30lbs to lose... Started AGAIN yesterday (Darn Lockdown Snacking)

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Haven't been posting very much because I've been hugely frustrated by my weight. I had one horrendous week where after hitting my target, my weight increased every single day (and I was continuing to do all the right things).

After a period of self-reflection, I don't think I actually gained any weight, I just don't think I lost it in the first place. If I remove that week from my stats, my overall trend looks normal. I think I simply sweated off a huge amount of weight during the heatwave, and when I thought I was lighter, I was just severely dehydrated.

I feel marginally better in assessing that I didn't lose the weight in the first place, as opposed to gained it back.

I've also been struggling with putting up my calories. I went from 1,200 to 1,300, which seemed to trigger a backlash from my body. I think that's now calming down, but that was also hard to deal with. It's made me realise that I don't want to get to my goal weight eating at around 1,200 calories - I want to gradually up what I'm eating along the way so when I hit goal, I won't be much below maintenance.

1,200 was right for me at the start of this and I'm grateful for how much I've managed to lose, but my body needs to understand this is is me eating at a deficit, this isn't my forever allowance, and the day I finally hit a BMI of 24.9, I am going to start eating at maintenance rather than continuing to lose. This is going to take more gradual progress - I've conquered mind over body in getting to this point, but now I need to think about the body as well. I can't just decide later down the line to go from 1,200 to 1,800 - my body needs more time to understand that message.

Having a birthday during a pandemic was also a little tough. (Your BMR goes down for a start! Bloody unfair!) But as I've said, I've had some time for self-reflection. I've evaluated my goals, and I'm anticipating getting to where I need to be in time for Summer 2021, which is later than I was originally planning, but in my view, more realistic. It also allows me time to conquer some non-weight related life goals - for example, there are some exams I want to sit between now and then.

I guess I feel more comfortable having reviewed and modified my goals - and I'm looking forward to getting there with a renewed determination.

Welcome to @jroy1999! Congratulations to everyone for the progress you've made since I've been hiding, and I see I'm not the only one who has been making some keen observations and reflections on goals.

Here's to the start of a new, great week for everyone..
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    @thelastnightingale I’m impressed with all your self reflection. It sounds like with you setting more realistic goals, you are setting yourself up for longterm success!

My day:
    Exercise:✅
    Tracked: ✅
    Under: ✅
    I’ve been under but not by much the last few days.
  • kcd394
    kcd394 Posts: 391 Member
    I gotta quit hitting done instead of post reply... sigh.

@thelastnightingale Glad to see you back posting! Sorry you've had some frustration, but remember we are also here to help each other make it through that. You don't only have to post when you are making progress... sharing your struggles will help anyone reading know they aren't the only ones. It's human to feel frustrated. Glad you talked yourself through what happened and have a new resolve to move forward! Welcome back!

@clutterqueen nice job on those check marks!

I ended up with 18.9k steps today... our shoes and socks got soaked from the dew on the grassy trails in the first hour, so that part wasn't great, but the hike was lovely. So not ready for Monday, but I bet I sleep good tonight. Here's to a good week ahead guys!
  • thelastnightingale
    @kcd394 I know, I know, retreat is one of my default coping strategies. At least I didn't also eat everything in sight (also a default strategy), so that's progress, right? ;)

Some days are harder than others to accept that patience is required, and to accept a kind word on a dark day. I'm much better at supporting other people than I am in accepting support myself, and I'm acutely aware of how dumb that is. We stand on the scales alone, but let's face it, weight loss works best when we make it a team sport and share the wins and the setbacks. I'm trying to listen and to make positive changes happen...

Sounds like an intensive day of activity, hope you wake up feeling refreshed. It's fab to hear how you're actually enjoying those hikes - it makes it so much easier to stick to exercise when you find something that you find fun.

@clutterqueen Great work on sticking to all your goals!
  • LadyTalty
    LadyTalty Posts: 29 Member
    You guys seem amazing and I want some of that motivation! Feel free to add me!
  • MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    Day 74 (Sunday)

I spent the morning finishing up the remaining filming, then I had to put together the weekly home school lesson plan. Afterwards, I tried to give myself an actual rest so there could be at least a little "weekend" squeezed in. I kept calories within my window but definitely did not finish my steps. At least I DO feeling rested and ready to start the week!

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - Nope
  • MommaGemz
    Sorry I've been so quiet. I just had to get through last week with total focus on my goal. Unfortunately, my weight goal slipped and I basically made no progress. Focus is back ON now!

@LadyTalty Welcome!! Feel free to post your daily progress, achievements, disappointments, or just what's going on in your life - we are here to support! Tell us all about you - family, goals, challenges, work, hobbies, etc - anything you'd like to share :)

@thelastnightingale I'm sorry you've had a rough week. I can definitely understand what you've been experiencing. @kcd394 is absolutely right - we're here for you no matter you're feeling and experiencing. Remember to be gentle with yourself and remember all the progress you HAVE made so far. That is not nothing, that is not gone. It is still there, you just had a slow period. These are the times we just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other, continuing to take baby steps until the scale moves in the direction we'd like. HUGS!!

@kcd394 Nearly 19K steps! Wow! Now that was an active day!

@clutterqueen You keep hitting those daily goals - that's wonderful! Every day adds up!

@jroy1999 Tracking calories, exercise and water are great goals to start out with - that's exactly what I did 👍 Staying within calories with pizza is a challenge so fantastic job with that!

• MommaGemz
    Day 75 (Monday)

I got on the scale this morning and I was so disappointed. It seems when one area of my life is super-productive, the other areas suffer. I got so much done on my project this week, but I slacked so much on steps and bike. I just finished the current round of Just Give Me 10 Days with only a .2 lb loss. Only .2 lbs in 10 days?? Ugh. I know weight loss is supposed to be 80/20 (calories/exercise), but the decline in that 20 really had a dramatic impact. Well, I keep going. As Dory says, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

I still have alot of editing work to do on all the videos I filmed, so I just have to adjust my daily expectations for that to get my exercise back in.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

The red line is the beginning of the "10 Days" for the challenge above.
    50263093137_8ac846ee48_n.jpg
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    Hi all,
    Busy week and TOM coupled with a bit more back pain (probably due to TOM cramps blagh).
    I’ve kept up my calorie intake goals.
    I’ve kept up my workout routines as planned and that makes me feel good!
    Weight has stayed between 152-153, again TOM and hopefully workout recovery.
    @thelastnightingale you’ve done some serious self-reflecting! Congratulations on reassessing what your body needs!!
    @MommaGemz i didn’t see a loss this week either, it’s sometimes hard to remember that weight loss isn’t linear! But you know in the big picture you’re in the right track.
    Everyone is doing great keeping with goals and lovely hikes!! And welcome to some new names!
    I’m hoping to be more focused this week! :smiley:
  • kcd394
    So i had to get up early to commute to work and we had a super busy day. Was in surgery til almost 130. I am super tired and feel really hungry since i didn't eat back those calories yesterday and havent had snacks or anything today. Had the last of the pizza for lunch, and the carbs just dont stick with you long, plus its been like 6 hours since i scarfed the pizza... was at work late writing in medical charts (we're old school) and then i had to run to my boyfriends aunts to drop off some mason jars for canning jams, and some money for his uncle that found and bought him race car tires... she did trade me some homemade jams, fresh honeycrisp apples, and some fresh corn cobs though.
    Its been one of those days I'm home since 7 pm but still sitting in my car summoning the energy to take things into my apartment. (Might take two trips). Its now 8 and i havent eaten dinner. Don't have 6k steps today but i think I'll jump back on that wagon tomorrow. Gonna go make a wrap with some eggs, tomatoes, cheese, salsa and light sour cream. Found these flatout multigrain with flaxseed wraps i think i like.

@NadiaMayl sorry the cramps are messing with your back... never fun. Hopefully things start moving the right direction again soon.

@LadyTalty welcome! We would love to hear more about you and your goals and what brought you here!

@mammagemz i hate when i get to feeling like i can only have a certain number of my ducks in a row because the rest are in some other pond. I get hyperfocused on tasks sometimes and would not be able to keep up on other things. But you survived the week, rocked your projects, and you did NOT slide backwards. You maintained despite all that work you were doing and that's no small task because that took work too.

Guess I'll pack my things inside now... lol have a good evening all.
  • clutterqueen
    It’s late so I’ll wait until tomorrow to post messages.

Under: ✅
  • thelastnightingale
    Welcome to the thread, @LadyTalty!

@MommaGemz I know that feeling - I find myself juggling so many metaphorical balls that I find it impossible to keep them all in the air at the same time for any great length of time. I figure as long as I have most of them in the air and still see the ones on the floor, I'm doing OK. The realisation I've come to over the last 12 months is that I'm not Superwoman, and that's OK. With that said, I hope the scale starts to be nicer to you soon - I am living your frustration with the tiny movements right now!

@NadiaMayl TOM always hides weight loss for me. Hopefully the scales will move when it's over. :) Well done for keeping up with your workouts - I absolutely do not. I know the old Bodyform adverts used to imply women could do anything during their TOM including extreme sports, but I just like to cuddle up with a hot water bottle and wallow!

@kcd394 Sounds like you've been busy!

@clutterqueen You're really consistent with hitting your goals... :)

I'm currently working on my sleep. It's been more messed up lately than usual, and with the cooler weather, I need to force myself back into sleeping when the rest of the world does, and not being fully nocturnal. I've acquired a weighted blanket, which is actually helping a bit - I wasn't sure if it was just a marketing claim, but I find the weight helps keep me asleep for longer when I do manage to get my head down.

Sleep messes with my appetite, and the timing of when I eat, so it's not massively helpful when it comes to taking consistent weight measurements. If I can manage to get at least 6-7 hours during normal night time hours, I think that's going to be single biggest positive change I can make for my weight/health right now. It's going to take some time, but that's what I'm currently working towards. :)
  • TrishAndGirls
    TrishAndGirls Posts: 42 Member
    Hey! Add me if you'd like! I'd love to be friends and we can support each other! Anyone else on this thread who would like another friend add me as well!
  • clutterqueen
    Welcome @Ladytalty and @TrishAndGirls! I know you’ll find this group as supportive and encouraging as I have!!

I was barely under my calories today. Had a day where I just wanted to eat, and eat I did! If I hadn’t exercised hard, it would’ve really wrecked my day!

@thelastnightingale Sleep ( or more accurately lack of ) messes with my weight too. The less I sleep and the more tired I am, the more I want to eat. I have to remind myself that mindlessly eating carbs only makes me more tired! So it’s ironic that carbs are the thing I want when super tired!

@MommaGemz I am beyond impressed sound how you have been diligently working and still managing to stay under your calories even if you don’t get your steps in! That’s HARD!! Just because the scale didn’t register a big loss this time, doesn’t mean it won’t suddenly show a bigger loss in a few days.

@kcd394 I feel like I need a nap after reading your posts! You are a super busy woman!

@NadiaMayl That’s commendable how you’ve kept up the exercise and the being under your calories when you haven’t felt like exercising , I’m sure! It will pay off!

I hope everyone sleeps well tonight and is well rested for tomorrow!

Exercise: ✅
    Under: ✅ ( not by much!)
  • MommaGemz
    Day 76 (Tuesday)

Just a quick note to say that it was a really busy day here, but I did manage to finish my goals!

And I'm so happy to be a part of this group because y'all are SO encouraging! I am happy to report that the scale was kinder to me today :D

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅
  • kcd394
    Today we were treated to free lunch for our clinic meeting and I had a turkey melt sandwich and some seasoned fries. Thankfully not many fries, but man was the cheese and bacon on that sandwich yummy... I decided I had better work off the lunch and eat something lighter at dinner. I walked on my treadmill after doing some rearranging in the office. My smaller 30 inch tv is now in the office (have a chromecast on it) where I can watch that while on the treadmill. Was watching videos on youtube about goat farming while getting my half hour on the treadmill. I am hoping to have a hobby farm with meat goats in the future. I got 9100 steps today, yay! I didn't eat back all my exercise calories and stayed within goal that way. I also drank my whole 32 oz nalgene bottle full of water today... more than typical for me so this is good. Now for bed. Its been a busy two days so far... goodnight all! Welcome newcomers!
  • thelastnightingale
    @MommaGemz I feel like the scale is either kind or horrid to us at the same time... after last week's unexpected spike up, my weight has finally gone back down to where it was last fortnight (less a tiny faction further), so I'm back to a BMI of 29.9. We've had some lovely storms (the good kind, not the destroy-everything-in-sight kind) and I feel lighter within myself, so it feels more real this time.

My body seems to have finally accepted the slightly increased calorie allowance, which is good. I'm now toying with having one treat day a week where I eat closer to maintenance (I have MFP premium so can in theory set custom goals for different days of the week), but I'll see how I get on. @clutterqueen I've had a few of those days lately too, where I've just wanted to eat and eat, which is why I'm considering the one 'day off'. However, a controlled day off where I don't lose, but I don't gain, as opposed to one where I don't count anything.

Mentally, the last fortnight has been hard, but I made it through to the other side. Now to keep going...

@kcd394 I used to struggle with free lunches at work on the occasions they were provided... I wanted to be grateful and enjoy the food, but I also felt apprehension at not being in control of how many calories I was eating. Sounds like you've got it down though, with the extra treadmill and adjusting the rest of the day - I think that's an achievement in itself, because it shows you can take the unexpected food things in your stride (quite literally, with the treadmill as your exercise!) and not freak out.

I still haven't been out for food or had a takeaway, but mentally, I'm getting closer to the place where I can do that without freaking out.

Short-term/medium-term goals:

- Continue to get used to eating above 1,200 calories
    - Work on sleeping at night, and sleeping for longer uninterrupted
    - Consider a regular maintenance day
    - Eat a takeaway without feeling guilty/without feeling out of control

Perhaps not your traditional diet goals, but this is supposed to be a lifestyle change not a diet, and I think those goals fit within that mindset. I don't just want to be thinner, I want to be thinner, healthier and happier. It's about more than sticking to a calorie allowance...

Have a great day, everyone.
  • MommaGemz
    Welcome @TrishAndGirls !! Feel free to post anything you'd like about your journey - this is a pretty free form thread. We'd love to know more about you - Please tell us about you 😀

@NadiaMayl I hope you're feeling better! That TOM gives me lower back pain, so if that back pain were layered on top of other back pain - I would be completely miserable :'(

@kcd394 Sounds like your job is so busy! You're doing great keeping up with your steps and your calorie goals - Great Job! I loved watching YouTube and TV while I was on the treadmill. I need to start binge watching something on the bike now (whenever I get back on it...._. There is something for everyone on YouTube! Goat farming - awesome!! The treadmill sure is the place to dream and plan, and learn about on YT. 👍

@clutterqueen "Had a day where I just wanted to eat, and eat I did!" I really believe that sometimes we just need to 'refeed' ourselves and get our level of energy back up. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out the best timing for that.

@thelastnightingale It sounds like we had a similar fortnight. A glimpse of hope and then..... the body just wanting to cling on to that water and fat and whatever. I am finally starting to release it and back to making progress again. Those times truly are the test of our commitment to our goals. Can we keep going when nothing seems to be working? The answer is.... YES WE CAN!! 🎉 I am very interested to see how a regular maintenance day work for you. That might be the way to go when I get closer to my goal.

• MommaGemz
    Day 77 (Wednesday)

Hurricane Laura is set to make landfall just NW of Houston, so we've finished getting our house and yard prepped for the storms. I'm not too worried, because we did just fine during Hurricane Harvey. We may lose power, but we don't have to worry about the house flooding. My husband put away the trampoline so it doesn't become a hurling missile in the wind.

Other then that, I'm feeling pretty good this week. Just going back to basics: Calories, Steps & Water. The challenge will be my son's birthday coming in at the end of the month, and me doing a Month-to-Month comparison weigh-in on Sept. 1st. That's okay, I'd rather be part of the fun. I'll be making and decorating my son's cake and ordering pizza. Luckily, I can pass on the pizza, but my own home made cake? I'll need to be very careful with my slices.....

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

50271022862_dd90394c0b_n.jpg
  • clutterqueen
    @MommaGemz Thoughts and prayers during this hurricane. Very unsettling. I used to live in FL years ago and when we were in the projected path of a hurricane, I’d always buy Swiss Cake Rolls! I hear you on the homemade cake! Most store bought cake I can pass up ( except Publix with butter cream frosting). There’s just something about a good homemade cake.

@thelastnightingale Those look like some great goals you’re working on. I like how intuitive everyone seems to be. I’ll be interested to see how your every so often maintenance days go.

My day:
    Under: ✅ ( barely again)