Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2020
    I am so frustrated with people.

My husband and I tried to go on an early walk this morning on a local trail.

The trail was PACKED with large groups of runners...all geared up in their marathon shirts, running in tightly packed groups of 10-12 people. A few wearing masks, but most not. All were talking loudly, laughing, obviously breathing heavily, right in each other's faces. There were people of all ages...some definitely old enough to be in a high-risk category.

After encountering about 6-7 of these groups, we abandoned our walk, doubled back and went home. We had our masks on, but the trail is narrow, without much room to move out of their way. The runners were also unwilling to interrupt their conversations and pass us single file so we could have more room.

There were a few other people we saw walking...an elderly couple decided to abandon the trail at the same time we did. The older gentleman said to his wife "This is not worth it."

All of the cancelled official races have led to people doing "virtual" marathons, which is obviously what that was this morning. What is the point of cancelling the race if people are just going to get together in big groups anyways?

This is why this virus is not going away.

I agree this virus is not going away shortly. Events that goes against COVID suggestions and mandates risk lawsuits where the unsanctioned events are just people being people.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    So update on schools here...

Another one of the schools that reopened already has 2 confirmed positive tests on teachers. Teachers who have has contact with other teachers, admins, and students.

This is just gonna go bad.

Very bad per stories out of other places.

I really wish they'd not reopen schools until, at the very least, the 2nd half of the school year. Yes, it'll be tough but maybe, just maybe, things will be a little better by then. With everyone travelling now, and seeing as how we're already hearing of it spreading with the earlier opening schools, you'd think they'd wait. :( They may not have a choice when too many of the teachers and staff start getting it. :(

Stay healthy everyone, please!!!

This thing is just getting too large to wrap one's head around.

Sadly there are more than a few parents that want the kids out of the house at any cost.

Both these statements are so true. And scary as well.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    edited August 2020
    Never mind.
  • mockchoc
    Morning all.. :) Well, crap hit the fan in Victoria and I fear Sydney is on its way. Australia was doing so well, a month ago I could almost see things getting back to normalish. Businesses were opening back up, restrictions lifting then "boom" cases have spiralled out of control in Victoria, borders were tightened but too late.
    Hot spots all over Sydney now. 😒
    I shake my head at the unbelievable selfishness of people, these 3 ladies couldn't have cared less about anyone but themselves.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-30/coronavirus-queensland-three-women-charged/12508498

Stay safe and well everyone ..

And they were thieves Jo. Not sure about the ladies part still.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    edited August 2020
    GaleHawkins-Oh No- and can't they see how we in the USA are sick and dying-- the Germans nor any other country -they do not need to "follow" us esp. in rebelling at health officials trying to keep us safe- no sir- not at all!!!!

https://apnews.com/ef70c1af702b89c23e71fcd843e63293--your link
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Morning all.. :) Well, crap hit the fan in Victoria and I fear Sydney is on its way. Australia was doing so well, a month ago I could almost see things getting back to normalish. Businesses were opening back up, restrictions lifting then "boom" cases have spiralled out of control in Victoria, borders were tightened but too late.
    I shake my head at the unbelievable selfishness of people, these 3 ladies couldn't have cared less about anyone but themselves.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-30/coronavirus-queensland-three-women-charged/12508498

Yes, I did read somewhere that part of the reason for their deception was a shoplifting spree.
    ythannah wrote: »

Looking at that map, they could have infected hundreds traipsing around, including a medical facility.

Sorry to hear things have gone badly in Australia. :( Some parts of Canada have seen increases but my little corner of Nowhere is still doing pretty well. I've never been so grateful to live in a remote sparsely populated place.

Yes, they have done a great deal of damage and for a while one of them would not even say where she'd been.

I too am lucky to be in a fairly remote area in a small town. We had 2 cases very early on but none for months now. I'm praying it stays that way.
  • mockchoc

Yes, I did read somewhere that part of the reason for their deception was a shoplifting spree.

Looking at that map, they could have infected hundreds traipsing around, including a medical facility.

Sorry to hear things have gone badly in Australia. :( Some parts of Canada have seen increases but my little corner of Nowhere is still doing pretty well. I've never been so grateful to live in a remote sparsely populated place.

Yes, they have done a great deal of damage and for a while one of them would not even say where she'd been.

I too am lucky to be in a fairly remote area in a small town. We had 2 cases very early on but none for months now. I'm praying it stays that way.

I love where you are. We've camped near there all our lives when young and hubby's family is from not far away too. Stay safe beautiful.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Yes I am sorry to read of situation in Victoria - and NSW sounds on same projectory.
    Hopefully nipped in bud better there

Safe states like SA and WA need to keep tight borders and careful control of any exempted entrants.

Things are almost normal here in SA and obviously we want to keep it that way.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

I love where you are. We've camped near there all our lives when young and hubby's family is from not far away too. Stay safe beautiful.

Thank you Sue, you too 🙂
    Yes I am sorry to read of situation in Victoria - and NSW sounds on same projectory.

Safe states like SA and WA need to keep tight borders and careful control of any exempted entrants.

I hope you stay safe and the tight border restrictions save you from ending where we are right now. I think our borders with Victoria should have been much tighter , earlier than it was.. I just knew it wouldn't go well. 😔
    I feel New South Wales is on the edge of a precipice and we are about to fall.
  • mockchoc

So do I so you are welcome to have the men kicking balls instead of us lol. Ok joking now but jez they can stay home. Make their millions down south somewhere.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2020
    debtay123 wrote: »
    GaleHawkins-Oh No- and can't they see how we in the USA are sick and dying-- the Germans nor any other country -they do not need to "follow" us esp. in rebelling at health officials trying to keep us safe- no sir- not at all!!!!

https://apnews.com/ef70c1af702b89c23e71fcd843e63293--your link

How did you break my link. :)

https://apnews.com/ef70c1af702b89c23e71fcd843e63293

Thousands protest in Berlin against coronavirus restrictions
    By GEIR MOULSON
    yesterday
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member

So do I so you are welcome to have the men kicking balls instead of us lol. Ok joking now but jez they can stay home. Make their millions down south somewhere.

Haha. :D

I'd love to get to an AFL match again, I usually go to a couple a year.

Won't be happening this year with limited crowd numbers - and my team isn't worth watching this year anyway. :o;):*

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    When Virginia's guidelines said no group gatherings over 10 people, my family said having a family dinner would be fine because it's 9 people. I tried to explain that I didn't care what the state guidelines were, there wasn't room for all 9 of us to sit and eat far enough apart indoors. I'm shocked by how much most people (Americans, at least) want to grasp onto any out-of-context detail that just makes everything ok. As someone who lives alone and is working from home, I know how the loneliness can weigh on you. I'm afraid I'm missing important time with my little nephews, and my parents. But we are making this so much worse than it needs to be by not just swallowing our medicine and getting it over with!

Exactly. And I'm afraid we're simply going to limp along until the day when everyone can get a vaccine, which IMO will be quite awhile. :(