Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Victoria and NSW doing it tougher but the rest of Australia I think is doing ok.
    3mbnsw0pbjf2.jpg
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I went to the Salvation Army this a.m. and good change from last time is everyone is wearing masks now, Thank You Gov. Scott!! I load up my arms with books and puzzles, get to the counter, set them down, and the clerk starts coughing, hacking and sneezing. Oy :( I told her to keep the change, hoping to keep contact to a minimum but she said she was required to give me the receipt. :/ I'm sure it was just a cold.

I hope.

Here it’s also mandatory to give the receipt. Most stores I’ve been to have reorganized the tills and turned the receipt printer towards the customer so they can just say ”your receipt is there” and customers can easily grab it if they want it. I really hope it stays this way even post-pandemic, so there’s no need for that awkward social interaction and less germ exchange for the clerk.

Funny thing!! I was sitting in the restaurant drive through line while reading this. So I reach the pay window and the cashier no longer touches the card if we have Chip & Pin. She hands me the same credit card machine everyone else touched, I put my card in and touch the same pin pad everyone else used, and remove my card. She tears off the credit card slip and enters the Authorization number into her transaction on the cash register. Then she hands me the slip. I go to the pickup window, they hand me the food, and with the till receipt in hand she asks me if I want it or not. Guess I'd touched everything else already so that was just one more thing.

Our debit cards have had tap for a few years now. I think my per-transaction tap limit is $100 but I could probably get that increased if I wanted. Contactless. In theory it's called tap, but the card doesn't actually have to touch the machine, just close enough to be read.

I've seen a couple of places that don't have tap enabled machines wrap their card machine in plastic (like Saran Wrap) so it can be wiped down after every customer.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Complete shift of gears, here: On errands this afternoon, I found the Very Most Polite And Mask/Distancing Compliant place I've been at, since this whole thing started.

It was a big but very busy (multi-material) public recycling drop-off site run by the local university, near my home. They closed briefly, but are now open 9AM-3PM, M-F (used to be 24x7 pre-pandemic).

Even though it's outdoors, masks are required (presumably because people may get close to each other, possibly coming out of a blind corner). Every other angle-parking spot was blocked with a traffic cone. There was an attendant (never had one pre-pandemic) under a portable canopy. Every single patron I saw was properly masked. People were bustling back and forth, and you'd see people walk between the big receptacles or out toward the cars to maintain distance from others when meeting/passing, despite the masks. The receptacles are giant truck-sized bins with multiple doors to throw recyclables through, and folks were spacing themselves out at different doors, or waiting briefly for a clear spot.

I'm going to double down in my speculation - can't recall if in this or another corona thread here - that different businesses/facilities tend to attract different subgroups as patrons, who have different attitudes toward what's appropriate behavior during this mess.

I think I have observed this, too. Although two nurseries (same type of business) had patrons with noticeably different sensibilities. A N=2 experiment is admittedly nothing more than 2 data points. I’m willing to believe recyclers are a conscientious group in the main.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Victoria and NSW doing it tougher but the rest of Australia I think is doing ok.

Victoria is doing by far the worst of all states.

I dont think NSW numbers are as bad as they look - most of them are historical.

I think their current numbers are quite low - not as low as other states outside Vic, but lower than the total on that graph would imply.

I cant remember where you live slimjo - I know it is in Australia like me (in SA) but not which state?

How are you faring?
  • slimgirljo15
    edited August 2020
    Options

Victoria is doing by far the worst of all states.

I dont think NSW numbers are as bad as they look - most of them are historical.

I think their current numbers are quite low - not as low as other states outside Vic, but lower than the total on that graph would imply.

I cant remember where you live slimjo - I know it is in Australia like me (in SA) but not which state?

How are you faring?

I'm in NSW, Hunter Valley Region atm. Doing ok, no cases in my local area for months, we did have 2 about 3 months ago.
    You are correct about NSW and I think only one or two deaths since May.
    Yeah, Victoria is having a shocker. Compared to many places I thought the other states are doing quite well. Some have had 0 new cases for a long while.

SA looks to be doing pretty good. What's it like in your local area.?
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Hi! :)

My local area, regional town in SA, is doing well.
    We had 6 cases, all returned overseas travellers who did the right thing and self isolated properly (this was months ago, before supervised hotel quarantine came in) and it went no further.
    They are now all fully recovered.

SA is getting a trickle of new cases now - however they seem to all be people returned from o/s or interstate who are in supervised quarantine - so very little risk to outer community.

Life is almost back to normal - restarants/cafes are open (but no buffets or salad bars or mingling at the bar) sports are back on, activities I do like Dog Obedience and Walking Group are back on, nursing home residents can have visitors and go out.
    No large mass gatherings and no o/s travel of course.
    and hard border against Vic and NSW.

Similar to here.. I don't go out much unless for groceries or a walk out in the paddock. I'm in close contact with my dad most everyday and his health is not great so I'm not risking even the remotest possibility of getting it and passing it on.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I went to the Salvation Army this a.m. and good change from last time is everyone is wearing masks now, Thank You Gov. Scott!! I load up my arms with books and puzzles, get to the counter, set them down, and the clerk starts coughing, hacking and sneezing. Oy :( I told her to keep the change, hoping to keep contact to a minimum but she said she was required to give me the receipt. :/ I'm sure it was just a cold.

I hope.

Here it’s also mandatory to give the receipt. Most stores I’ve been to have reorganized the tills and turned the receipt printer towards the customer so they can just say ”your receipt is there” and customers can easily grab it if they want it. I really hope it stays this way even post-pandemic, so there’s no need for that awkward social interaction and less germ exchange for the clerk.

Funny thing!! I was sitting in the restaurant drive through line while reading this. So I reach the pay window and the cashier no longer touches the card if we have Chip & Pin. She hands me the same credit card machine everyone else touched, I put my card in and touch the same pin pad everyone else used, and remove my card. She tears off the credit card slip and enters the Authorization number into her transaction on the cash register. Then she hands me the slip. I go to the pickup window, they hand me the food, and with the till receipt in hand she asks me if I want it or not. Guess I'd touched everything else already so that was just one more thing.

Our debit cards have had tap for a few years now. I think my per-transaction tap limit is $100 but I could probably get that increased if I wanted. Contactless. In theory it's called tap, but the card doesn't actually have to touch the machine, just close enough to be read.

I've seen a couple of places that don't have tap enabled machines wrap their card machine in plastic (like Saran Wrap) so it can be wiped down after every customer.

They have the tap feature at pretty much all places I go to. However, most of the key pads are covered with the glad wrap stuff you’re able to reuse. The definitely aren’t cleaning the machine after each use. I see no logical reason to cover the key pad. What is the point? They aren’t cleaning between uses. I keep hand sanitizer in all our vehicles.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    With you 100% on the crazy times. Stay safe out there.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Complete shift of gears, here: On errands this afternoon, I found the Very Most Polite And Mask/Distancing Compliant place I've been at, since this whole thing started.

It was a big but very busy (multi-material) public recycling drop-off site run by the local university, near my home. They closed briefly, but are now open 9AM-3PM, M-F (used to be 24x7 pre-pandemic).

Even though it's outdoors, masks are required (presumably because people may get close to each other, possibly coming out of a blind corner). Every other angle-parking spot was blocked with a traffic cone. There was an attendant (never had one pre-pandemic) under a portable canopy. Every single patron I saw was properly masked. People were bustling back and forth, and you'd see people walk between the big receptacles or out toward the cars to maintain distance from others when meeting/passing, despite the masks. The receptacles are giant truck-sized bins with multiple doors to throw recyclables through, and folks were spacing themselves out at different doors, or waiting briefly for a clear spot.

I'm going to double down in my speculation - can't recall if in this or another corona thread here - that different businesses/facilities tend to attract different subgroups as patrons, who have different attitudes toward what's appropriate behavior during this mess.

This is very true. We've recently looked at getting a gun. I'm about as pacifist as you can get and I detest guns, but with everything going on (I've had legit threats against me because I'm outspoken on Facebook against certain lying politicians who shall remain nameless and my business address is online), we've decided to get a couple of handguns and keep them safe. We have no grandkids that visit either, so there's none of that going on here.

We went into one gun shop and no one, not one person, was wearing a mask. Now, keep in mind, a month ago, Arizona was per capita the highest place on the flippin' planet for Coronavirus and the entire county had it as law that they could shut you down for ignoring the statutes. But yet, every single person, including the staff, had no mask on.

Sign of the times. One time I'm not a pacifist -- you threaten my family. Just don't like getting exposed to Covid-19 because the entire gun lobby (at least in AZ) appears to be against masks, which is a shame.

There are leading health care professionals of the same mind set as some gun owners.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/19/swedens-tegnell-wearing-face-masks-may-be-very-dangerous/

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I've had legit threats against me because I'm outspoken on Facebook against certain lying politicians who shall remain nameless and my business address is online

Hindsight always 20/20 and free speech, but this maybe these actions aren't the best idea.

I'm thinking the first "legit threat" I got, I'd back off on the comments.

I have, locally at least. But it's a shame that this country has become that. Conspiracy theorists that believe there are pedophile cannibals, with guns. Because if it weren't for my wife being scared, I wouldn't back off at all.

There has actually never, in our nation's history, been a more important time for people who are sane and believe in science and democracy, to speak up. Shutting the rational people down is what the crazies would like to do. Next thing would be the crazies running the country. I'd rather be dead. When calm people that believe in order and government are silenced, we are an authoritarian regime.

Being threatened online is nothing compared to what others have done to ensure we're all free.

Big hugs sweetie. I would hate being over there right now.