Right age to get married??

Options

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I got married at 26 but have no issues with anyone wanting to marry earlier. It depends what your goals and priorities are. If they are all about you, don't get married til you are ready to sacrifice a bit. I never had a career in mind, wanted to be a mom and take care of my kids, so once I found the right guy, we got married and are still happily married almost 15 yrs later, 3 kids and no regrets.
  • Ready4Changes
    Options
    i was 21 and haven't ever regretted it. We are still married 20 years later with 3 kids. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P.S.: Marriage doesn't mean babies for everyone. :) And certainly not immediately. It always boggled my mind how people get married and instantly pop out kiddos. Don't you want to enjoy your marriage, kid-free, for at LEAST a year or two?

I was with my wife for 2 years before marriage and another 5 years married before she got pregnant (planned). I do agree that the couple should enjoy each other for a few years prior to having kids.
  • Theorrs1105
    Options
    I got married at 19 and we have been married for a year now. We just knew that we were going to get married either way and went ahead and done. My grandmother married my grandfather when she was 15 (she was NOT pregnant) and they have been together 41 years now and still happy :)
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    After you have finished college or trade school or settled in your career of choice and have most of the partying out of your system - whatever age that is.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's whenever you meet the right person and the time is right for you indivdually. However, the range I alway said for myself (I'm 23) was over 26-30 or so. Same for kids (if I decide I want them). The ideal situation would be closer to my late 20's so that I am done with my doctorate degree and have traveled the world already. :-)
  • MrsPike07
    Options
    I was 22 when I married my husband. Granted it was young but I had a little girl when I was 19 and had been through so much already that I wanted to settle down and get married. I wouldnt change it for the world. I love being a stay at home Mom, it is very rewarding knowing that I am the reason my girls are so smart and well behaved. I work hard everyday as most of you do at your jobs, I just prefer to do this in the house. It's a "to each their own" kinda thing I guess. :smile:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    For me, I hope to get married by the time I'm 26-28. Which sucks because I'm already 24! Alot can happen in a few years though. :noway: The reason: I don't want to be having children when I'm 35-40 years old.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I got married right before my 23rd birthday. Age was irrelevant. We knew we were going to eventually get married. Already living together, had begun our careers, made decent mula, and I have this big white gown... so what the hey!

Pretty much this to a T.

We got engaged when I was 19. (GASP! right?) By then we had already been together for years. We were married right after my 21st birthday. We have been together now for almost 11 years, and married for almost 6. Two kids.. couldnt be happier. I always knew i would get married young, so it didnt really phase me. If you think that you might be ready, you aren't. When you are, you will know without a doubt.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    It depends on your maturity. We change so much from teen years, to our 20's and than into our 30's. We might want something at 19 or 20, but when we hit our 30's have we changed so much that we don't want the same things anymore? I was married in my mid 30's and I feel like I really lived a lot during my single years and am happy to be stettled in.

But everyone is different....lol
  • sammys1girly
    Options
    I got married at 21 , had 2 great kids and now im 43, my kids are grown up and I go and do all those things you want to do before you want kids, I would personaly would hate to be 50+ years old with teenagers, I love my life, living it to the max and im still young enough to enjoy it.

Wouldnt change a thing

Stu

I agree. I also wonder about people who get married later b/c they want to do all the thing for "them" and work hard at the career and then want to have kids when they hit late 30's, spend tons of money on ivf, and are parents into their late 60's to kids still at home. By the time my youngest is 18, I will be just over 50 and ready to enjoy time with my husband, traveling and being a grandma :smile:
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    It all depends on how mature you are to enter into that kind of commitment, it's great that you want to travel and do all of things but not everyone has those ambitions (not me personally) some people are content with having a quiet life with a husband and some kids, ain't nothing wrong for that. As for me I'm getting married October 2012 I will be a month shy of 27 when we get married, we have been together for 8 years at our wedding 9 years so we waited a very long time to make sure it was right, and it was worth the wait!
  • dvarrassi12
    Options
    I'm 23 and engaged, but will not be married until I'm 24; we've had a 2 year engagement. I truly believe it depends on the individuals. Also, just because you're married doesn't mean you're having kids. I have no intention of popping any out until I'm 30 or older. I've been with my fiance for 4 years and have lived with him for a little over a year now. Marriage at this point is just a piece of paper, we might as well already be married.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    it depends on the person for sure. i have been with my bf since i was 14...so after 9 years of being together, i have been ready for marriage for quite a while now. but i am not in a rush either. but just because you are getting married doesn't mean that you have to have children right away, just a thought. i don't plan on having kids for another 7 years or so lol. i dont think marriage would really change anything if you are in a good relationship -- to me it is really just a title and a reason for a fancy celebration :P
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    NEVER

unless you really want to have kids. thats the only good reason i see for a man to get married
    Amen (except, you know... for women too)

my bad, original quote edited :)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    P.S.: Marriage doesn't mean babies for everyone. :) And certainly not immediately. It always boggled my mind how people get married and instantly pop out kiddos. Don't you want to enjoy your marriage, kid-free, for at LEAST a year or two?

Some couple would say yes. For some crazy reason, I wanted to have a child after we got married. Wouldn't change it for the world. They've made me into the person I am today, but with less hair :laugh:
  • sammys1girly
    Options
    I was 22 when I married my husband. Granted it was young but I had a little girl when I was 19 and had been through so much already that I wanted to settle down and get married. I wouldnt change it for the world. I love being a stay at home Mom, it is very rewarding knowing that I am the reason my girls are so smart and well behaved. I work hard everyday as most of you do at your jobs, I just prefer to do this in the house. It's a "to each their own" kinda thing I guess. :smile:

Amen!:smile:
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It takes a type of maturity that I think a lot of young people lack these days. I know older couples that got married young and have been happily married ever since and I know people who got married at 18 and divorced by 19. If you have goals achieve them first but, do not shut out the possibility of finding love. I personally am engaged at 22 and was on my way to school and a career when my fiance got really sick with something serious so I dropped out to take care of him and make sure he knows I am here for him. You are right, you need to be a certain type to have the dedication that marriage requires.A lot of young people ( and grant it I am only 23) are still at a selfish phase. Sometimes they cheat or want things that they cant have because they are married and the marriage fizzles. I think you should have alone time always before you decide to start opening yourself up to marriage. Living alone, traveling , school etc. or else you might find yourself wanting to "find yourself" while married and then you see yourself somewhere else in life without a ball and chain and boom divorce.
  • laurad1406
    Options
    as an unmarried (but also never divorced!) 26 year old in a very serious relationship, not getting married young was right for me. In my late teens and early 20s i THOUGHT i was a mature adult and ready, But truth be told I feel like a completely different person now than I was then. I have learned so much in the last 4 years or so. And as much as I love babies and can't wait to have them (eventually!) I'm so glad i did not miss out on that time.
  • houzkat
    Options
    I got married at 22. Would I suggest that all 22 year olds are ready for marriage? Heck no. But I met my husband when I was 19 and it was right for us. BUT we decided 5 years seemed a reasonable time to wait on having children since we married so young.