Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    https://www.npjournal.org/article/S1555-4155(12)00621-6/pdf

Kawasaki syndrome and rheumatic heart disease, a consequence of group A streptococcal infection, are the first and second leading causes of acquired heart disease in children in the United States. Kawasaki syndrome and streptococcal scarlet fever manifest in clinically similar ways, and it is important for the nurse practitioner to recognize the distinguishing features of these 2 diagnoses. Prompt identification and management of both disease processes can mitigate the risk for developing associated cardiac sequelae.

Two children in New York have died from Kawasaki..
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-5-year-old-dies-new-york-severe-illness-linked-to-covid-19/
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lol...someone is on a disagree spree...

Yes I noticed 2 people disagreed with my accounting of the SA roadmap to recovery - although none of it was my opinion, just an objective statement of what the restrictions will become.

Are they disagreeing that my post is an accurate account- even though I copy/pasted the table from the SA health site showing them??? or do they disagree with what the SA govt is deciding???

If so, would like to know on what basis they are disagreeing. :*

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who answered my question about why churches closing is controversial in US.

I am not aware of any similar objections here - or any 'the govt is picking on my religion' protests.

The ban on gatherings applied equally to all religions and all non religious gatherings and I think there would be quite a public backlash if any religious groups wanted to start 'But we should be an exception to that'

yes I appreciate such groups are a minority (albeit an outspoken noisy minority?) in US too - and I am sure they could exist here too but they are an even smaller minority here.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I want to know why the meat workers are so able to get sick from this. Can't they make them work further apart? No one should be doing ANYTHING near anyone else. Full stop. Don't you realise this kills?

Not the way the plants have traditionally been run, and I guess nobody has been innovative enough to find a way to change things without reducing profits.

It's not that simple.

Given your comments I'm pretty sure you have never been in any sort of manufacturing or processing facility. Facilities are sent up for maximum efficiency so prices are lower to the consumer and the companies make a reasonable profit/return on investment.

Maximum efficiency in manufacturing/processing involves minimizing non-value added movement. Extra unneeded space between workers, their supplies, parts, etc. is waste and extra cost. Completely retrofitting a production line often involves shutting down production for weeks or months to over a year as well as considerable $. Plus if you add waste to the process, that cost will be passed on to consumers for years.

Can a few stopgap measures be done, probably but not going to have wholesale changes.

As I said, it would take innovation to figure out a different way to do things. At one time, a lot of the work done in factories was done in people's homes, piecemeal. The very idea of a factory was a huge innovation. Redesigning a factory to allow for social distancing and still make a profit would take innovation. An even bigger innovation, like the leap to the assembly line, would change things and make an even bigger profit.

You're essentially saying the same thing I am from the other side of the wall, where you can't imagine the innovation.

ETA: You see extra space between workers as a waste of money. I see extra space between workers as a way to have the same output with lower labor costs. Because you think extra space between workers requires more overall space, while I think extra space between workers can mean fewer workers. Given your comments I'm pretty sure you've never heard of automation or robotics.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I want to know why the meat workers are so able to get sick from this. Can't they make them work further apart? No one should be doing ANYTHING near anyone else. Full stop. Don't you realise this kills?

ETA: You see extra space between workers as a waste of money. I see extra space between workers as a way to have the same output with lower labor costs. Because you think extra space between workers requires more overall space, while I think extra space between workers can mean fewer workers. Given your comments I'm pretty sure you've never heard of automation or robotics.

Are we looking to put more people out of work? The whole point of the lockdowns/self isolation was to slow the spread not to stop it entirely(which seems very far away lets be honest). Not arguing against innovation and automation so much as pointing out that doing that is likely not possible on short notice but also ends up putting people out of work...and then what will they do? Yes deaths are horrible, but the cure can't be worse than the disease and this is currently seeming worse than the disease as people are out of work, can't pay bills, losing jobs, the economy is tanking etc. There has to be a balance (and from what I can see the death rate is NOT worse than the flu so...it sucks when people die but sadly it happens for a variety of reasons - but we don't lockdown during flu season and at this point for me the cure is worse than the disease

• kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't get why my previous comment was in the quote box when posted as it didn't appear to be so in the post itself.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    I don't get why my previous comment was in the quote box when posted as it didn't appear to be so in the post itself.

You can edit your post and make sure that there is a [/quote] before you start your own comments. I believe you might actually need TWO of them. Just type them in, preview and then Save Post when happy!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    RE: Churches. A lot of people are upset that in guidance, it is "churches" or "churches and synagogues" - the word "mosque" is never used. They should either say "religious gatherings" or name them all. It gives the impression that some religions are allowed to continue their services and others are not. I don't think that is the point of the ruling, but it gives that impression to a lot of people. Some governors have said they will shut down churches permanently if they break guidelines. This isn't applied to businesses, so it feels they are singling out churches.

Our state government has put up "guidance" for religious groups, and "directives" for all other groups. He said he understands that the government should not be governing how people worship, but the state does have authority and power over all the other industries. I respect that.

My church (which is large) has more careful opening guidelines than the state. I respect that. We have a huge church (1,500 ish every Sunday, which is far above the 50 allowed right now). Our plan is to do online through May - with the last two weeks to have outdoor services at multiple locations (to keep them small, with pre-registration) the last two weeks in May in addition to the online services. If all holds well with recoveries and testing, we will resume in-person services in June - but 5-6 services per Sunday with online registration and social distancing to keep services small. Only limited children's activities (not announced yet, except morning day camp in late July).

ETA and if I understand correctly, our churches giving has either held steady or increased. Our church has also taken measures to reduce costs, not heating or cooling most of the building (which is large), etc. My giving is online, and nothing has changed because I'm still working.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    One of the talking heads I listen to floated this "model" for how we're going to re-open, and I pretty much agree with it.

The idea is we'll have 3 cohorts of maybe equal-ish size. The first is going to rush directly out to shop, get haircuts, eat, visit parks, etc. They're the "early adopters." The second group is going to closely watch what happens with the first group. Perhaps they "set their watches" for 3 or 4 weeks before deciding whether the water looks safe. The final group is elderly and/or has serious underlying illness such that waiting for a vaccine or reliable treatment is really their only option.

I took a poll of my friends and family, and nearly all of us are part of group 2. A few of us are pessimistic about doing any of our "normal" things any time this year. Back in April, I called 2020 "The Lost Year."

For the economically minded, the problem here is that SMBs will continue to struggle on 1/3 or 1/2 their usual volume.

I'm definitely in group 2.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    We have a big trip to NZ planned for November. We just got our second cancellation via email. First was an Airbnb reservation, and the second was the Hobbiton banquet dinner. Copious tears and gnashing of teeth from this Tolkien fanatic (note the user name).

Little uneasy. This is “the” retirement trip that we had planned for years, and have already spent a ton of money on.

So sorry for your loss❤️ and it is a loss. Any chance of still making this trip? Their island has fared well during this. True leadership has been a big factor.

So much sacrifice and uncertainty with this virus. It’s very scary.