Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Complete shift of gears, here: On errands this afternoon, I found the Very Most Polite And Mask/Distancing Compliant place I've been at, since this whole thing started.

It was a big but very busy (multi-material) public recycling drop-off site run by the local university, near my home. They closed briefly, but are now open 9AM-3PM, M-F (used to be 24x7 pre-pandemic).

Even though it's outdoors, masks are required (presumably because people may get close to each other, possibly coming out of a blind corner). Every other angle-parking spot was blocked with a traffic cone. There was an attendant (never had one pre-pandemic) under a portable canopy. Every single patron I saw was properly masked. People were bustling back and forth, and you'd see people walk between the big receptacles or out toward the cars to maintain distance from others when meeting/passing, despite the masks. The receptacles are giant truck-sized bins with multiple doors to throw recyclables through, and folks were spacing themselves out at different doors, or waiting briefly for a clear spot.

I'm going to double down in my speculation - can't recall if in this or another corona thread here - that different businesses/facilities tend to attract different subgroups as patrons, who have different attitudes toward what's appropriate behavior during this mess.

This is very true. We've recently looked at getting a gun. I'm about as pacifist as you can get and I detest guns, but with everything going on (I've had legit threats against me because I'm outspoken on Facebook against certain lying politicians who shall remain nameless and my business address is online), we've decided to get a couple of handguns and keep them safe. We have no grandkids that visit either, so there's none of that going on here.

We went into one gun shop and no one, not one person, was wearing a mask. Now, keep in mind, a month ago, Arizona was per capita the highest place on the flippin' planet for Coronavirus and the entire county had it as law that they could shut you down for ignoring the statutes. But yet, every single person, including the staff, had no mask on.

Sign of the times. One time I'm not a pacifist -- you threaten my family. Just don't like getting exposed to Covid-19 because the entire gun lobby (at least in AZ) appears to be against masks, which is a shame.

There are leading health care professionals of the same mind set as some gun owners.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/19/swedens-tegnell-wearing-face-masks-may-be-very-dangerous/

Hmm. The way you framed this suggests -- and thus I must conclude that was your intent -- that Tegnell said that mask wearing was dangerous to one's health. But instead, what he said was:

"“Face masks can be a complement to other things when other things are safely in place,” he said. “But to start with having face masks and then think you can crowd your buses or your shopping malls — that’s definitely a mistake.”

Thus, no, he does not agree with people who are anti social distancing AND anti masks as a political statement. He's saying that if you think you can ignore all other precautions because you have a mask, that's dangerous.

Luckily, I don't see anyone saying that a mask is a panacea such that nothing else matters.

Your post is on target. Thanks
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    In the town nearest to us (small town population 20,000 with 2 colleges. About 3000 students enrolled at this college) off campus party has resulted in an outbreak of Covid-19 among the party goers. Annual tuition $50,000/year. How are they going to get a grip on COVID-19 with this occurring at universities and colleges across the country? I’m in Minnesota, and the highest rates of new infections is in the 20-30 age group.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2020
    We are such a global community anymore that sadly even if one country/locality/state appears to be nailing the response down, it's only a matter of time before it pops back up again. We are just lucky that the mortality of known cases is "only" 5%, If this were a true plague with higher mortality we would probably be looking at close to an extinction event seeing as how we do not seem to have the ability to work together as a world against a common enemy (virus).

And that's my Debbie downer note for today.

I noted something about this the other day. New mathematical models, because scientists are now saying that T Cells are just as, if not more important that antibodies, that we might only need to reach 43% or less of the population ( I think they said 43%) before we have herd immunity. That's great news, actually.

Sweden went for this early and deliberately. The irony is, the US didn't at all, but might achieve it soon after Sweden. Sweden's decision was controversial and (some would say) cost some of their old their lives. Our response would be just utter and complete incompetence.

At this point, I say with the young and dumb and the anti-maskers, as well as those that have already been exposed -- through no fault of their own -- we're inching closer and closer to that 43%. I do think after Fall, which will be bad, that we'll see the numbers dropping dramatically.

I think that's positive in a dark kind of way??
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    My MIL's PCR test came back negative. She's still sick, but it isn't covid.

Could be. My friend who had it for 10 weeks tested negative. Dr. Said maybe because they tested so late, maybe a bad test.
    She also tested negative for antibodies about 12 weeks after first symptoms. She is now in quarantine again because she was definitely exposed.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    We are such a global community anymore that sadly even if one country/locality/state appears to be nailing the response down, it's only a matter of time before it pops back up again. We are just lucky that the mortality of known cases is "only" 5%, If this were a true plague with higher mortality we would probably be looking at close to an extinction event seeing as how we do not seem to have the ability to work together as a world against a common enemy (virus).

And that's my Debbie downer note for today.

Mortality is less than 1%.