WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Machka - I do most of those, but The Perpetuator is probably the nearest. Great visual aide. :D

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Praying for those in the path of Laura. Machka - I hope your brother evacuated. Laura came on shore as a Cat 4, but was very close to a Cat 5. The eye was over Lake Charles when I took this picture off of the TV (The Weather Channel). Revision - I am happy to hear your brother and family evacuated Machka! The sun still is not up so the weather peeps and officials are unable to see the actual damages yet.

m73uh6oidhi5.png

Katla - The entire state of FL is OK. The storm is too far away to have any real effect upon us. Some very far from the center bands are coming through which is the equivalent of a small rain shower with a little breeze. Which is a typical rainy season type of day.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Praying for those in the path of Laura. Machka - I hope your brother evacuated. Laura came on shore as a Cat 4, but was very close to a Cat 5. The eye was over Lake Charles when I took this picture off of the TV (The Weather Channel). Revision - I am happy to hear your brother and family evacuated Machka! The sun still is not up so the weather peeps and officials are unable to see the actual damages yet.

They're still waiting for the storm surge.

My brother is in Baton Rouge and his estranged wife and kids are in Houston, so they're all out of the way.

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Morning air at 50 degrees for 3 AM patio bikini workout. The time for leggings is nearing. A bit chilly enjoying my 20g protein shake bikini-clad on the patio after the workout. News about hurricane Laura is good but much better than expected. Lake Charles took a full force beating but hurricane now down to category 2 and soon reducing to a tropical storm. Wonderful morning for hot coffee and acoustic guitar practice. I wish I had my old Fender and amp. I would get even with the young folks next door that partied till 1 AM. The modern music isn't my favorite but more tolerable than hearing someone puking and the smell of their smoldering firepit. I try to remember I was young once but living in the county I didn't disturb neighbors, so I try to think of other reasons not to be an old witch. I hate shutting my windows when the air is nice except for their pollution.

l3c1t72ow3ri.png
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 I do most of those procrastinating things. :D:'(

WASPS we have an unusual amount here in france this year with at least 2x as many requests for pest help,
    according to a recent news article. This month I've often been in cafés and restaurants with many wasps where usually there are none.
    -warmer winter allowed them to live and proliferate better
    - the confinement allowed them to live and proliferate better
    - at least some pest control companies or workers understandably didn't want to work this year or part of this year due to COVID.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Lanette wait until dusk to spray. They are out roaming getting food during the day. They return to the nest at night.

Drew stepped on a ground nest of wasp. Scared me. By the time I got her to the vet she recovered. I think she was only stung once. They are aggressive.

I have a group trying to make one on son's deck. I keep spraying it down. I am not there in the evening so I just keep spraying it with a spray bottle with peppermint oil.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Lanette wait until dusk to spray. They are out roaming getting food during the day. They return to the nest at night.

Drew stepped on a ground nest of wasp. Scared me. By the time I got her to the vet she recovered. I think she was only stung once. They are aggressive.

I have a group trying to make one on son's deck. I keep spraying it down. I am not there in the evening so I just keep spraying it with a spray bottle with peppermint oil.

Margaret - ordinarily I would have waited until right before sunup when it's in the 40's here, but most of them were on the nests late afternoon so I took my chances. I did see a few show up several hours later, hopefully they got a whiff and won't come back.

The nests were right over the pathway where I take the dogs and I was concerned DH would walk out there to inspect his woodpile or try to spray them himself. He probably would have been fine but with his balance iffy, there's no way he could have run if they'd have turned on him.

I just went out and knocked down the nests, gathered them up and put them in the trash. I will hit the nest in the porch light in a few minutes.

Last year bald faced hornets made a nest under our deck and one stung Rosie. She was OK, thankful I had benadryl on hand. I had to squirm under the deck and managed to spray the nest. Luckily they didn't repeat that location this year. These are the ones that make the huge paper nests that look like balloons - I normally see them in trees. Haven't seen any this year. They are vicious but as long as they leave us alone and keep their nests away from the house, they are welcome.

Glad Drew was OK.

Our neighbor has/had a ground nest of them and finally eliminated them with hornet spray and as a last resort - diesel fuel (he did NOT light it! :#) My walking friend and I are lucky we didn't get attacked since it's right by the road but we go early when its still cool and the nasty buggers aren't very active yet.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Thinking about our friends who are in the paths of Mother Nature's wrath...

I woke up yesterday morning with sciatica bad enough that my right foot was numb and dragging. First time my husband's seen that was when he came in the kitchen about 5 a.m. He was a titch unhappy with me. So, I sat down for the rest of the day yesterday and just stopped. I wrote, I read, I did nothing all morning, then at 1 p.m., took a nap. Woke up about 3 p.m., and the pressure was completely off my sciatic nerve. Just a little lingering achiness in the muscle. Of course, that meant Corey was able to say, "I told you so!" but I'll give him that one for free.

Gingerly got up this morning, still no nerve screaming at me. Can't do outside yardwork anyway, as it's still raining, but I will hit the elliptical here shortly While getting old has its sucky moments, it continues to be better than the alternative.

B)

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa, 1). Glad you are not in the direct path of Laura. 2). Glad your piriformis loosened up. Do you own a “thumper”? I might have asked you that before. Hurts so good.

>>>

Went to the neurologist with my spouse this morning. He is pretty sure she has post-anesthesia cognitive deficit. Plus nerve damage from the local. Both may improve with time. It’s already been 9 months, though. She will undergo neuropsych testing. All I can say is it’s better than Parkinson’s or dementia or a brain tumor, all of which were possibilities.

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Good morning peeps! :)

Rori - so glad to read you are getting a caregiver for your DH to give you a bit of respite. <3 Sorry to hear about your DH wandering, glad you found him quickly.

Pip - How did you find such a perfect place? I don't recall you and Kirby going on an apartment hunting journey. Love the decorating and Yogi's patio. ;)

California gals - glad to read the fire and smoke is abating in some areas.

SuziQ
    - glad you aren't in Hurricane Laura's path. I have a couple friends quite a ways north of Lake Charles LA, I don't think they were in the evacuation area - I'm sure they'll still get plenty of wind. Last I heard the chainsaws were ready and the generator had plenty of fuel.

I was attacked by a hornet a couple days ago, he stung me in the upper arm and still hurts. It was unprovoked so I am on the warpath. Yesterday I found three nests under the potting shed eaves where the little buggers were swarming, once they settled down I gave them a good dose of hornet spray and that took care of most of them. I think there's a nest in the porch light right beside the back door which is going to get a good squirt too right before the sun comes up when it's too cold for them to fly/retaliate.

Wasps and hornets are generally very beneficial but they chose the wrong place. :|

ON that note, will close for now. Make it a good day!

Lanette B)
    Chilly SW WA State

All Kirbys research in finding the right place. I wrote a list of what we wanted, what we must have and location. We came for the marathon on year and that’s when we squeezed in apartment shopping, so we could see what we were viewing online. When it came down to actually renting one we could only pick out of the ones that were available when we were going to get here. We were needing something available aug 1st and the closest thing was this one July 19. They gave us a break and started charging us rent beginning July 21st or 24th. There was one available but kirby didn’t want to settle for older fixtures, in the kitchen, and a redone one wouldn’t have been available in time so this one won out. On this won, we settled for carpet in the bedrooms and garage that’s not attached, but it’s pretty close.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    The blind man came and put my new blind up. Working perfectly so far! Without a glitch I told DH that I was paying for it with the returned deposit money for the river cruise. That means I pay half. He wasn’t keen on the whole idea, so I'm happy with that. He didn't demur.

Went out in the spitting rain to our tiny supermarket. Got a trolley full of veggies and fruit plus a few other things.
    I'm going to make a Laksa for dinner, but not too hot for DH. I can add extra chilli to mine. Salmon for the protein. And all the left over veg from the bottom of the fridge. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx feeling a little weary.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    Im up with Faith ,my brother is coming home this afternoon to watch Faith tomorrow as i have to go to the DMV to finally get my license renewed..
    Watching a very Brady renovation...its making me cry 50 yrs ago can you believe it
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Lisa This morning is the first day in three weeks my lower back isn't sore from my last sciatic nerve attack. I hope yours is better soon. I used to do special exercises and heat/cold therapy, but just stayed on my normal routine but a gentler version this time and finally it is gone. I have no idea what caused the last flare-up. Do you do anything special to relieve it?

Lanette & Margaret I don't mind a good bee sting, but wasp and hornets can make me extremely sick. I was in my walking sports "get up" with arm compression sleeves for my aching elbows and wrist when I noticed cobwebs hanging all over my door. Took my fly swatter and knocked them out of my way. I noticed a wasp nest up higher. I knocked it flying and then realized I was surrounded by many wasps. I had locked myself out. I got stung on one arm through the compression sleeve and that made me go nuts.

I killed 27 of them with the swatter and one got in my sports bra so I slapped my left boob killing it, but dropped two cups sizes from the violent blow and then one hit my face and I slapped myself so hard I went sideways for a few feet before getting my balance. I took off running to the side gate that I keep locked so I attempted a vault over it, catching one bra strap in one of the pickets as I descended, breaking that thin strap where it joined the back. I got up with left bra cup fabric hanging exposing my now aching boob and started my limp to my back door when I heard my neighbor's old deep gravelly voice, "You ok over there Lady Faye?" "Just frickin dandy," I whimpered and continued to my back door where I had a spare key in a lockbox.

I sat there making no attempt to cover my boob (the one with the 3rd nipple). I was trying to overcome my daze so I could remember the code. I might as well confess. The old neighbor guy started calling me Lady Faye after he heard the rumor that I once windsurfed nude across the Snake River in the sand dunes area near Farewell Bend. I will neither admit nor deny it, as I kinda like being royalty.

b0g3rpdfjgjj.png

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)