WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    (((Debbie and Kim)))

Faye why do you say a trip to Spain or france to visit family or friends there will not happen? finances for the ticket?
    Outside Covid off-season there are some really cheap plane tickets at times.

I cannot travel by ship or plane because of inner ear disorder and fear of opening a perilymph fistula. Travel by auto is limited to 200 miles a day and no sudden elevation changes. I can make some fairly steep climbs now as long as I go slow.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a spinning workout today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Complete Strength Training DVD.

Worked, then tried to go in the pool. The reason I say “tried” is because there was a snake in it and it brushed against my hand. Well, I was out of there so fast it would have made your head spin. So I went to exercise, the Salvation Army where I found a DVD that I don’t own, then to Aldi, stopped at Habitat for Humanity (why, I don’t know, they never have anything good and if they do, it’s priced outrageously high for something used.), then met a lady who bought a toaster from me. Now home, will have dinner and then think I’ll work on the x-stitch.

Heather
    – hope the antibiotic works, too. You know, I haven’t had many UTI’s and the last one was probably something like 15 years ago, but I don’t seem to remember my abdomen hurting, it just was very painful when I went to the bathroom

Faye – I’m seeing fewer and fewer people wearing gloves. I think I’ve only seen one person in Food Lion with gloves on. Most of the people, tho, do wear a mask. I never thought I’d be grateful for wearing glasses!

Debbie
    – praying for your parents

Pip
    – good remote holder!!! Or is he saying “give me the attention!”

Terri
    – our drying rack is a lot like yours only we have a bar across the top where I can hang clothes from

Rebecca
    – “For me, part of how I show love is baking, and cooking with care. I was raised to be a people pleaser! My Mom was a classic case. She would ask how you liked something she made, before you even took the first bite. If it wasn't a resounding yes, she'd have a myriad of reasons why it wasn't perfect. She put a lot of pressure on herself.” Are you SURE we’re not related????

Rita
    – I couldn’t bring myself to look. Thanks for using the spoiler

Not sure why I’m so tired right now.

Michele NC

We are sisters by circumstance.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are with all you ladies in California.💖. My daughter in laws family is still in Vacaville CA, and is ready to evacuate if it when the order is given. Praying for rain!
    💖Rebecca
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did Complete Strength Training DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a workout on the rebounder

Kim in CA – (((HUG))) Keep posting – even if it isn’t much so that we know you’re OK

Barbara
    – good news about Joe’s eye, indeed

Bananas
    – sounds like you had a lovely vacation. Welcome back!

Faye – I don’t like all that muscle, too. To me, it looks somewhat fake

Worked today. This was the first time I was on a register and I really liked it. I just need to learn all the different “problems”. Like today I had a lady buying nectarines, there was no code on them, and the ones on sale (that she was buying) weren’t in the system. Oh, well, I’ll get it Then went to WalMart for just a few things and home. Had to go back to Food Lion to find out how to access my work schedule for next week.

Question: you know how the masks begin to have an “off” smell? What does everyone else do to keep them smelling (to you) fresh? I’ve washed mine and used fabric softener, but that doesn’t seem to last very long.

Yvonne – how many times do you hear of someone retiring and then a few months later dying? This is so sad.

Vince has done a fair amount of traveling, mostly on business but he did travel a lot in the US when he was younger. Not me.

Tina – speaking of baking, I just “fed” my sourdough. Still hoping for the best.

Since I don’t work tomorrow I’m thinking that I’ll soak my mask in fabric softener. Food pantry tomorrow!!!

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka: It's interesting to see that figures for Jan and Feb were comparable to most other years.

Yes, that's summer and not flu season.

Flu season doesn't start usually start till June (first month of winter) but as you can see, it surprised us last year and started early.

Last year (2019), I decided to wait as long as I could for the flu shot so that it would last through the winter. In both 2016 and 2017, I was the sickest in August and September. Great plan ... but I ended up getting very sick in April!! Then I had to wait until I was fully well to get the flu shot.

M in Oz

Oh! Silly me! I forgot about the fact that those figures are for Australia, and that your summer is our winter. 😂
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Michele: I have soak my masks in almost boiling water, no soap or conditioner. every time they have been used, and hang them up to dry. They always smell fresh, and the boiling water kills any virus)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are with all you ladies in California.💖. My daughter in laws family is still in Vacaville CA, and is ready to evacuate if it when the order is given. Praying for rain!
    💖Rebecca

Praying for your daughter in laws family. Vacaville has been hit and continues to be hit hard right now.
    Still trying to get more updates. There are the two big ones up here with a new one closer to us that just started this afternoon in Yountville.

Debbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the fires! Stay safe!!

Australia had bad fires again this year in January (summer).

And as some of you may recall me mentioning, in the summer (February 2009) before I moved to Australia , there was a really awful bushfire. The Victorian Bushfires - Black Saturday Fires. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires
    173 people died in that fire, and my husband was right in the midst of it all. He lost his home and narrowly escaped with his life.

When I moved to Australia that June, we lived for a year in a shack at the back of a property about 2 km "off the grid". The shack had survived the fire, but trees were burnt all around.

I ended up working in bushfire recovery for a couple years.

These big fires bring back all sorts of memories. :(

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    💖Rebecca

Praying for your daughter in laws family. Vacaville has been hit and continues to be hit hard right now.
    Still trying to get more updates. There are the two big ones up here with a new one closer to us that just started this afternoon in Yountville.

Debbie

Thanks for mentioning Vacaville ... I just sent a note to a friend of mine there. They are packed and ready to go.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🟢🧡🔵💚🟡💛
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    💖Rebecca

Debbie

Thanks for mentioning Vacaville ... I just sent a note to a friend of mine there. They are packed and ready to go.

M in Oz

my Zumba instructor lives there- got right to their back yard- both her car and her daughters are totally gone. We have a few other friends that have been evacuated. Praying they don't loose their homes. One moved his mom from her place(she is 93 and lives on the farm by herself) to his place then got the evacuation warning for his place.
    Travis Air Force Base just south of Vacaville is also under evacuation

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2020/08/20/travis-air-force-base-orders-evacuations-following-lnu-lightening-complex-fire/?utm_campaign=Socialflow+AIR&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1xkhgKP3RyHqtbBwVQSgKvlJ5bd1jO0Qy3ea1AsQQDMcq7-FewTrnLaIQ
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Friend just posted this:
    dir493p82gp6.png
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    These two pictures are from the Sonoma County Fire- that is where all my family/friends are. Vacaville/Fairfield is getting hit almost as bad.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) Looking for something good to read? Here is a list of memoirs that I recommend:
    *Backyard Parables by Margaret Roach
    *Family Trust by Kathy Wang
    *Capital Gaines by Chip Gaines
    *The Year of Less by Cait Flanders
    *Learning to Breathe by Alison Wright
    *Hungry Monkey by Mathew Amster-Burton
    *Delancy by Molly Wizenberg
    *10% Happier by Dan Harris
    *Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley
    *Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
    *Not Buying It by Judith Levine
    *Quiet by Susan Cain
    *Find a Way by Diana Nyad
    *My Old Man and the Mountain by Leif Whittaker
    *Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
    *You Had Me at Woof by Julie Klam
    *Year of No Sugar by Eve Schaub
    *What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami
    *Drop Dead Healthy by A.J. Jacobs
    *A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg
    *Stealing Buddha's Dinner by Bich Minh Nguyen
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Terri – I soaked my mask in boiling water with fabric softener in the water

Vince is watching the Democratic thing right now and, honestly, I really don’t want to listen

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-
    Kirby did a ride on the trainer and yogi and I went on our first long walk

Long walk w/ yogi- 1hr 28min 34sec, 3.6ap, 111mhr, 5.36mi= 626c
    Apple Watch- 495c
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Annie - the BC government put out an article on how to navigate dating during Covid. I’m sure if you googled you could find it. Some of it was quite surprising.

Lanette - we had a lighter weight drying rack and it wasn’t useful for anything heavy. Depending on use a sturdier one may be better.

Suzi - you asked me about HR the other day. Unfortunately our HR lady is a very nice lady, but she doesn’t stand up for the staff, as a matter of fact she has thrown at least two of us under the proverbial bus. Anything we tell her goes straight to the boss. I understand she is trying to keep her own job but she doesn’t understand HR and is really just a recruiter.

Heather - glad to hear the meds are working.

Barbara - that was good of Joe to actually contact the doctor. Eyes are very important.

I was married at 18, 3 months before I turned 19. I wasn’t legal drinking age yet. I was not pregnant, I was in love. We have been married 33 years this past June.

Faye - The males aren’t on here they are just on MFP. I delete at least one friend request a week from random males. They need to find Tinder I think.

Heather - Edie is adorable. Football always catches me off guard for a minute and then I remember that Football in Europe is our soccer.

Tina - I find I go on tangents for baking and they usually stop as fast as they started. When we first moved into the place we are now I have more than quadrupled our counter space and I baked and baked. Got a lot of baking stuff for Christmas that year and have rarely baked since.

Michele - the year my Grandfather retired there were 4 men all the same age. The other three were all gone within the year. My Grandfather swore it was because they didn’t have anything to do and didn’t stay busy. I think he was right from what I’ve seen since.

I went back to work today after a nice extra long weekend. I really have to struggle to get through the day. I hope something changes soon.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Terri – I soaked my mask in boiling water with fabric softener in the water

Michele NC

Couldn't you use borax ... like how we get the smell out of polyester exercise clothes?

I wouldn't use fabric softener.

M in Oz