are dealing with a virus that has only been known for a few months right now. While a number of researchers are sharing their findings openly, science at this preliminary stage can often be confusing, contradictory and messy: we may think we know something about this virus one day, only to see that finding contradicted by other evidence the following day.

This is where we’re at right now. Few things are known for sure, except that basic methods of social distancing and cleanliness are currently our best weapons to slow the acceleration of this historic pandemic."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/03/23/a-hot-bath-wont-protect-against-coronavirus-and-other-myths-busted-by-the-who/#20847dfd7194

Wash our hands and just enjoy our showers. Extremes beget more extremes.
    "Just stick to soap and water. It really does fight the virus as well as anything else."

From the science coverage I'm seeing (though I don't have a specific cite), it also seems to be the case that we're collectively overlapping (parallelizing) things that in less urgent circumstances would be serialized, and that adds to some popular perception that the experts don't know what they're doing.

Specifically, an example is that some scientists are investigating whether infection produces immunity, and if so, to what extent (power) and for what length of time (duration). Simultaneously, other scientists are working on developing and testing vaccines (aided by amazingly brave and generous volunteers, as human trials start****).

One resulting popular perception is "Why are they going to make me get a vaccine when we don't even know whether immunity is possible?" 🙄

If this were some much less fatal/damaging, much less contagious disease, those two lines of scientific endeavor would be more likely to be:

1. Invisible to the general public, and
    2. Done in more serial fashion, i.e., figure out immunity characteristics before trying to develop a vaccine.

Overlap those, and have all media everywhere** cover the whole thing, and the end result is a bunch of suspicious people thinking "Oh My Goosies, it's a gol-dang conspiracy by Big Pharma and the Deep State, Marge!". (<= mild exaggeration. ;) ).

** Extra eye roll: Some of those reporters have pre-kindergarten science literacy themselves, and are willing to interview any fringe idiot with letters after their name who's willing to provide a click-bait quote. SMH. Thank heaven those things aren't true of all of them.

**** Common thing not commonly known: The stages of drug trials. When non-human preliminaries are out of the way, small-scale testing on humans starts before there's sound evidence the drug even works. There are tests for things like bioavailability, and then for safety . . . in most cases, on healthy volunteers. Those brave people are who I'm talking about. They have no real expectation of benefit; they have only theoretical expectation of safety. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phases_of_clinical_research

Just wanted to add that Italy got a jump on the vaccine because we had cases right after China. In the beginning of the epidemic we had Chinese tourists that came down with the virus in a hotel. They were quickly whisked off to a hospital that specialized in infectious diseases. The virus was isolated in their lab. I told my husband at the time "They're going to be so happy, they can start on a vaccine". There is a worldwide race and whoever wins will win the lottery. Everyone who has not had it worldwide will need to be vaccinated. The Italians are working with Oxford on the vaccine and it is ready for trial. One of the Italian researchers interviewed said she has volunteered to try it. There will be more than one trial. This is not my field, but will try to report on what we hear on this end from the media.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »

Thanks. It sounds like getting more healthy and stocking up this summer may be very important.

" CDC director Robert Redfield told the Washington Post, “There’s a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through.” "
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited May 2020
    What I saw In Oklahoma today—
    Lots more traffic than there has been for the last month. LOTS More.
    Gyms are allowed to open. 1 of the 3 I drove past today is open.
    Restaurants are allowed to open. Drive-thrus were full, Sonic was full. Most restaurant parking lots were empty.
    Movie theaters are allowed to open. Ours is closed.
    Tattoo parlors are allowed to open. The 2 I passed were closed, but it’s still early for tattoo parlors.
    Beauty shops were allowed to open last week. 1 of the 5 I noticed today was open. It was closed Wednesday.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    NM lifting some restrictions today. Golf courses are allowed to open, non emergency medical services may resume, including voluntary surgery, state parks open for day use, and non essential retailers can provide curbside service.

Most restrictions are in place until May 15 when we will start a phase 1 re-open. She will announce next Tuesday what phase 1 will likely look like. From what I understand from talking to people more in the know, it sounds like non essential retail will be able to begin in store operations at limited capacity, restaurants may open up to dine in at 20% of capacity, and gyms may open at 20% of capacity. We'll see if all of that is true, but that's the rumor.

Ironically, the governor just announced an actual lockdown of the city of Gallup in McKinley county at the request of the mayor. The area has not really adhered to social distancing or stay at home measures and now makes up about 30% of New Mexico cases and they and San Juan County are the only counties that are seeing new case numbers and hospitalizations increase substantially on a daily basis. Most counties are seeing their new case numbers and hospitalizations decline. All roads in and out of Gallup will be barricaded by the National Guard, vehicles with more than two people will be cited by police, stores be further restricted in regards to hours of operation, and a curfew has been put into place.

Oh, wow. That mayor was pro-active. So was your governor. I hope people everywhere in the U.S. take note.

My surrounding town/zip code has had 73 positive results, 7 have died. 33,000 population, but dense population - it's a bedroom community to Seattle and really just a continuation of the metro area in general. People have been locked down for six weeks, but still it's hard to believe if you look out my window at the bike trail, river, walking trail. No one wears masks anywhere except inside stores.

We have flattened the curve in the Seattle area, (6300 cases in the county, 446 deaths, population 2.25 million) but new cases are staying about the same daily. We are at the magical 1-1 infection rate, but we are going to be locked down for another month, I think.

National Guard is sounding better and better - and more likely.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

With the lock down being effectively over in the USA where law enforcement are not authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns . . .

Dude, what on earth?

I noted I was only speaking about USA laws. The news article explains how states are removing more and more restraints on people. This will help prevent social unrest even if medically if it is a step backwards. No one knows what to do in these times.

Even with the restrictions, nobody was authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns. This is the kind of rhetoric that is incredibly unhelpful. I don't even know how you got there. It's like some kind of fever dream fantasy.

Have you been reading about the mental health issues related to COVID-19? I just see an undercurrent that is dangerous for the safety of law officers. Some are losing everything and we know alcohol sales are up and gun sales are up. Did you read Cwolfmann's link over the number of COVID-19 deaths?

Law officers are starting to stand down over governors orders because they understand the time/risk factor on unproven restrictions is increasing. I think everyone posting here wants to do what is best and understand they are going to get COVID-19 sooner or later but want it to be much later.

We know with the schools closed it is causing some kids harm because they may not have a safe environment and food like when the schools were open. The schools will not be opening in 4 months from now if we do not get more COVID-19 cases behind us. Sweden may be proven wrong yet time will tell.

https://aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/sweden-avoids-full-lockdown-pm-insists-restrictions-continue-200420173945004.html

According to some metrics, like alcohol sales, it is totally possible that people are drinking more. I still don't understand how you get to law enforcement being authorized to "mow down unarmed citizens."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read Gale to be sad police were not authorized to use machine guns to mow down unarmed citizens. I hope he corrects me if I am wrong.

Alcohol sales are up across the board in the US. Gun sales are up in Kentucky, which might be affecting Gale's POV. Crime is up here, so I somewhat get it, although shooting a cop (or anyone) is still not in my imagination, so I don't get that.

Alcohol sales are prohibited here as part of the curfew regulations - so there's less drinking. The curfew is keeping large numbers of people indoors - so crime is down.

Apparently here the stay at home rules keeping more people at home (especially at night) means the gangs are more able to see each other and shoot at each other in some neighborhoods. Kittens.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/04/17/drug-fueled-gang-feud-sparking-violence-on-streets-emptied-by-coronavirus/

"Despite the pandemic, gangs in Irving Park and Albany Park are still feuding and even taking advantage of the empty streets to find their rivals more easily, the area’s police commander said Thursday afternoon.

The recent uptick in shootings in the area is tied to drug sales and the gang feud, Albany Park (17th) District Police Cmdr. Ronald A. Pontecore Jr. said during an online community police meeting.

The ongoing conflict also includes the February shootings that left a firefighter wounded in Albany Park and a woman shot dead in Irving Park.

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it. We have a violence issue and it’s revolving around narcotics sales,” Pontecore said on the video conference call.

For the most part, neighborhood residents are adhering to the stay at home order and the new social distancing rules in place to slow the spread of the coronavirus, he said.

“But some of the people who aren’t are gang members,” the police commander said. “Right now we’re getting a lot of shots fired calls because with the streets clear it’s easier for gang members to spot each other when they’re out.”

Yeah, my husband and I live in an iffy neighborhood and the drug house we run by always has ten or more cars outside. I guess they are “essential.” We also are still hearing gunfire on a regular basis. However, I would say that the gunfire was less than usual.

The funniest thing that happened to us was running a secluded straight stretch of road at night in an effort to avoid traffic (our area gets a D- for reduction in traffic) and finding ourselves in the middle of a drag race for mini motorcycles! The participants and crowd, weirdly enough, were social distancing, and they greeted us in a friendly fashion.

We have also overheard some worrying arguments as we ran past houses, although nothing that seemed to be domestic violence at that moment, definitely stuff that indicated people were right on the edge.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

Dude, what on earth?

What I don't understand about this is if they know the neighborhoods at risk, why don't they just block the streets in the area off at night with checkpoints? They do this in Rome during the day to make sure nobody is just driving around without a reason. Once there are police all over, these guys don't go out.

I don’t know about Chicago, but for the most part inner city gang neighborhoods in Memphis are foot traffic. And there are cop cars crawling all over at the best of times, everyone has long since learned to deal. You can’t ban people from their own homes, and the corner store is likely the only grocery, so you can’t ban people from going there either. Not to mention in the projects it’s one big building (or a group of identical buildings) with a courtyard.
  • snowflake954

Dude, what on earth?

I don’t know about Chicago, but for the most part inner city gang neighborhoods in Memphis are foot traffic. And there are cop cars crawling all over at the best of times, everyone has long since learned to deal. You can’t ban people from their own homes, and the corner store is likely the only grocery, so you can’t ban people from going there either. Not to mention in the projects it’s one big building (or a group of identical buildings) with a courtyard.

We can't have much foot traffic either--lockdown. The police stop you and ask where you're going, what you're doing, etc. My two oldest sons were at their office across the street and were stopped and questioned crossing the street to come home.

Too bad, it's an opportunity to lockdown on crime. Here, they've been busting drug dealers if they stick their noses out the door. The dealers got desperate and had to send drugs by mail or special delivery. Busted.