What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    as the weather is getting colder...

I don't like drinking apple cider but like the smell of it with mulling spices

I can enjoy an apple cider (I've never tried hard cider, but sparkling is nice). In our family, thanks to my medieval obsessions, Hypocras is the standard hot non-chocolate drink.
  • ejbronte
    glassyo wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Meat and fruit do not go together in any combination.

Except tomatoes...technically a fruit, I know.

There are physical reasons why fruit should be eaten alone

Uch I hate fruit alone. I like it on top of pancakes or waffles, with yogurt, cottage cheese, whipped cream, meat (haha), in a cake, pie, crumble. Even in wine :)

The only fruit I like eaten alone are raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. Everything else is too sweet alone

I like grapes, watermelon and pineapple alone. That's about it. I find fruit too sour I don't love sour things.

Except for said hawaiian pizza, I normally eat my fruit as a separate entity.

I do too. As a general rule, I like fruit on its own. I will combine strawberries with yogurt or cream (less often peaches, too), but for me, fruit is perfect on its own.
  • ejbronte
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Noooo prosciutto and melon together are life <3

Agreed. Pork chops and apples too.

And, of course, ham and pineapple, on pizza. ;-)

Guac goes well with plenty of dishes that involve meat.

I often have fruit with breakfast, less often meat (most often smoked salmon), but if I did have meat it wouldn't mean I wouldn't have the fruit.

My standard breakfast is some sort of oat-included bread/pancake/waffle with fruit, typically a banana. The last couple of weeks, I've indulged in Thomas corn muffins instead of oaty stuff, but will be returning to my regular fare next week. I don't care for pork, but have seen plenty of cooking shows combining apples with pork, and also figs. This also means a limited appreciation of ham and pineapple on pizza, but my sister likes it!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Pumkin is THE most OVER RATED flavor and needs to STOP. Gingerbread is way better.

Pineapple on pizza. Coming from an Italian/ Siciliano... just NO! IT IS BLASPHEMY AGAINST PIZZA
    Real pizza in Italy is not pizza here. In the states the ONLY good pizza is in New York.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Pumkin is THE most OVER RATED flavor and needs to STOP. Gingerbread is way better.
    True...pumpkin actually has no flavor...but when products say 'pumpkin' they really are talking about the spice one would add to pumpkin...cinnamon/ginger/nutmeg, etc., a.k.a. 'gingerbread' lol!!

Pineapple on pizza. Coming from an Italian/ Siciliano... just NO! IT IS BLASPHEMY AGAINST PIZZA AGREED!
    Real pizza in Italy is not pizza here. In the states the ONLY good pizza is in New York.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Pineapple on pizza. Coming from an Italian/ Siciliano... just NO! IT IS BLASPHEMY AGAINST PIZZA

I am from NY and have never had pizza in another state. Is it really that different?!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Ok, that reminds me of ONE exception that I'll make...bacon-wrapped dates. Those are good.
    I can't stand apples and pork, or fruit relish on fish, and don't get me started on the pineapple pizza. Just. Don't.

Sadly, I hate dates, so you and I are fruit and meat opposites.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Pumpkin is overrated (most winter squashes except for acorn and spaghetti are IMO, although I don't hate the others), and pumpkin spice flavor is bad.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I agree with fruit and meat, although I've never tried pineapple pizza.

Also, cant do fruit on salad either. Fruit and lettuce don't belong together.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

Ok, that reminds me of ONE exception that I'll make...bacon-wrapped dates. Those are good.
    I can't stand apples and pork, or fruit relish on fish, and don't get me started on the pineapple pizza. Just. Don't.

😮....pass them all to me then lol!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Also, on the fruit-and-meat subject...I love duck. Where I like to vacation in Wisconsin, there is a restaurant that makes a killer roast duck. I order it every time. It comes with a cherry sauce (cause cherries are their thing up there), so I always ask for it without the sauce. They look at me like I'm NUTS. "Do you want it on the side?" No, no cherry sauce with my duck. I get the side-eye the rest of the night. :D
  • ejbronte
    Pumpkin is overrated (most winter squashes except for acorn and spaghetti are IMO, although I don't hate the others), and pumpkin spice flavor is bad.

I'm a relatively recent squash convert. I have a lot of fun with spaghetti squash. Acorn is perhaps my least favorite. I like butternut. However. Butternut is hard to cut and peel, and I live alone with two cats who can't dial 911 for me. So I treat the butternut like an oversized potato: pre-heat the oven, poke some holes in the squash, lightly wrap it in foil and let it bake till it's softish and weeping. Then it's child's play to split it open, scoop out the goodness, keep and toast the seeds and feel really fine.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

I like dates, but I don;t like date spreads or when dates are in desserts
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    also, unpopular but i like prunes
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

Have you noticed that a lot of the packaging for prunes has changed to "dried plums"?
    Clever marketing to attract consumers who think prunes are only for constipated 90-year-olds.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member

Huh. I love prunes. Didn't know they were unpopular. The only dried fruits I regularly keep around to eat out of hand are prunes and mangos (there are some raisins, cherries or cranberries around for muffin use, but I don't generally just eat them.

I do like dates, but don't keep them around. Every once in a while I buy some for a potluck, to stuff with a homemade cheese thing (usually some combo of ricotta and cream cheese, an orange-y liquer like Cointreau, either some grated orange peel or finely chopped candied ginger, then stick some toasted almonds in the cheese as part of the stuffing.

So delish, and for the double win, includes various ingredients I've seen others here say they hate. 🤣 Nonetheless, the stuffed dates usually all get eaten up, at group events.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »

I'm a relatively recent squash convert. I have a lot of fun with spaghetti squash. Acorn is perhaps my least favorite. I like butternut. However. Butternut is hard to cut and peel, and I live alone with two cats who can't dial 911 for me. So I treat the butternut like an oversized potato: pre-heat the oven, poke some holes in the squash, lightly wrap it in foil and let it bake till it's softish and weeping. Then it's child's play to split it open, scoop out the goodness, keep and toast the seeds and feel really fine.

Two things: Try a sturdy cleaver with a thick back edge, and a rubberized dead-blow hammer. Any squash will yield, with ease. Just cut a slight groove in the skin (serrated knife works OK) so the cleaver won't slip. Probably a regular hammer, with a folded towel over the cleaver back, so you're not striking metal on metal, would work, too.

Then, if you like butternuts, look for the squash below (local farmer calls it "Fall Ball" but I don't know that's its proper name), or a long banana-type one of similar color called "Georgia Candy Roaster". They're a little sweeter, but not desperately sweet, rich flavors, moist but not soggy (I think acorn are way too watery or salve-y), really big plump seeds for roasting (and plenty of them). Very tasty. Really big, though.

lzh5jp3phl13.jpg
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    I like prunes, dates and unsweetened dried papaya. I do not like sweetened papaya