September 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinajeang
    kristinajeang Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    9/2 - 2.25mi!

Pushed it an extra .25mi today just to get closer and closer to my first 5k since starting back up. It's amazing how great my legs feel after getting back into regular running! Quick question for all you seasoned runners: since I'm just getting back into it after a few years hiatus (I had an occasional run here and there over the past 3 years but nothing regular), how many rest days do you think I should take a week? Right now I'm definitely doing MWF runs, but I may want to do a run tomorrow night too. I just dont want to work too hard or injure myself if that is a possibility from not allowing my body enough recovery time?

2.25/30mi for September
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    9/1 – 7.01 miles
    9/2 – 5.03 miles
    Goal – 130 miles

It was so oppressive out this morning. I was sweating before I got to the end of my driveway. Enough said.
    rlloeddpxh2a.jpg
    My cheerleaders.
    @shanaber – thanks for the Noxgear recommendation. I will check them out. For some reason, I always thought they were more for being visible rather than providing light to see.

Ouch @hanlonsk – I hope your finger heals quickly. Thanks for your light recommendation. If I see one like it I will check it out.

I also have a noxgear and love it. I hated the idea of a bouncing headlamp, though won one in a recent competition - haven't been able to try it yet (4 weeks!!)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I've only run one time in sports bra only. It was the Sports Bra Squad day and I was with three or four other friends. And it was really early on a Sunday morning when few people were out! If this link works, it tells you about the day and gives some inspiring stories: https://womensrunning.com/culture/sportsbrasquad-day/

As far as the safety conversation, some mornings when I'm by myself I run with my pepper spray blaster. I'm so clumsy that I would probably accidentally shoot myself with a gun.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I've only run one time in sports bra only. It was the Sports Bra Squad day and I was with three or four other friends. And it was really early on a Sunday morning when few people were out! If this link works, it tells you about the day and gives some inspiring stories: https://womensrunning.com/culture/sportsbrasquad-day/

I started following Kelly Roberts on IG not too long ago (the author of the article linked above)! I find her irreverent take on running reassuring and her come as you are mentality very helpful. In general, I think her approach to running/health/weight is just great! An often repeated phrase is "Health is not a look. It's a lifestyle." She was certainly one major reason I worked up the guts to ditch the shirt this summer. So, I know it's silly to care what some random person I don't even know thinks of how I look while I am running several miles in heat indexes over 100F, but those were exactly the thoughts that held me back. Never in my life have I exercised in just a sports bra before this summer. I'm turning 40 in a couple of days and I've always worried too much about what other people think of my body. It's been liberating, honestly. It actually does make me feel more powerful and more confident.
    And not a single person has said anything to me or about me (at least within earshot!). If they thought it, they kept it to themselves and that's fine by me! I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Anyway, for IG users, she is worth a follow and your area may have a BadAssLadyGang to follow as well. Some of the chapters are more active that others but it seems like they could be a good option for people who want to find a running buddy for safety reasons or just some company.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @martaindale That's awesome! Thank you for the insight and suggestions! Agree 100%. health is about my LIFE, not what I look like...

@Teresa502 I share this concern as well. Last night, as I was falling asleep, I was imagining running with a gun and shooting myself in the stomach somehow on accident. Or the leg. Or the toe....

Anxiety is a real *kitten*.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd like a bouncing head lamp but honestly I don't even notice it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Can someone interested in doing the challenge for @PastorVincent pm me so I can send you a link and see if I’ve got it set up right?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    09/01/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    09/02/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 6.6

Just popping in quick to update from tonight's run. Group speedwork - we warmed up and then did 1 minute intervals. 1 min hard, 1 min recovery between x 12. Then 4 sprints and cooldown.

Beautiful sunset when we were finished. Dark by the time I got home. The light conversation is not something I'm ready for but it's happening soon.

Will try to catch up with you all tomorrow!