Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat

Replies

• For me — I prefer food that isn’t as processed.
  • genetix71
    genetix71 Posts: 44 Member
    its all fine with me, just call it what it is and not, fake turkey or fake bacon etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    genetix71 wrote: »
    its all fine with me, just call it what it is and not, fake turkey or fake bacon etc.

What's wrong with calling something faux turkey or faux bacon or using the terms "plant-based" turkey or bacon?
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Today I tried the Walmart's Ultimate Meatless Burger. It is inexpensive compared to others.
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/great-value-the-ultimate-meatless-burger/6000200049103

Not bad for what it is. The only burger of this type that I really enjoyed was the Impossible Burger in a BK's Whopper.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I haven’t tried it. I like real burgers. I like black bean burgers(I like black beans). I like mushroom burgers(I really like mushrooms). All easy to make. All less expensive than beyond burgers. I just haven’t been looking for an alternative when I already like what I have.
  • Caratach
    Caratach Posts: 46 Member
    First, after looking forward to the Impossible Burger, I was disappointed in its statistics as it had a lot more sat. fat than many lean burgers. Second, the Heme they use for flavor supposedly is about as unhealthy as red meat anyway.
    Other brands do have better statistics and don't use heme. Beyond Burger is a little more health on straight up fat and salt than the Impossible if I remember correctly, but Awesome Burger and some other brands are even better.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Caratach wrote: »
    First, after looking forward to the Impossible Burger, I was disappointed in its statistics as it had a lot more sat. fat than many lean burgers. Second, the Heme they use for flavor supposedly is about as unhealthy as red meat anyway.

It's not supposed to have better stats, it's supposed to mimic a fast food or other restaurant burger (depending on where served). I haven't had one, so can't compare, and also like my homemade lean burgers better than most higher fat/cal burgers anyway, but the concept of this one is not to be extra healthy, just meat-free and similar to what it is replacing.

Like another poster said just above, I also like black bean burgers a lot, while not thinking they taste like burgers (of course). But if one likes restaurant burgers, it's nice to have an option that also can be vegan.
  • janejellyroll
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Caratach wrote: »

It's not supposed to have better stats, it's supposed to mimic a fast food or other restaurant burger (depending on where served). I haven't had one, so can't compare, and also like my homemade lean burgers better than most higher fat/cal burgers anyway, but the concept of this one is not to be extra healthy, just meat-free and similar to what it is replacing.

Like another poster said just above, I also like black bean burgers a lot, while not thinking they taste like burgers (of course). But if one likes restaurant burgers, it's nice to have an option that also can be vegan.

Yes, we already have a variety of low fat and super-health focused vegetarian patties and it's noteworthy that these have NOT caught on in terms of widespread non-vegan interest. When people go to Burger King or similar places, they want a burger that resembles what is already sold there. They're not really interested in something that replicates a lean burger.

I can remember McDonald's experimenting with a lean meat burger back in the 90s (??) and it was not a hit. So what Impossible is doing is trying to deliver -- in non-meat form -- what the mainstream market has already demonstrated that it wanted.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Its Beyond me why someone would eat factory meat.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Factory meat ??

• IronIsMyTherapy
    Factory meat ??

It's manufactured. Yes, it has natural veggies etc but also has a chemical laxative and artificial preservative. Bottom line, it's not meat; it's a bunch of ingredients blended up and made to imitate meat in a factory.
  • janejellyroll
    Factory meat ??

It's manufactured. Yes, it has natural veggies etc but also has a chemical laxative and artificial preservative. Bottom line, it's not meat; it's a bunch of ingredients blended up and made to imitate meat in a factory.

Chemical laxative? Artificial preservatives?

These are the Beyond Burger ingredients: Water, Pea Protein*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

Can you let me know which ones you're referring to?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Factory meat ??

It is a burger patty - of course it is manufactured. And of course iit is a bunch of ingredients blended up .......isnt every recipe that???
    and of course It is not meat, that's the whole point.

Nobody thinks burgers grow on trees, do they ??

Possibly some prreservatives, Just like meat patties and most other non fresh raw foods

Not sure what ingredient you think is a chemical laxative??? Or exactly what your point is????

• BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    As much as I want to try one of these things as I haven't eaten mammal in over 8 years, I can't justify 240 calories for only 20g of protein. It just won't fit my macros especially when it comes with 20g of fat. I prefer leaner sources of protein. From an ethical standpoint, I can support beyond burger but that's a conversation for another day.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    edited September 2020
    Factory meat ??

These are the Beyond Burger ingredients: Water, Pea Protein*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

Methylcellulose is a bulk-forming laxative that increases the amount of water in your stools to help make them softer and easier to pass. Methylcellulose is used to treat constipation and to help maintain regular bowel movements.

Potassium chloride (also known as KCl or potassium salt) is a metal halide salt composed of potassium and chlorine. It is odorless and has a white or colorless vitreous crystal appearance. The solid dissolves readily in water, and its solutions have a salt-like taste.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    edited September 2020
    Factory meat ??

It is a burger patty - of course it is manufactured. And of course iit is a bunch of ingredients blended up .......isnt every recipe that???
    and of course It is not meat, that's the whole point.

Nobody thinks burgers grow on trees, do they ??

Possibly some prreservatives, Just like meat patties and most other non fresh raw foods

Not sure what ingredient you think is a chemical laxative??? Or exactly what your point is????

Yes, but a beef burger patty is made of beef. Beef is meat. No, burgers don't grow on trees, they grow in cows which is very different than a mixture of natural and man made ingredients mixed up to IMITATE meat. The burgers I make are made of whole ingredients, not anything that is manufactured. And yes, LOTS of processed foods are no different; I choose to avoid all of them.

Methylcellulose is the chemical laxative. My point is I'd prefer to not ingest Beyond meat and I don't understand why anyone would. But I don't have to understand, I support freedom of choice. Not sure why people seem to feel personally attacked lol. Just stating my opinion on a thread titled "Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat".
  • janejellyroll
    Factory meat ??

Methylcellulose is a bulk-forming laxative that increases the amount of water in your stools to help make them softer and easier to pass. Methylcellulose is used to treat constipation and to help maintain regular bowel movements.

Potassium chloride (also known as KCl or potassium salt) is a metal halide salt composed of potassium and chlorine. It is odorless and has a white or colorless vitreous crystal appearance. The solid dissolves readily in water, and its solutions have a salt-like taste.

In this case it's being used to add some bulk to the burger and it's below the dose needed to provide a laxative effect. So what's the exact concern, given that it's an approved food ingredient?

And what's the concern with the salt?

Most food can be described as a "bunch of ingredients" and the Beyond Burger is far from being the only product on the market to use a bulk agent or salt as a preservative. So why avoid this food in particular?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    l4a_p wrote: »
    I tend to just read the ingredients on anything myself. If there's a bunch of unpronounceable things, I skip it. But veggie "burgers" in general have a rather short and clear ingredientlist in my experience.
    Read the chemical make up of an apple. Bet you can't pronounce all of them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png