WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) My big yarn order came today and I happily continuing to knit my blanket for Project Linus. I am fussy about brand, weight, and color of yarn so it pleases me to have found a place where I can order exactly what I want.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

Where are you ordering your yarn from? I'm quite particular myself. Typically Red Heart yarns. Currently I'm on a journey to use up a stockpile of donated yarn. Some of it is impossible to work with but I feel compelled to give it my best try. It's donated to our PL chapter and the ladies automatically pass it on to me.

Cheri
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did an hour on the Smart Strider. To me, this piece of equipment is like an elliptical. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Pulse Yoga Express DVD

Motivation: I saw a picture of me from the backside and almost died. I looked so wide. To this day I no longer wear anything with a vertical line. But that didn’t address the whole issue. I needed to lose the weight to look decent in pictures

Viv UK
    – ouch!!! Get better fast. Yes, keep moving, you are doing the right thing

Carol GA
    – thanks for the smile this morning. Happy Birthday!!!

Lisa – my grandmother had one of those ringer washers. Thanks for the memories. Haven’t thought of it in years. And, of course, hanging it on the line. And if it was raining, hanging it all over the house, every door had something hung over it

Soup kitchen today. They just called from Food Lion and want me to stop there for my shirt and to see my schedule for next week.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Well Ladies, today I turned 72 years young! No special plans except I splurged on beef tenderloins to grill for dinner.

Carol in GA

Happy Birthday!

• Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    Soup kitchen today. They just called from Food Lion and want me to stop there for my shirt and to see my schedule for next week.

Michele NC

Have fun!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Happy birthday to Carol!
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Michele I work up a sweat reading your exercise routines. That hour on the Smart Strider has me exhausted.
  • Machka9
    edited August 2020
    Friday -- Took today off work.

Up at the same time as usual to take my husband for his MRI. He was nervous and had started getting upset about it on the bus ride there, and I was tired because I got about 6 hours sleep. I had emailed the referral and they indicated they received it, but they misplaced the email and it took them a while to find it. But they did eventually. Nevertheless that upset him more. So he was not happy by the time we got out of there.

On the way back home, we stopped in at Big W for cat supplies and then Banjos for lunch. Those things cheered my husband up. :)

He kept telling me he wasn't tired, but by the time we got home just after noon, he was ready for a nap. That worked well for me because I was able to work on my uni assignment ... the reason I took the day off in the first place.

At about 11:35 pm tonight ... I submitted it!! Yay!

My group members were helpful, especially 2 of the 3. We were constantly chatting to each other from about 5 pm until I submitted it, discussing formatting, spelling and grammar, and content ... and working on it. If we got marks for effort, we should do well. That is the first of three assignments so fingers crossed we a) pass and b) do at least reasonably well.

Now I have no work and no uni for the weekend! :smiley:

What on earth am I going to do with myself? ;)

Oh wait. :neutral:

I've got that other project I'm working on ... and a hockey game to go to ... and exercise. I might try to get some exercise in.

But tonight I'll read my book a bit and then sleep in tomorrow. :) It's just after midnight so I'll commence that shortly.

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Michele: Your towel topper is great! :star:

Beth: Good news for your son! You’ll likely both be thrilled that he is home. :bigsmile:

Heather: I’m sorry your son had a battle of wills & disobedience with the grandchildren. I hope he is able to deal with their defiance. It is definitely NOT OK. Max seems to be a bright child with good sense about when to be compliant. :noway:

Carol in GA: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I love the “C-NILE and D-NILE” spoiler. :bigsmile:

(((Lisa))) So sorry for what your mom went through. The good news is that you found an excellent marriage partner and are able to live a happy and productive life with a caring husband. :heart:

Machka: Happy for your accomplishment for turning in the first of three assignments. A weekend off is wonderful. :star:

The dog and I were up early and DH is still in bed as far as I know. I’ll see about taking him a thermos of coffee.

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    My motivation to lose weight has always come down to vanity, however I never seem to get the "stick to it" that I need to go along with it. I really need to start losing again, I am not happy with how my clothes fit or how I look.

Heather - Oh defiance, what a fun time. I hate how we as adults have to break their little wills at times. Will they replay the talk that your DIL did?

Lisa - I can't imagine doing laundry for 6 on a washboard! The women before us were strong women! I bet your Mother enjoyed those last years of her life. My Mom had a wringer washer and I remember helping her with it. We used Mrs. Stewart's Liquid Bluing in the rinse tub. My Grandmother was Mrs. Stewart and I was sure it was hers alone. I found a bottle at an antique store a couple years ago and now it sits in my bathroom.

Faye - Masks, hand washing and don't touch your face, that is what we are told in every meeting at work here in the nursing home. Masks are very important to protect others, shields protect the wearer but are not effective without a mask.

Carol - Happy Birthday!

It is Friday! I am so happy to type that. I need to get through today and then I am off until next Thursday.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    Laundry I wish I had a washboard! Lol. Since COVID, I’ve been washing my clothes by hand and hang drying outside. Being in the desert, they dry in about an hour. No laundromat for us right now. DH and I both think it’s not safe. I don’t mind doing it that way-good exercise! No room in RV for one. Not sure how long I will keep this up, but for now works. Think I’ll look on amazon for a washboard!

RvRita
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Happy Birthday Carol!!

Okie
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    91gu3sq3xo4b.jpeg Carol!!

Found washboards on Amazon! I’m amazed! Ordered one.

Today is August 14, 2020:
    1. Social Security Day- US
    2. Emancipation Day- UK and Ireland
    3. Navajo Code Talkers Day- US
    4. National Creamsicle Day- US
    5. Gerakan Pramuka Day- Indonesia — Gerakan Pramuka Indonesia (Indonesian Scout Movement) is the national Scouting organization of Indonesia. Scouting was founded in the Dutch East Indies in 1912, and Indonesia became a member of the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) in 1953. Its membership is compulsory for students.[1] It has 21,599,748 members (as of 2011),[2] making it the world's largest Scout association. Each year August 14 is celebrated as Pramuka Day to honor the organization's first public parade.
    6. RSPCA Cupcake Day—Australia
    7. National Day - Pakistan
    8. Independence Day— Pakistan

Enjoy your creamsicles with a cupcake!

RvRita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    ]]]
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    wizzywig wrote: »
    Still catching up :(

I strained my back yesterday exercising! :o Who knew you had to be fit to exercise :D It's my own fault, I should have started with a lower weight for the lifting (to strengthen my back ironically) thankfully I didn't do too many lifts, but I can hardly move this morning. Need to keep moving - slowly.

Seems a lot of you are already thinking about Christmas and the talented amongst you are crafting away with gift ideas. Can't seem to get my head around Christmas yet though.

Hopefully the weather will stay fine this evening (thunderstorms have been predicted around the country) as I'm meeting up with friends to celebrate one of their birthdays. Joan has kindly offered her garden for the event and we'll have nibbles, wine and cake - seems we have a few birthdays in July/August this will be the third birthday, good job I like cake :) I'll have a small slice as I don't want to undo all my good work - it's taken me ages to lose a few pounds and it is oh so easy to put them back on.

Love to all <3
    Viv UK

I started thinking about Christmas crafts because I want to keep sewing(after not sewing for many years-started in 4th grade). I have made over 200 masks and want something new to work on. I am hoping if I start now I will actually be ready by Christmas instead of feeling ready the week AFTER.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Well Ladies, today I turned 72 years young! No special plans except I splurged on beef tenderloins to grill for dinner.
    9fsnbztu15xx.jpg

Lisa ~ My mom had one of those wringer washing machines when I was very little. I remember all the time diapers (5 children) had to be hung on the line to dry during rainy, cold winter days. Finally got washer and dryer to do the job.

Carol in GA

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROL
    Hope you have a wonderful birthday weekend.

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yeah CAROL! :drinker: 72 years young! :flowerforyou:

For those who are interested, all the BBC stuff can be found on the radio app called SOUNDS. Woman's Hour has the episode, today 14th. Or maybe you can find it just by Google. :) She is on with two other women after the half hour mark. At first the presenter called her Jessica, but soon realised and switched to Jessamy. She sounds a bit nervous to start with. :)<3 It is a difficult thing for her to do as she is not a natural performer. The other speakers were more relaxed.
    It's a bit strange for me as her surname is my ex husband 's, of course! I changed my name back to my maiden name when I divorced and did not change it again to my current husband's because I like my own better! It is my writing name, so previously I had two names and found it confusing.

We had a wringer when I was a child. I remember nearly getting my fingers caught in it when I was 'helping'. I loved watching the sheets coming out so flat. It seemed miraculous. My mother must have just washed them in the kitchen sink.

Duck legs tonight. Roasted cauliflower.

The temperature is back to normal, but the sky is grey and miserable. However, it feels lovely to me! :D We haven't had the promised thunderstorms here yet. Floods in Scotland and other places. We have just had a sprinkle of rain. I have even got my socks back on! Hooray!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    93yjqz8b5pun.jpeg

On the left: from Costco in Tacoma Washington- Irish country cream in a plastic bottle. 1.5 liter, 13.9% alcohol

On the fight: from Costco in Fresno California- Irish cream liqueur in a glass bottle. 1.75 liter, 17% alcohol
    We put some in our coffee in the morning
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    edited August 2020
    Happy Birthday Carol!💖. ( still have a big chunk of son's cake left) hands us a fork!😁
    Thanks for being YOU, I appreciate our friendship!💖
    💖Rebecca
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    bmbn28obdlix.jpg

shzx0zsobu1a.png