WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    My scale came today so I started the sourdough. Sure hope it comes out OK

Faye – one thing you have to say for Rea, she has some good recipes if you need something rich for a gift. Otherwise, some things I wonder if you can make substitutions. OK, it won’t taste the same. But I many times wonder if you can use, say, milk instead of all the cream or a lower cal piece of meat. Do you really need all that pasta, can you substitute shirataki noodles? I honestly don’t know. But most of her recipes are good, just not very diet friendly. I just wish there was a cooking show for lower cal foods and substitutions.

Michele NC

Check out Ellie Krieger for healthier meals. She used to do some shows on Food Network. I have made several of her recipes and they are generally very tasty.

https://www.elliekrieger.com/

Faye - I haven't made it all the way to current yet, but am wondering if you tried the grand marnier in your coffee? I don't think it sounds good because that is an orange flavored liqueur. I'm wondering how it was.

The Pioneer Woman has some good recipes, but I find them to make far too much for 2 people. If I need to make something for a small crowd, I go to her recipes. She uses too much cheese too, in my opinion.

Michele - For substitutions, sometimes you can sub cream with whole milk and things like that, but it may affect the texture. I don't find it affects the taste so much. I often sub out ground beef with ground turkey. As for subbing pasta, most of the time it will affect the texture more than anything else. But you usually can sub a regular pasta in a baked dish, for example, with a lentil or rice pasta. I would not use a shirataki noodle in a baked noodle dish. I think they are just too delicate. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry if I repeated anything. I've got about 10 more pages to get to get caught up.

Tina in CA
  • ktmusher
    ktmusher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @GodMomKim I saw on our local news (Illinois) how hot it has been out west & that it is likely to continue. I don't know how you could do anything in that heat!! Take care of yourself!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    Yyyyy
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    ktmusher wrote: »
    @GodMomKim I saw on our local news (Illinois) how hot it has been out west & that it is likely to continue. I don't know how you could do anything in that heat!! Take care of yourself!

We are staying inside as much as possible- We are not used to this so don't have regular central air conditioning here- just two window units in son's room and husband's room. The humidity is what is really new for us.

Debbie
    Napa Valley
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Facebook is like my own personalised online magazine with stories about cycling and travel and beautiful homes and gardens and cats ... and a selection of people I like. :)

I like that I can customise it to see what I want to see.

M in Oz

That’s how I feel too.

:) Like a "one-stop-shop".

For those of you who don't use Facebook as if it were a magazine containing things you're interested in, where do you get articles and info about things you're interested in?

-- paper magazines delivered or from a shop?
    -- email magazines/newsletters?
    -- other??

I like having it all in one place so I can skim through and think, "I like that recipe, I'll save that one for later.", "cute meme about cats, I'll share that", "That's interesting about what they're doing in professional cycling this year". "what a clever use of little lights in the garden, I'll tell my husband about that". :)

The bulk of what appears in my newsfeed is magazine-like "news" ... and a bit of real news. I would miss having it all in one place like that and I hope FB stays around for that.

I'm also the Admin for a page and host a Group.

But I know that young people are moving over to SnapChat, Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp and WeChat. Facebook is often considered to be for the older folk.
    https://buffer.com/library/social-media-sites/
    https://www.civicwebmedia.com.au/australias-most-popular-social-media-sites-2020/

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Today is August 17, 2020
    National Honey Bee Day-US
    National Thrift Shop Day- US
    National Day -Indonesia
    Independence Day-Gabon

I wonder where Gabon is. Is anyone here from there or Indonesia?

RvRita
    n0y9fjpjbrd6.jpeg

A lot of Australians holiday in Indonesia ... Bali.

M in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ktmusher wrote: »

Debbie wrote:
    We are staying inside as much as possible- We are not used to this so don't have regular central air conditioning here- just two window units in son's room and husband's room. The humidity is what is really new for us.

Ktmusher and Debbie - I have to admit even 2 window units make me a bit jealous - but alas an almost 60 year old house that was built in a development for married military and expected to be temporary - it doesn't have the electrical to support much besides fans, which I do have. And I must work to pay the bills, I am taking a few days off from gardening but am embroidering and making bread to sell - I'll be cooking tonight starting at 3am as that is to be the coolest time. I only have 8 years to retirement (70 years old) and 6 years until the house is paid off - so I keep telling myself I can put up with anything for a finite amount of time.

Kim
    sweltering in heat and humidity 85 inside, 98 outside at almost 6pm
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump video. The plan for tomorrow is to do The Firm Max Cardio Burn DVD.

Annie – have a great evening

Submissively
    – welcome!

Lisa – I’m with you about Facebook. It brings too much heartbreak. I know from personal experience. I do like it, tho to keep in touch with certain people. That’s probably why I have so few “friends”

M – I kow this sounds really dumb, but how do you customize your FB account?

Debbie – TG they caught that shooter!

Wruper – NOT ACTIVE????? You probably meant that it’s an active support group

Rebecca – I am constantly amazed how many people will wear pants down here when the temp is very high. At Food Lion we’re supposed to wear black pants and when I went outside to get carts I was wishing I was wearing shorts. To me, I think that tattoos should have to be covered up. I was told that I should tuck my shirt in or roll it under so it looks like it’s tucked in, yet I see others with their shirt not tucked in. Don’t know what that’s all about. I just nod and go about what I think is best. One lady told me today that she gets carts from the parking lot at 11:00. I’m not going to go by the clock but by what needs to be done.

Worked, then in the pool, then the gym, then the Salvation Army, then bought gas, then Sam’s to get clamshell containers for the soup kitchen, then home. Glad I got our dinner ready to be microwaved before I went to work

Pip – the bedspread matches the end table very well. Good taste

Katla – I usually park in “no man’s land” whenever I go to the store

Actually, I’ve only unfriended one person, and that’s because I didn’t know how to make it so I could unfollow her. Otherwise, the only reason I’ve unfriended someone is because they’ve died

Drkatie – so great to see you again. Good luck in your new position, I know you’ll do great

Tina CA – it took me quite a while to get used to the texture of the shirataki noodles. But now that I’m used to it, I actually prefer them to regular spaghetti

When I fed the sourdough today, Vince said “that smells”. I just told him that it was supposed to smell. I usually keep a jar on the counter for grease, etc which has a lid so I just put the starter that you were supposed to get rid of in there so it doesn’t smell the house up

Mahjongg tonight! Just finished playing. I don’t know why, but I am so so tired tonight. Think I’ll probably go to bed early.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options

Michele NC

Many different ways!

I've "Liked"/Followed numerous pages of interest to me. Just this week, I added Australia's Better Homes and Gardens, for example. That way, I see things that interest me.

I've grouped the pages into topical Friend Lists so I can go to the ones I want to see rather than seeing the whole Newsfeed. I've heard that they may be getting rid of Friend Lists, but they haven't yet.

I save a lot of posts and have grouped them into topical collections so I can go in and browse a collection. For example, one collection is Food and there I've got the recipes I've saved.

You can "Snooze" people for 30 days if you're tired of seeing posts from them. You can unfollow them if you don't want to see them for an extended period of time. And then reconnect with them when you're ready. You can arrange it so you see certain people's posts more than others by selecting "See this person's post first". If you select several, then there will be a group you'll see more than other people. You can hide posts you don't want to see.

You can choose to see notifications so every time a certain person or page posts, you'll get a notification ... or choose not to get notifications. You can do that for individual posts or whole pages/people.

You can set your ad preferences ... and I check this about once every couple months.

You can choose to see Recent stories or Top stories.

You can set your Timeline and Tagging settings and all sorts of other settings.

You can block people and apps and all sorts. And unblock them if you decide you want them again.

There's just so much you can do!!

Every two or three months, I go through and double check my settings etc. and see what new or different features FB has added or changed.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I'm not a brilliant speller ... than goodness for spellcheck. So I had to smile at this!

5rykg4hz8mlw.png

M in Oz
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Tina CA – it took me quite a while to get used to the texture of the shirataki noodles. But now that I’m used to it, I actually prefer them to regular spaghetti

Michele NC

Michele - I just don't know how shirataki noodles would hold up in a baked ziti, for instance. They might just turn to mush.

Tina
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump video. The plan for tomorrow is to do The Firm Max Cardio Burn DVD.

Annie – have a great evening

Submissively
    – welcome!

Lisa – I’m with you about Facebook. It brings too much heartbreak. I know from personal experience. I do like it, tho to keep in touch with certain people. That’s probably why I have so few “friends”

Debbie – TG they caught that shooter!

Wruper – NOT ACTIVE????? You probably meant that it’s an active support group

Rebecca – I am constantly amazed how many people will wear pants down here when the temp is very high. At Food Lion we’re supposed to wear black pants and when I went outside to get carts I was wishing I was wearing shorts. To me, I think that tattoos should have to be covered up. I was told that I should tuck my shirt in or roll it under so it looks like it’s tucked in, yet I see others with their shirt not tucked in. Don’t know what that’s all about. I just nod and go about what I think is best. One lady told me today that she gets carts from the parking lot at 11:00. I’m not going to go by the clock but by what needs to be done.

Worked, then in the pool, then the gym, then the Salvation Army, then bought gas, then Sam’s to get clamshell containers for the soup kitchen, then home. Glad I got our dinner ready to be microwaved before I went to work

Pip – the bedspread matches the end table very well. Good taste

Katla – I usually park in “no man’s land” whenever I go to the store

Actually, I’ve only unfriended one person, and that’s because I didn’t know how to make it so I could unfollow her. Otherwise, the only reason I’ve unfriended someone is because they’ve died

Drkatie – so great to see you again. Good luck in your new position, I know you’ll do great

When I fed the sourdough today, Vince said “that smells”. I just told him that it was supposed to smell. I usually keep a jar on the counter for grease, etc which has a lid so I just put the starter that you were supposed to get rid of in there so it doesn’t smell the house up

Mahjongg tonight! Just finished playing. I don’t know why, but I am so so tired tonight. Think I’ll probably go to bed early.

Michele NC

Thanks! I bought those sheets just because they matched the bed. I bought the nightstands cuz they matched the bed!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Tina - I am with you I think the shirataki noodles would not bake well.

Kim
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: good step count Thursday, Friday decided to self-isolate ‘til after Joe recovers from second surgery, submitted fender bender claim, swept cobwebs, Saturday vacuumed, Sunday rx and live streamed church, Monday combed Tumble, adjuster phone interview, uploaded photos.
    Bonus: zoom Happy Hour with Tracie, zoom Coffee Klatsch with Barb, thank you email to BB&B instructor,
    Get to do: BB&B, call Secretary of State office re: change of information, Dr. Geraghty for scan, declutter keyboard, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Monday Altruistic August
    13: be kind to someone who annoys you, imagine how they’re feeling.
    14: try to bring a smile to as many people as possible
    15: cook your favorite food for someone who will appreciate it
    16: no plans, be kind to yourself
    17: make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone
    Well heckums I’d really be reaching to have done any of these. Reset starting tomorrow.

We’re back, and Joe’s vision is improving daily. He goes back by himself Friday for a follow up, then his other eye is tentatively scheduled for the following week. The precautions they took to prevent infection convinced me to self-isolate until after he heals from the second surgery, so no in person T’ai Chi, Line Dancing, Church, dog grooming, massage, chiropractor, nuthin' except a weekly early morning Fred Meyer’s run, and I’m considering letting go of my shopping pickiness to try click list/curbside pickup. Back to square one, or even zero. Thank Goodness for Zoom.

Beth thank goodness your son is home safe with you. Terrifying. Pity those who don’t have a loving advocate to look out for them.
    Michele thanks for the CR info. Fortunately we have an old Maytag top loader that seems to be impervious to vinegar :innocent:
    Belated very best birthday wishes Carol! C-Nile and D-Nile are not mutually exclusive here… :lol:
    Pip happy to see the lamp made it unharmed.
    Rita some of the off the grid clothes washing ideas might work for your RV lifestyle… would you have room for a bucket and a plunger?
    Barbie the Opening Day of Zucchini Season gave me a much needed laugh. Thanks!

Only through page 57 but zzzzzzzzzzzz
    Will update stats tomorrow.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=3979 vits=13 log=12 CI<CO=10 CI<250<CO=6 Tumble & Shadow 5=8 mfp=12 outside=6 up hill=5
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=1 dance=1 clean 30 mins=4-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=3 20for20=
    bonus: AF=8 play= sew=
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    B)