WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,785 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Facebook is like my own personalised online magazine with stories about cycling and travel and beautiful homes and gardens and cats ... and a selection of people I like. :)

I like that I can customise it to see what I want to see.

M in Oz

That’s how I feel too.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Today started out better than yesterday – no waking to the crack of thunder and a frantic dog…. But so little sleep last night, an in home low of 79 F is not good sleeping weather! But yesterday was 103 as a high and today is supposed to be “cooler” 98 – not really much help but I’ll take it.

Hugs to all who need it.

Heather – hope you and Johnny feel better quick!

Facebook- I use it as a place to put pictures of my embroidery on a business page, I have thought about converting to one of the other platforms but they all have variations of the same problems. Occasionally someone tries to engage me in some chatter on FB but I never see it as I just hop right to my business page a couple of times a month.

I have cancelled my gardening jobs for today-Wednesday and may cancel the end of the week ones too, I hate to do that but I just can not garden in that heat.

Kim from N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    (((Kim))): I don't blame you for cancelling your gardening jobs in such hot weather. Staying as cool as possible and hydrated is vital. Is it cooling off at all during the night so that you can sleep? In my experience, sleeping in excess heat is always hard. :flowerforyou:
  • ktmusher
    ktmusher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Morning! I've been sticking to my 1473 daily calories pretty good. Last week successfully cycled & walked at least 4 times! I've been adding recipes in here so entering my meals is a lot faster. I'm really kinda hooked on the calorie thing. If I get hungry between meals the first thing I try to do is drink water to see if my body is truly hungry or just thirsty. I probably drink anywhere from 50 ounces of water a day to maybe 80 ounces. I hope everyone is doing well. Stay happy & stay positive!! :)<3
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Facebook is like my own personalised online magazine with stories about cycling and travel and beautiful homes and gardens and cats ... and a selection of people I like. :)

I like that I can customise it to see what I want to see.

M in Oz

I like the idea that I have control and can delete what I post. My current life is not exciting enough for an online magazine presentation. I sure wish I could bike, but the loss of a balance nerve makes it dangerous. It also stopped my love of paddleboarding. Both great exercise and strength builders.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ktmusher wrote: »
    Morning! I've been sticking to my 1473 daily calories pretty good. Last week successfully cycled & walked at least 4 times! I've been adding recipes in here so entering my meals is a lot faster. I'm really kinda hooked on the calorie thing. If I get hungry between meals the first thing I try to do is drink water to see if my body is truly hungry or just thirsty. I probably drink anywhere from 50 ounces of water a day to maybe 80 ounces. I hope everyone is doing well. Stay happy & stay positive!! :)<3

KT Keep up the great routine! Welcome to this fun group.
    Faye - Pacific Northwest USA
    t3rd7no8gfp1.png
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Good morning- more thunderstorms this morning but just small one. Getting ready to try Zumba on Zoom with our regular teacher- she tried it before but needed better router or something. Need to get back at it. I have my daycare boy here so we will see how it goes.
    They caught the shooter of the young man at my husbands work. He is at work now so don't know any information. The Sheriff Dept- posted the young shooters picture. Thankful he was caught-
    Supposed to be hot again today and the next few days. The humidity is what is very different for us-
    Debbie
    Napa Valley
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    Been consoling myself with lots of foreign language videos on YouTube. Mainly German, but also Spanish. I'm practicing for my son's new Spanish au pair who arrives tomorrow. :D We won't see them for a while because of the quarantine,but we hope to have an outside pizza when she is clear. They will have her tested at the local centre.
    My Spanish is pretty good, because I went to evening classes for 5 years, I lived in Mexico for 6 weeks and Peru for 4 weeks. Plus lots of holidays in Spanish speaking countries. But I am not at all fluent now. Rusty and haven't actually spoken much for a while, just listened. :(

Still not normal.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • wruper
    wruper Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Guess this isn't a very active support group
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Taking a short break from work to catch up with everyone. I deserve it….I have been working since 6:00 am and it’s now 12:30. I have four more hours to go – it is a long Monday!

Heather – I hope you and DH are feeling better.

Lisa – Sorry to hear daughter is still upset. I am not quite sure why taking care of the children is so hard for people when the decide to have children. Yes, I do realize things come up and there are real emergencies, but having children is not for the faint of heart. I am glad I put off having them and then deciding all of that responsibility is just not my cup of tea. I hope she finds a workaround and starts calling again. Congrats on the continued weight loss. And, I have started to think about the same thing about FB – I have not been visiting it for a while now. And, there is so much trash……I wish people would have a conversation about their “views” versus the posting something and then running.

Katla – I think one of the reasons we are still the epicenter is due, in part, to your dear friends and their lack of concern. Please note it is the attitude of most here except for Counties where masks are mandatory. I never knew that about Springer Spaniels. I learn something every day. I am glad you were able to rehome him and he was able to live a good doggy life. It sounds like that darn parking lot has a very bad design. There is actually a shopping center near work that I will not go to because so many people get hit. And, it’s because of the design.

Lanette – I debated over getting a Fire tablet or the Kindle. I decided the Kindle because I used it just for reading and I like the screen color because it is very much like book paper. Enjoy your new toy!

Rita – Many congrats to your adopted daughter. She looks great (and very happy) in her uniform!

Debbie – So sorry to hear about the shooting and the loss of someone so young. I just do not get people and their lack of respect for other’s lives. So senseless.

Annie – Congratulations on the date! I hope it goes well.

Viv – Sorry about the leak and the missing of the repair person! That’s so frustrating. I tell all of the peeps to call me when they arrive.

Hugs to all and prayers to those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Good morning all! Ok (drumroll), I am wearing my shorts!

Son and I started "The Walking Dead" on Netflix last night. Its pretty good, but there's like 9 seasons!
    Made chicken stock yesterday, its already in the freezer in its ice cube trays. I am sure getting set in my ways eating wise. I tend to buy the same things that's for sure. But I know what I like!

💖Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

I love the Walking Dead. And, I have been wearing shorts since March....and I looked at my legs today and said, ooops, need a shave. But it has only been about a week or so.....LOL. I keep telling myself I will get on a schedule (one day), but it never really pans out! Heck they are "our" legs and we can do what we want with them!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Kim” Rita – which snake is that? First glance I thought western rattlesnake, but no rattle…”

It is a Bull Snake. They eat rattle snakes and are pretty harmless. Just pretty big and scary looking!

RV Rita
  • kevrit
    Options
    I’m not feeling up to par today either. Maybe if I go for a short walk I can get the yuk out of my system. Just want to sleep. Allergies bugging me to pray too. Probably what’s going on.

RV Rita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of you have been following the news about the exam furore in the UK. My nephew was one of those affected. He lost his first choice place and, now that the government have done a u turn, is still unlikely to get in there because the prestigious course is now full. Real life changing stuff.
    I am now waiting to hear from my brother what the current situation is. Southampton has accepted him, but in all of our opinions, except his mother, it is not a good idea to stay so near to home. He lives there.
    If he manages to go, he will be the first of that huge extended family. They are all very family and locally minded. No one has moved away. I had hopes for his sister, but her mental health was not robust enough. The complication with him is that he has been shielding all this time with coeliac. His mother wants him near. Going away is complicated in that situation.
    Wishing him well. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    Options
    Today is August 17, 2020
    National Honey Bee Day-US
    National Thrift Shop Day- US
    National Day -Indonesia
    Independence Day-Gabon

I wonder where Gabon is. Is anyone here from there or Indonesia? Peaceful watching honeybees drinking water from air conditioner run off and buzzing around. DH is allergic but these guys are not aggressive at all! Will land on you, sniff, then fly away! Lol!

RvRita
    n0y9fjpjbrd6.jpeg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Debbie In Napa Valley: I don’t mind thunderstorms if it is sheet lightning. When it is fork lightning, I am more likely to worry about lightning strikes starting fires. I hope you stay safe & fire free. :heart:

SuziQ: Our friends in Florida are good people, but I fear that they’re in a place where they feel safe & think things in their community are worry free. I hope they are lucky enough to stay well, but I doubt their community is as safe from the Covid pandemic as they imagine. I would love to be wrong about the safety issue. :ohwell:

Regarding the Safeway Parking lot—I go early in the morning when there is less traffic and TRY to find a parking spot that is less likely for my car to be hit. Safeway & IGA have senior hours in the early morning. I take advantage of them when I can. Walmart has a big lot and I park at the outside edge in a shady spot if I can. That said—they are parking lots and there are people who don’t pay attention. I look both ways more than once. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• SuziQ113
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    wruper ... I'm just going to assume that was sarcasm on your part? Welcome and join in with whatever topic you're interested in.

Facebook ... I've "unfollowed" so many people it's pretty much just me and advertisement for support bras.

Beth

Ha! Support bras! Love it.....I am getting to that point too!