Right age to get married??

Options
123457»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and in no rush but I'd prefer before 30.
    Some people I went to school with got married after college, a few got married right out of high school and starting making babies.
    I would wait until I'm done with college and have a good job and am financially stable. Money is listed as one of the biggest reasons contributing to divorce. Not having money to pay bills makes people grouchy so I can see why it would be a problem
  • LovelySophiya
    Options
    i was 18 turning 19 the year i got married..waiting is the best thing to do...
  • LovelySophiya
    Options
    i was 18 turning 19 the year i got married..waiting is the best thing to do...
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    I was 21, he was 22. We have a 14 month old baby girl and I'm a stay at home mom. I would have never thought I would be a wife, or mom, or "unemployed"... but it works. I absolutely love it!

Edit: My parents have been together since they were 15 and 16. I admire them :-)
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    P.S.: Marriage doesn't mean babies for everyone. :) And certainly not immediately. It always boggled my mind how people get married and instantly pop out kiddos. Don't you want to enjoy your marriage, kid-free, for at LEAST a year or two?

This, amen
  • WendyHJ
    Options
    We met at 26, married a year later at 27. Bought our first house 4 years later. We never planned kids, and at 35 made that permanent thru surgery. Then the recession came. Our careers are in the toilet, we're fighting to keep our home (a different one), went thru bankruptcy, and last year I made what I made after high school. Ridiculous. But we are still together, 14 years this New Year's Eve. It's not always easy, but when you commit to being a part of a team you work really hard at it. I love my husband, he's a good guy, and I wouldn't be who I am today without his support and love.
  • MrsMills712
    Options
    You just know. People all mature at different ages.
    In an old middle school memory book, I had laid out my future stating that I would be married at 22, kids at 24 and 26.
    Well, I did get married at 22, but no babies yet and I'm 26.

I was married right before my senior year of college. Some people don't want to be married until graduation, but I loved it.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i don't think there is a right age. i got engaged in December and just turned 24 at the end of August. My fiance is 27. we dated for 3 and a half years before we got engaged. my mom always says she knew i would get married around this age, it's just my personality and the way i live my life. i am more independent than most 23 and 24 year olds I know - I moved out for good when i was 22 and pay my bills and work and am ready to get married! we have a long (to some) engagement, our wedding is not until july so we will be engaged for a total of like 19 months - which is the perfect amount of time for us! i dont know when we will start to try to have kids - i'm hoping to give it about a year or so after the wedding until we start trying but ya never know! things happen for a reason!
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'll be 24 in October and got engaged in May--I'll be married on June 9th, 2012. My fiance is turning 25 Friday. We were together 2 years before engagement. For us--when we got together, we click instantly and moved together within 3 months of dating. I think what really makes us work is that breaking up isn't an option--we talk it out, we deal with our issues and we're both in good places--I'm 2 years out of college with a solid job and he's got a career that he can move up in as well. I don't think there is such thing as the right age--just the right two people at the right times in their lives.
  • jessica_mom343
    jessica_mom343 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is NO right age. For me it was 18. For someone else it may be 28, 38 or 48. No one can put an age on love or maturity.

Edit: I've been married for 13 years. we've been together for 15. Wouldn't change it for a thing. Now I know I'm not the norm. Most people who married young that I know arn't together and it didn't even last 2 years for most of them. We are just blessed!!
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Im 25 and getting married in november. There isnt a right age to get married. Just do it when it feels right . Marriage is about love and when you have met the right person you will want to marry them immediately ! :heart:
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I got married when I was 25, but I was the first in my friendship group. We're all about 32 - 33 now and most of us are married. I read somewhere the average age is 28, but I agree it's down to the individual. For me, it wasn't so much about carving out a career but more learning who I really was myself, so I finished Uni at 21, spent 3 years single, met my now hubby at 24 and got married at 25 (doesn't seem like a long time to know someone in retrospect, but we've been married 7 years and it's working, so I figure we knew it was right ;o)

One of the original poster's comments about babies etc though isn't necessarily about marriage - 7 years in and we have lots of fun, work hard and enjoy each other, but babies are NOT on the horizon. You can be married and not have to launch into a family straight away you know :wink: In fact, my friends are only JUST starting to have babies - the oldest is 6 months.