30lbs to lose... Started AGAIN yesterday (Darn Lockdown Snacking)

Replies

• GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,114 Member
    Good morning everyone, the lake weekend was so good. We didn’t have a (mini) vacation for more than a year and we were like kids in a candy store. I talked (and listened) to my friends the entire time , walked 20,000+ steps every day, attempted volleyball, stayed around the fire pit until 3AM each night.
    THE problem was that my husband had poison ivy rash and blisters on his arms (again) so every 2-3 hours I cleaned it and bandaged him mummy style. At night I was keeping him from scratching so although very happy, yesterday we got home very tired. His arms were oozing thru the wrapping so I convinced him to go to urgent care-first time in 10 years. It was a nightmare, I waited 2+ hours in the car and in the end he just upped and left unseen and had the meltdown in the car on the way home, about the system, the times, etc. We got home at 10 and he went to bed and is still sleeping and I tossed the entire night. Right now I’m just so tired and frustrated that I want to help him and he’s too stubborn to stay still. He weighs 90lb over me so I can’t drag him caveman style. Maybe the sleep will help and I admit I’m full on jealous for that.
    So here I am , completely caught up with our group‘s worst-day-in-months curse. Sorry. Tomorrow will be better.
  • MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    Day 103 (Monday)

Today would have been a vacation day and we all decided to take the day off work and school. I still had all the necessary Mommy-jobs to do, but I made sure I was finished by Noon so we could all have a relaxing day. Home school this week will be a lighter version. I hadn't made lesson plans for this week and I had some fun workbooks hiding out just for this kind of situation. Why exacerbate a lost vacation by going back to a full workload?

Yesterday and today, my only hope for this journey is that I make my 3 goals. I'm trying to reduce the pressure on me (and the family as well) while still achieving some goals. I think it's working.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

@clutterqueen YUM! I bet those carrot cupcakes were delicious! I can taste them from here. Glad you got to enjoy a treat :smiley:

@thelastnightingale I do feel much lighter and free-er after the Great Breakdown. It's like I actively threw down all those burdens and released all the toxic feelings I had about it. I am so very glad that you had friends available to support you during your release.

Fantastic that you were able to pre-cook and pre-pack all your meals. That should make this week a breeze. How is your cold? Are you feeling better?

@kcd394 Look at you just killing your goals! That's wonderful! Chinese food gets me every time. I love it, but the MSG and sodium have me retaining water for dayyyyyyys (but I still love it :blush: )
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    @GabiV125 I’m sorry to hear your trip ended on a downer. Your poor husband with poison ivy. It is wretched! If I get it and discover it soon enough, rubbing milk of magnesia dries it out beautifully( I picked that up from Peoples Pharmacy). Otherwise, it’s lot of burning hot showers each day( and in the middle of the night) to calm down the itching.
    Poor you, not getting your sleep! That’s really tough too! Hope you are both through the worst of it!

@MommaGemz Glad to hear you were able to have a somewhat relaxing day on what would’ve been a vacation day. That was a good call! And look at all your check marks!! Good for you!!

Well, I felt really hungry today but managed to not exceed my calories for the day. It’s interesting, the days I eat the most, I WAKE up hungry and don’t get full after regular breakfast. It seems like it should be the exact opposite! Anyone else ever notice this happen?

Exercise: ✅
    Tracked: ✅
    Under: ✅( thankfully after being over yesterday and so hungry today!)
    Now that I think about it, my calories yesterday weren’t the healthiest, maybe that’s why I was hungry today. I really didn’t do a good job of nourishing my body! Food for thought, no pun intended!
  • kcd394
    kcd394 Posts: 382 Member
    I was stressed today as the big boss that apologized to us last week is here working all week and we're seeing more things than we'd typically schedule... I will say we rocked it today and helped so many pets! She's very much organized and keeps me moving and I appreciate that.

I've been hungrier lately so I've gone over a few days in the last week, but today i really did. Will get back on the wagon tomorrow but thought maybe i just needed a day to eat til I'm actually full. Did go to bed at 1030 yesterday and will again tonight.

@GabiV125 sorry to hear of the poison ivy but the mini vacay sounds full. I miss playing volleyball.

@mammagemz glad you took a lightened approach for some r and r despite a big disappointment after canceled vacation. I'm sure the kids were looking forward to the break too.

Also need to meal prep to keep myself on track... have some chicken breasts cooked up tonight just need to make up some boxes with veggies etc to go. Off to bed with me.
  • MommaGemz
    Day 104 (Tuesday)

Doing my 3 goals a day is helping, because the scale is creeping downward. It's amazing that 3 simple goals do all the work, while I spent so much time trying to add in all these extras to either 1.) lose faster or 2.) "be healthier." It just caused more stress in the end.

My husband and I made a really important decision today about home schooling. The method I selected this year is all workbook based because I wanted them to practice as much handwriting as possible. However, it requires ALOT of organizational and administrative oversight from me to plan, teach, grade and track everything. We finally decided to take it all online. We'll be trying out a program in which I set their grade levels and curriculum preferences once, then the online program automatically does everything else I was dong manually. My daughter also give less resistance if she's not learning from Mommy, but from a fun video or game online. Luckily (as a former tech employee) we have spare computer systems available, so we're going to spend the weekend setting everything up and starting afresh on Monday.

Daily Goals:

Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅
  • We don't get poison ivy in the UK - I've read enough about it to be very grateful for that! Your poor husband, @GabiV125. That sounds really awful.

Good luck with your new approach to homeschooling, @MommaGemz. It sounds like it has potential to make your life that little bit less stressful!

I'm feeling quite sorry for myself, but also quite smug I meal prepped when I was well enough to do so. Honestly, it makes such a difference - I strongly recommend it. What's the saying? Never put off for tomorrow what you can do today? If I'd waited a day or so, I wouldn't have been up to it, and it's made this week bearable. I must try to stick to this planning thing more!

I'm now eating at 1,500 calories rather than 1,200 calories, and my body has finally got used to that increased allowance. The weight has been shifting again - so whilst I feel all crappy with my sore throat and headache, I also feel lighter and happier. Slightly odd mix of feelings. I do wonder if it helps that my body might be burning through fuel quicker to fight off this bug...

All in all, can't complain. I wouldn't have chosen to get ill, but it appears to be doing me some good overall!
  • GabiV125
    Sorry for yesterday . I was so tired and worried for him; every day looked worse than the one before (6 in a row) , the big broken sores could get infected any second, and he stayed 2h in a waiting room being exposed to who knows what. But it looks like he turned a corner and now it’s less oozing and more crusting-I’ll take it gladly.
    @kcd394 - so glad to hear your migraine days are finally over, and that you are having balanced meals most of the time. Do not overthink the other days because you are clearly doing the right things-you actually lost 20 lb, and the trend is downward.
    @MommaGemz - the 2 weeks will fly and your vacation will come and it will be even better because you would have practiced this new stress reducing skills. The way you describe the online system makes so much sense and it sounds great- and the extra bonus would be that it excites your daughter 😀
    @clutterqueen - We are European, never heard or saw poison ivy until coming here, so we just asked around what worked for others and nobody suggested multiple hot showers, nor milk of magnesia. I’ll definitely keep that in mind for next time. He gets himself in a pickle 3-4 times a year.
    Funny you asked about the sequence of eating days. That has been exactly my downfall, one day some mindless munching on healthy AND then unhealthy foods in front of TV that made me feel extra full and gross, followed by bad sleep and vowing to eat little and drink tons of tea the next day. Only to get ravenous in the morning and to have about 4 days until I could control what and how much I eat ( not very good at that). You reshaped the next day, wow 😯.
    I’m absolutely sure that certain foods are lighting a fire under us the next day.
    @thelastnightingale - sorry to hear about your sore throat and the extra stress it adds on you, but very nice silver lining - I get that sweating the pounds in the gym sounds noble but in reality we take anything. You are feeling miserable so this is just a tiny present. Very smart move to do the meal prep on a good day, it already paid off.
    The boss you describe is the one I had 2 jobs ago, which I left after 4y because it was so incredibly hard to take the mood swings while having an at risk pregnancy. The kid is 14 now, and we are all good.
    Thank you all for the kind words and the sound advice.
  • MommaGemz
    Day 105 (Wednesday)

Today went by better than most - hurray! The kids were in good moods and did all their work without complaining. They spent extra time reading their books. I got in some work time while they were reading. The rain from the Tropical Storm finally eased so the kids could go outside to play for a bit. My husband even watched the kids for a bot while I laid down for a little nap this afternoon. That was the only downside of the day - I was dog tired. We'd run out of the food I'd planned for the 'vacation week' so it was breakfast for dinner night. Everyone likes that so - Win! Hurray for a good day!

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

@GabiV125 Dang! I somehow missed the poison-ivy post. I bet that was so uncomfortable for him, and then having to go to the emergency room was an added stressor. Ouch! I hope you're able to catch up on sleep soon.

@thelastnightingale I'm sorry your cold is lingering on. I'm wishing you a swifter recovery!
  • clutterqueen
    @MommaGemz It sounds like the online learning will make things so much better all the way around. Win/win!

@thelastnightingale I’m sorry to hear that sore throat and head ache are lingering. Hopefully, each day gets a little better!
    One thing I started doing years ago was when I’d make a lasagna, Mac and cheese or some other casserole that generally fit in a 9x13 dish, was prep it all in 2 smaller dishes, bake one and put one in the freezer for when I didn’t feel like cooking. Then I could throw together a salad, maybe heat up some rolls at the end of casserole baking and dinner was ready with minimal effort. I would do that with soups and chili’s, chicken dishes as well, just freezing them in the Glad quart cylinders. I originally started that because my husband isn’t a huge fan of leftovers. That way it’s not leftover, it’s freshly baked. Now that it’s just my husband and me at home, I prepare even smaller dishes and freeze most. When I make chicken parm, I make 3 mini casseroles and 3 go right in the freezer.
    Now I only have to cook about twice a week and take out frozen dishes other nights. ( one thing to keep in mind is use less fresh garlic if you’re going to freeze it, or maybe I should say just use the normal amount and not the ton extra I generally use!! On Fridays we have pizza- we’ve done that since we were first married. Actually my family did that growing up as well. I’ve always had to figure pizza into my calories! Anyway, your meal prep made me think of this. If you have a big family and will eat a while 9x13, why not make 2 at a time and freeze one? Of course, we had an extra frig with freezer in the garage to allow for extra food storage.

@Gabiv125 So glad your husband is turning the corner with the poison ivy. It’s weird how exercising and getting hot and sweaty intensifies the itching but getting under an almost scalding shower takes the itching away for a couple of hours. Apparently it confuses the nerve endings or something.
    I try to shower as soon as I return from a hike because for me, I don’t even have to come in contact with it to get it! Dogs can brush up against it and transfer it to humans as well( I don’t have a dog.)

My day:
    Under: ✅
    I got really frustrated with my husband this evening and had to go for a quick walk around the neighborhood listening to some soothing music to keep me from eating my frustration!!
  • kcd394
    The boss lady had to fill in at another clinic who were down 2 staff members today. However, i had to deliver bad news to my receptionist who I've become friends with. Her dog is really sick and the meds I put her on aren't working. I'm very stressed and doubtful that she'll make it without a blood transfusion, which is quite expensive and i can't do it in my clinic. Its breaking my heart to see my receptionist crying and I feel awful that I can't seem to get her dog on the right track... I didn't sleep super well last night worrying about her dog and probably won't tonight either. Probably why I overate again. I chose a healthier dinner today and cleaned up the kitchen finally, so I at least got some stuff done around home. It's been a stressful couple of days for me worrying about this poor dog. That's probably nothing on how my receptionist feels, I've been seeing two of her ill pets this week. She's been through the wringer and I'm along for the ride trying to make it better.

My best friend from high school just got engaged so I have been asked to be a bridesmaid for her. That gives me some more motivation to lose weight by June so I'll look nicer in a dress for her wedding. She is on mfp too and just lost a little bit for her sister's wedding last week.

So far the emotional eating damage shown on the scale is minimal. Gotta find the motivation to prep because it seriously does make the difference, and yes in two days the motivation to do it will be gone. Have never tried freezing meals, but I guess I don't make casserole type dishes much either. Will have to look into that and find recipes to try.

@GabiV125 not sure if it works for poison ivy but we had stinging nettles where I grew up and we used to smear mud all over our arms or legs after we accidentally brushed it and the mud would dry out and supposedly pull out the stinging chemical. Seemed to work well on decreasing the sting and I'd often come home with mud on my forearms to wash off before supper. Of course its too late now, but might help in the future before the blistering wounds pop up. At least for short term relief.
  • GabiV125
    @MommaGemz - hurray for happy kids (for my teenager happy equals not brooding). Yes, if our bones are screaming for sleep, we listen - hope you rested a little. We had an incredibly rainy spring and summer, but for almost 3 weeks now, not a drop. I hope you enjoyed the rain and the cozy feeling it brings.
    @clutterqueen - I like your food freezing plan. You put so much thought into it and it sounds easy and no time consuming at all. I will certainly copy it. Smart move, to actually go for a walk to redirect your actions- we all know the talk, but you also walked the walk (couldn’t help myself with the pun).
    @kcd394 - Sorry to hear the stress at work is mounting up. Please give yourself time to figure out ways to ease your stress a little- make lists and cut stuff, do not add anything more to your too full day yet.
    @thelastnightingale -I hope you are feeling better soon

I’ve been on the do-everything wheel for so many years, I forgot who I was before. So I’ll try to slow down a little, listen more and maybe even let some things slide and people fend for themselves. Last night I took the dog for 1.5h walk, in a park he never went, at a time I never walked him, and only informed my daughter from the door- did not walk in, straitened her bed, took the empty water bottles and asked if she’s hungry. The world didn’t crumble and I enjoyed my “rebellious” walk.
  • clutterqueen
    @kcd394 I’m not sure how you are able to face the stress and emotional aspects of dealing with sick and injured pets day in and day out. I wouldn’t be able to handle it at all! I’d probably weigh 350 pounds! I admire what you do!
    And you will look great in that wedding next June!

@Gabiv125 I’m liking your plan to slow down and let some things slide. Sounds very healthy!

@MommaGemz Congrats on 20 down!! A major accomplishment! And getting to wear yoga pants you haven’t worn in years is a big feat!

I agree with what you’re saying about the pressure of having one day a week as the official weigh in day. It is a lot of pressure! For me it’s the sodium that gets me sometimes and then I’m up a couple of pounds even though I’ve stayed under on calories each day.

My day:

• kcd394
    Today was busy but about the same stress as usual. Woke up to the power out. Had a text that it was expected to be restored by 630 am so I hit snooze but it wasn't back on. Finally discovered at 7 am that i can actually run my shower and have hot water while our power is out... that wasn't possible where I grew up... anyway so I got my much needed shower by the light of the LED camping lantern. Power kicked on as i was walking out the front door... not enough time to make the usual breakfast. I had gas station food for breakfast and a cappuccino and paid the price for it after lunch. Consequently i was over calories again today. But less than yesterday and the day before. Slowly coming back down to my calorie goal.

@mammagemz hooray for the 20 lb mark!

Thank you all for your nice comments. I actually thought of making a list last night when i laid down but ignored the thought so i could get to sleep. I've found that lists do help me and I'll have to get back to that.
  • clutterqueen
    @kcd394 I hope you are able to get some much needed rest and relaxation this weekend!!

My day:
  • MommaGemz
    Day 107 (Friday)

Last night my laptop broke,so it's in for repair right now. The power port came loose and it wouldn't charge. So I'm using an old spare computer for the time being. I'm not able to do my usual video editing work on this old thing, so work will have to wait until the laptop comes back. Just one more thing breaking down lately. Sigh.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅
  • kcd394
    I think i was sort of at my calorie allowance today after my steps... I'll take it. Better than yesterday, again.

My receptionists dog has turned a corner and we're finally having some success in treating her... I almost cried tears of relief and happiness when her bloodwork was improving as i really thought she might not make it. She still has a ways to go though.

Next week I'm the only doctor all week so that's a little stressful (I'm still kinda new and lean on my more experienced colleague a lot), but I'm gonna try to meal prep Monday night for the remainder of the week. Mats parents are here again so I'll be at the mercy of what she's making again. I can control how much of it i eat though.

Hoping this weekend is refreshing now that I'm less worried about my receptionists doggy. Hope everyone has a nice weekend. I feel like those of us on the struggle bus lately will have a better week upcoming.
    Goodnight all!
  • GabiV125
    @MommaGemz - I like your approach to weight trend measurement-it makes more sense than one set day. So sorry to hear about your laptop, especially since you rely on it for your work . If bad things come always in 3s: washer, postponed vacation and laptop, than you are in the clear now. 😀
    @clutterqueen - thank you for posting your green marks, it feels good to see how much I can learn from you. I want to get to that consistency one day. And I’m right there with you about taking it hard when taking care of fragile and adorable sick animals.
    @kcd394 - do not think you have a week of sole responsibility on your shoulders, go with only one consult-the very next one , or one hour at the time . The entire day/week will happen, but if only pay attention to the moment, it won’t appear so large.
    We finally got a nice stretch of fall weather- very rare in VA, and I’m liking it a lot. This week I ate within calories, which is surprising, because I never hit 2 days in a row. Had the beginning of my flares early this week and it looks like I got to see the light version this time. Seems too big a coincidence to not be food related- so now I have to pay attention for any results if I fight back, instead of just roll with it.
    Happy weekend everyone!
  • 169.7lb! I finally broke the 170s! :smiley:

Probably due a (temporary) gain because it's now TOM for me, but I don't care, because I broke yet another sticking point. Being able to say I'm 16-something makes me feel thinner. I think probably because I've been struggling to break into that range for so long.

I am still finding it difficult to 'see' what's going on with my stomach, but I can't definitely tell you that the major difference between now and 202.7lb is back fat. I used to have these awful lumpy bits that have disappeared, and whilst it's not completely flat now and I can see a little 'line', I feel really happy with how it looks. I also think it will continue to improve as I continue to lose (and eventually maintain).

I saw some fat pics someone took from earlier this year - I think a few months before I started this - and I did not feel bad about myself. Instead, I felt quietly content that I didn't look like the woman in those pics. My face looks like a round blob in those photos, whereas my face these days looks like a face. I couldn't see it at the time, but I really see the difference now. My face has got a lot of structure back.

It's also quite motivating being able to suck in my stomach, look in the mirror and have something to aim for. Back at my heaviest, if I sucked in my stomach, it was still not at a size I would have been pleased with.

I am really pleased with how far I've come, and where I know I'm going - a big thank you to everyone for your support. I do think it makes a difference being able to talk about the ups and downs with people who are going through the same thing.

Choosing certain foods because you need to balance out your macros for the day, weighing things to get the right portion size rather than just plonking things on a plate, the internal debate over how much you want a sodium-packed takeaway because you know how brutal the water weight temporary gain will be, walking in circles because you're just below your step count for the day and you want to hit your target... I can totally see how all of these things would be alien/unrelatable to someone who just eats what they like. :lol: It's nice having a space to let out all those thoughts without being judged.

Having survived a challenging week at work (overall good challenging, just intense) and hit a new milestone, I am going to make time tonight for a bubble bath and face mask. Because I'm worth it, darlings. I hope you're all remembering to make time to be nice to yourselves - it feels like everyone's had some kind of struggle lately and deserves a little pick-me-up of some kind.

@kcd394 Great news about your receptionist's dog - it was obvious how much that was weighing on your mind.

@MommaGemz @clutterqueen I do look at the week as a whole, but I will admit to being irrationally disappointed if weigh-in day isn't the lowest result for that week. Having an 'official' weigh-in day helps curb any late temptations - I'm getting pretty good at self-control, but I'm especially good in the run up to weigh-in day.

@GabiV125 Check you with last week's burst of consistency, despite being stressed about your OH. Nice job eating on track!
  • MommaGemz
    @kcd394 Hurray for your receptionist's doggie! There is hope! I'm wishing you well this week. Gabi gave some great advice to just take it one appointment at a time. Meal prep should help reduce the stress because it's one less thing to do that day. <3

@GabiV125 I really hope so. I was planning on filming a bunch of videos for my next online course today, but a neighbor is having driveway construction today.... on a Saturday.... I'm sure the other neighbors love that as well since they started at 7am. Thanks to the Tropical Storm, we had a taste of Fall weather here too - Yay! Our beach trip may be more sand castles than water play if it's too cool to get in, but we'll have fun anyway.

@thelastnightingale Hurray, hurray, hurray!!! Goodbye 170s!! You have made amazing progress, and considering the difficulties you've been through lately - You have persevered toward your goal regardless. Fantastic! I'm glad you're also seeing the results as well.