What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I don't like strawberry shortcake at all!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Where is that meme of donkey saying everyone likes cake and shrek isn’t having it
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My favourite cake is black forest gateau
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Where is that meme of donkey saying everyone likes cake and shrek isn’t having it

LOL this made me laugh. :D

I am not a big fan of plain white/vanilla cake or chocolate cake but I LOVE a good dense carrot cake with homemade cream cheese frosting!

I do get a craving for Funfetti cake with cheap Funfetti frosting from time to time though.
  • 88digitalawesome88
    Options
    Nutella is an oversweet insult to both chocolate and hazelnuts.

And it contains palm oil, which is destructive to Orangutans natural habitat!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »

LOL this made me laugh. :D

I am not a big fan of plain white/vanilla cake or chocolate cake but I LOVE a good dense carrot cake with homemade cream cheese frosting!

I do get a craving for Funfetti cake with cheap Funfetti frosting from time to time though.

Yesss, funfetti is my jam.
  • MsBehaving_since_the_70s
    Options
    Veggies! I hate veggies.......
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I was the weird kid growing up that loved veggies...
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Energy drinks like Bang are garbage.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    M93KG wrote: »

All right, I gotta ask. What do you think of PWO?!?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Saying "I hate vegetables" is like saying "I hate books" or "I hate music" ... you can hate certain "genres" of vegetables... like leafy greens, brassica, root vegetables, etc. but to generalize is extreme. All in the preparation, too!

Also,most peoples definition is limited to iceberg lettuce, corn and tomatoes.

..and most people do not know how to prepare them properly...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Saying "I hate vegetables" is like saying "I hate books" or "I hate music" ... you can hate certain "genres" of vegetables... like leafy greens, brassica, root vegetables, etc. but to generalize is extreme. All in the preparation, too!

Agree. I like pretty much all veg I've tried if prepared correctly, but I think often the whole category write off is based on a lack of exposure or bad cooking.

Totally disagree with this. I think some Americans may like only these, but not have been exposed to only these, and at least in my family growing up (way back in the '80s!) we knew corn was a grain and would never have considered it to satisfy the veg course. And we had other kinds of greens (mostly spinach and romaine) plus carrots and celery (of course), radishes, broccoli and cauliflower, squash and zucchini, some winter squash, and of course green beans (too often canned, and I hated them, unlike many of the prior mentioned, even though they are a favorite now). Also cabbage and brussels. Also peas, although I'd consider those a starch like corn, not a veg. There are also onions, scallions, and leeks, and of course peppers. Ones that seem common now but perhaps would have been less so in the '80s include fennel and asparagus (which was more of a delicacy when I was a kid), and artichokes. Other greens (arugula, kale, chard, etc.), jicama, and sunchokes are also more common now but hardly rare.

None of those seem to me to be obscure or unlikely to have been recognized as veg or tried by the average American.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Agree. I like pretty much all veg I've tried if prepared correctly, but I think often the whole category write off is based on a lack of exposure or bad cooking.

Totally disagree with this. I think some Americans may like only these, but not have been exposed to only these, and at least in my family growing up (way back in the '80s!) we knew corn was a grain and would never have considered it to satisfy the veg course. And we had other kinds of greens (mostly spinach and romaine) plus carrots and celery (of course), radishes, broccoli and cauliflower, squash and zucchini, some winter squash, and of course green beans (too often canned, and I hated them, unlike many of the prior mentioned, even though they are a favorite now). Also cabbage and brussels. Also peas, although I'd consider those a starch like corn, not a veg. There are also onions, scallions, and leeks, and of course peppers. Ones that seem common now but perhaps would have been less so in the '80s include fennel and asparagus (which was more of a delicacy when I was a kid), and artichokes. Other greens (arugula, kale, chard, etc.), jicama, and sunchokes are also more common now but hardly rare.

None of those seem to me to be obscure or unlikely to have been recognized as veg or tried by the average American.

I agree with @PAPYRUS3 's assessment. I grew up in that family where most of our "veggies" were starches. My family members were terrible cooks unless it was fattening comfort food. I remember as a kid getting loads of kale from a farm family friend at church and I ate most of it -- boiled with nothing but salt. Kale boiled is pretty nasty stuff, to be honest. We ate mostly what my Dad likes, and he was obese -- corn, peas and potatoes. If we had "healthy" vegetables, they had to be smothered in cheese sauce or similar.

It wasn't until I cooked for years on my own I started discovering how wonderful all the vegetables were. I eat kale now like twice a week -- never boiled, always in salads or smoothies. I love squash, something I never got as a kid. We ate some cabbage because I had a German family, but it was always in very sweet "Bavarian Red Cabbage" or with cabbage wrapped around fatty ground beef in cabbage roles. Way different than all the ways I use cabbage now. I love raw red cabbage in a lot of my salads and Asian dishes.

Most Americans still don't know what Sunchokes are and that's too bad -- great for fiber. Never had Fennel until my 30s. My wife and I both love green beans now, but both hated them as kids because the way they were always prepared -- in a pot of ham and potatoes. Now I make them typically with red pepper, onion, lots of garlic, mushrooms and EVOO. World of difference.

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like microwave popcorn...especially "butter flavored".
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    M93KG wrote: »

All right, I gotta ask. What do you think of PWO?!?

Hate it. I've long ago reached #getoffmylawn age and think PWOs are throughly unnecessary.