August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    You know, I was just thinking this morning that he hadn’t posted in a couple of days and that it was strange. 😢

I had noticed it was oddly quiet.

How do you mourn someone you never met, but talked with regularly, who was an inspiration and always had the best advice? "do as I say, not as I do".
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,104 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @kgirlhart So glad your dad is doing better and enjoyed his birthday video chat! Hope he gets back to rehab today.

Welcome @WandaVaughn ! We're a chatty group, so be prepared.

I saw about @PastorVincent on another thread. I can't believe it. So sad. I'm also totally shocked and devastated. My heart goes out to his family. @Camaramandy648 Maybe you can reach out to his family on FB to let them know how much we all cared for him and are devastated to hear of his passing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    That's shocking and heartbreaking. 😢
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Beautiful words @Camaramandy648. I’ve just woken up in London and read the news about @pastorvincent and I feel sick with shock. He was the backbone of this board. So much knowledge, unfailing support, brilliant sense of humour, and kind, judgement-free advice.

A devastating loss.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Nicely worded @Camaramandy648 - I would suggest maybe giving her the link to this group if she wants to check it out, as well as the Strava group and the FB page. She may take comfort in all the friends he had 'virtually' from this group.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks for writing that @Camaramandy648 . Put into words the things I didn't know how to say.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Nicely worded @Camaramandy648 - I would suggest maybe giving her the link to this group if she wants to check it out, as well as the Strava group and the FB page. She may take comfort in all the friends he had 'virtually' from this group.

This. I suspect that he talked about us with her, and if she wanted to drop in, we would be here for her.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

This. I suspect that he talked about us with her, and if she wanted to drop in, we would be here for her.

My news feed freaked me out by telling me he logged in for the xxxx day in a row earlier, so maybe she or his son are reading. I hope they are/do, so they get an idea of how much we all appreciated him. He was such a wonderful person, I hope they can at least find some small comfort from knowing that he meant so much to so many.

My heart hurts, and only you folks can understand why. Why the hell is it always the good ones that have to go?
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

My news feed freaked me out by telling me he logged in for the xxxx day in a row earlier, so maybe she or his son are reading. I hope they are/do, so they get an idea of how much we all appreciated him. He was such a wonderful person, I hope they can at least find some small comfort from knowing that he meant so much to so many.

My heart hurts, and only you folks can understand why. Why the hell is it always the good ones that have to go?

If his family are reading then I hope they can get a sense of what a massive part be played here - how respected and liked he was, and how horribly he will be missed by strangers from all over the world.

I ran 10K this morning and thought of him with every tough hilly section, every joyous breeze on a flat section, and as the sun emerged from the clouds. Rest in Peace @PastorVincent x
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,543 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I know. Same.

@quilteryoyo I decided to go ahead and write to his wife. I hope this is all okay with everyone. Here is what I wrote:

Hi, Kristi!

You don’t know me at all. I am writing on behalf of the entire My Fitness Pal Monthly Runninga Challenge group. Vincent ismy friend on Facebook and I saw your post, so I was able to share the news of his passing with them.

We all wanted to let you know what a light he is to us. He still is. He was a friend, Coach, mentor, counselor, comedian, and pastor. We all love him so much.

As well, we are so deeply sorry for your loss. Everyone is concerned for you and your son. He loved you two so deeply. I am sure you know that. We are so, so, so very sorry for what you are carrying now, as well as the grief. I know that I am not alone when I say that there is almost nothing we wouldn’t do for you and your son. Should you have a need, please do let me know. There are so many of us and we are all over the world- we can make something happen.

Your husband was my friend. So much my friend and so much my mentor. I cannot imagine how you must be feeling and I, personally, am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and your son. Even my kids know about Vincent and they keep coming to give me hugs while I am bawling over packing their lunches. That is to say - I truly cannot imagine how you must feel if this is how I feel. I hope that makes sense.

My runs for the coming weeks will be in memory of Vincent and in honor of you and your son.

With so much love,

Mandy and the My Fitness Pal Monthly Running Challenge group

Thank you @Camaramandy648 - I have a leg issue but screw it, 5k for @PastorVincent coming up