Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Of course in IL liquor and recreational marijuana retailers have been deemed essential and open through all of this.

One of the big reasons liquor stores are deemed essential is that for a severe alcoholic, detox can be deadly and require hospitalization inpatient care. Ours were initially deemed essential, and then closed as we have liquor and beer sales in grocery stores and gas stations here...it kind of backfired though IMO as you now have people making beer and liquor runs to the grocery store and not really getting any other essential food items...just getting their beer and booze and co-mingling with those that are there to buy their essential groceries and other supplies. IMO, there was no reason at all to close down liquor stores. Now you just have mass amounts of people going to the grocery store simply to get their adult beverages.

There was apparently an issue in PA as state run liquor-stores were closed and people went to (and overcrowded) neighboring states in some areas. I already see too many people buying just alcohol in the grocery store, imagine if they were all making runs to Indiana.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    . Something to keep in perspective. The US vs Australia land size vs population. The US is roughly 20% larger but the total population of the US is many multiple times more. California’s population alone, is more than all of Australia, by multiple millions. We know that the spread has been quicker in areas with greater populations. Areas where people are in close proximity to each other. IE: large cities, prisons, meat processing plants, nursing homes, where the pre-existing health issues of elderly residents, make them particularly, vulnerable to dying from the virus.

Yes I realise that.

Of course spread is more where people are in close proximity - that is the whole point of social distancing and lockdowns.

We do have people in cities, nursing homes etc here too, you know.

And land size isn't really the issue - yes, Australia has an overall low population density to land space - but not really, when you factor in that large areas of inland are extremely sparsely populated and that obviously brings the average down.

I think our success rate with coronavirus is more to do with strong early leadership, undivided by party politics, and strong compliance by vast majority of the population.

This virus spread very quickly in a very short amount of time. International travel seemed to be a big factor in the spread. Planes, cruise ships etc. bringing it to areas that were densely populated before the contagion of this was fully realized.

The comparison between the two countries I was trying to make, is similar sizes with vastly differing population numbers. There is a lot of sparsely populated areas in the US as well, where the spread has been much slower. Time enough for those areas to prepare for the virus a bit better, but it is spreading, and many places have not peaked.

Social distancing does work in slowing this down. Everywhere. That’s why the reopening of businesses needs to be done cautiously, and safely, with emphasis on watching for spikes. I read where results of reopenings could take 6 weeks. Positive or negative.

You originally asked how it’s being handled in our particular area. I answered that in a part of my post you did not include in quoting me. Context matters.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member

Yes I originally asked that and I am interested in all the answers

I quoted the part I was responding to - I dont think my response needed the whole post for any context.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Evidently the WV governor slipped in a speech made yesterday - they are trying to say it was a glitch in the audio buuuut, sure sounds like the F-bomb to me! I think everyone is just so tired and frustrated at this point...

Video for anyone interested: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMrNsvEC94
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Of course in IL liquor and recreational marijuana retailers have been deemed essential and open through all of this.

One of the big reasons liquor stores are deemed essential is that for a severe alcoholic, detox can be deadly and require hospitalization inpatient care. Ours were initially deemed essential, and then closed as we have liquor and beer sales in grocery stores and gas stations here...it kind of backfired though IMO as you now have people making beer and liquor runs to the grocery store and not really getting any other essential food items...just getting their beer and booze and co-mingling with those that are there to buy their essential groceries and other supplies. IMO, there was no reason at all to close down liquor stores. Now you just have mass amounts of people going to the grocery store simply to get their adult beverages.

There was apparently an issue in PA as state run liquor-stores were closed and people went to (and overcrowded) neighboring states in some areas. I already see too many people buying just alcohol in the grocery store, imagine if they were all making runs to Indiana.

People in New Mexico are making runs to Colorado for MJ.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I am in Iowa. We had a stay in place order, never an actual lockdown. Last Friday 77 out of 99 counties were allowed to open quite a bit of things. Most businesses were to limit capacity to 50%. Masks are recommended as well as social distancing, the vulnerable to still stay home. Some of the stores are requiring masks. The other 22 is where more of the bigger cities are & more of the virus activity, but as of tomorrow, some things can resume there also. Malls, spas, campgrounds through the state. Churches have been allowed since last Friday, altho most of the bigger ones have chosen to remain closed with video services for now. Restaurants have been closed, with delivery & carry out only. Ones in the 77 counties can reopen with restrictions, although on the news a lot have said that is not feasable, so will remain closed.

Our case numbers & deaths jumped about a week ago & now have been holding pretty steady. They say the reason is because they are testing more & especially in suspected hot spots (nursing homes & packing plants). I guess part of the criteria they are using to open is that we still have an abundance of ICU beds & ventilators currently.

As some of the "vulnerable" (over 65), we will be continuing on as we have been. Staying home as much as possible, keeping our distance from people if we are out & wearing a mask if we will be close to anyone. People here are walking a lot & nobody wears a mask for that, but do try to keep their distance.

Do you know the criterion used to decide which counties to open or not?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    @paperpudding

Oops sorry, I mangled the quote 😬

Yes I realise that.

Of course spread is more where people are in close proximity - that is the whole point of social distancing and lockdowns.

And land size isn't really the issue - yes, Australia has an overall low population density to land space - but not really, when you factor in that large areas of inland are extremely sparsely populated and that obviously brings the average down.

I think our success rate with coronavirus is more to do with strong early leadership, undivided by party politics, and strong compliance by vast majority of the population. [/quote]

I'm pretty happy with how they are handling it... apart from the Ruby Princess and Newmarch Nursing home debacles, costing 36 lives...without those 2 hot spots our toll would be less than 60 Australia wide. My one worry is that things will be opened up too soon and a second wave will undo all we've done so far... Yeah, it's been tough and isolation sucked but I'd do anything to keep my dad and family safe.... anything.
    [/quote]

We are going great Jo. I'm positive we in Queensland will be fine, got to think positive! Some idiot could screw it all up in an instant still I guess. We have zero virus where I am now. We are only allowed to drive 50km's from home and have to sleep at home too.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    @paperpudding

Yes I realise that.

I think our success rate with coronavirus is more to do with strong early leadership, undivided by party politics, and strong compliance by vast majority of the population.

I'm pretty happy with how they are handling it... apart from the Ruby Princess and Newmarch Nursing home debacles, costing 36 lives...without those 2 hot spots our toll would be less than 60 Australia wide. My one worry is that things will be opened up too soon and a second wave will undo all we've done so far... Yeah, it's been tough and isolation sucked but I'd do anything to keep my dad and family safe.... anything.
    [/quote]

We are going great Jo. I'm positive we in Queensland will be fine, got to think positive! Some idiot could screw it all up in an instant still I guess. We have zero virus where I am now. We are only allowed to drive 50km's from home and have to sleep at home too. [/quote]

That's good news Sue, Queensland is doing so well, 6 deaths statewide for you guys.. 44 for us in NSW. I'm thinking Victoria's number will rise due to the cluster at that abattoir, fingers crossed it doesn't though.
    Stay safe Sue 🙂
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    slimjo ( in which state?) and mockchoc in Qld- yes, I am also happy with how it has been handled here in Australia too - with exception of infamous Ruby Princess fiasco.
    I dont know much about Newmarch and how it got out of hand there.

our perfect run in SA - 14 days of zero new cases - came to an end yesterday with one new case.

I know everyone has the fear of re opening too soon - but I think Australia is re opening very cautiously in comparison to case load.

The only change in SA so far (where admittedly restrictions weren't as tight as other states in first place) is untaping of playgrounds/skate parks.

US ( as a whole- I realise it isnt same throughout) seems to be re opening faster than us despite still having many more active cases and spikes of new cases.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner For the first 77 counties, they just kept saying there was little or no activity, so no need to keep them closed. The 22 not as open are pretty much the ones along I-80 corridor, plus Dubuque & Blackhawk & one out west but cant remember which it is.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner For the first 77 counties, they just kept saying there was little or no activity, so no need to keep them closed. The 22 not as open are pretty much the ones along I-80 corridor, plus Dubuque & Blackhawk & one out west but cant remember which it is.

The reason I ask is because I had heard some pretty specific criteria regarding the number of cases increasing in each county on a rolling 14-day period. But that didn't explain a lot of counties that were opened, including Portawattamie. And it doesn't fit for some counties that were opened originally, but should now be closed down again (for example, Page). When people have provided objective criteria supposedly used, it doesn't fit the actual data for counties selected to open or not. It just looks to me like Gov. Reynolds doesn't have any actual criteria, as though she is just picking counties out of a hat.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    @paperpudding

Yes I realise that.

We are going great Jo. I'm positive we in Queensland will be fine, got to think positive! Some idiot could screw it all up in an instant still I guess. We have zero virus where I am now. We are only allowed to drive 50km's from home and have to sleep at home too. [/quote]

That's good news Sue, Queensland is doing so well, 6 deaths statewide for you guys.. 44 for us in NSW. I'm thinking Victoria's number will rise due to the cluster at that abattoir, fingers crossed it doesn't though.
    Stay safe Sue 🙂[/quote]

We've had floods and fires lately. My house was destroyed just over a year ago and now this but we are strong Jo. Thanks. You please stay safe too. It's hard. We are tough chicks lol. Nothing will stop us and that is the truth. My house is only just back as it should be........never mind. At least we are home.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    All I know is she says she “is going by the data”.