For the love of Produce...

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    weighed it.
    26# of watermelon 🍉
    Seriously.
    Brought wedges to all the neighbors. We planted at the same time. Apparently mine was the only survived. Wild. I super suck at getting stuff to survive the heat and the squirrel 🐿.

czt1es6tbyyh.jpeg
    594mnzw25z4i.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    Looks like a really tasty one.

If you have lots, and if you have a dehydrator, try to dehydrate some. It's like candy.

I also really miss having grilled watermelon salad. I need to find a recipe. There's a taco shop that used to serve it seasonally. I don't think it had any marinade, but it had some hot chiles and feta or cotija. Oh, so good.

My neighbor gave me a delicata squash start this spring. The leaves never looked right. The single fruit that grew was a cantaloupe. It never ripened; instead it rotted on the ground and became maggot food. So sad.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I love dehydrated melon too. Just cut in thin slices, skin and all. I normally do honeydew and cantalope in the dehydrator, which are easier to de-seed.

One of my favourite things to do with watermelon is the classic Turkish salad of cubed watermelon, feta, mint and drizzled with a little pomegranate molasses. If you don't have pomegranate molasses, balsamic tastes similar.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    We had Vietnamese savoury pancakes where we substituted beansprouts for grated carrots because I have a ton languishing in the fridge that need using. You are meant to wrap bits of pancake with herbs in whole lettuce leaves to dip in nuoc cham but we only had torn lettuce lying around so that component was eaten as a salad on the side. Also made Thai pomelo salad substituting grapefruit.
  • mtaratoot
    @acpgee

That looks delicious.

My silly pumpkin plant is flowering again.

woo06vfasyeq.jpg

I wish it would send its energy into ripening the second fruit. The first one is good-to-go. I scratched up the second one for display purposes, but it's still hunter green.

mhhms9n6l8x9.jpg

Obviously I took that picture when there was ash all over everything. We've had a few inches of glorious rain, so most of that has been washed off. Speaking of rain....

It's been so long since I've made a banana split, I probably don't remember how. I don't even have any bananas much less all the other ingredients. But I can tell you this much: all the wonderful rain we've been getting sure knows how to make Sungold cherry tomatoes split :frowning: I just keep picking the split ones and cooking them. Today they will go on some Rockfish en papillote.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    A friend gave me his juicer and I tried it out today and actually liked it. I prefer whole fruits/veg and smoothies, but might start playing around with different recipes. It wasn't as hard to clean as I'd feared.
  • mtaratoot
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    A friend gave me his juicer and I tried it out today and actually liked it. I prefer whole fruits/veg and smoothies, but might start playing around with different recipes. It wasn't as hard to clean as I'd feared.

One of my favorites is beet, ginger, carrot.
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2020
    Heh, I started with a more fruit forward one (apple, half a lemon, celery, cucumber, a couple clementines, and ginger, and it was delicious, but I overdid the ginger).

I have beets and carrots to play around with, and will next.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Vegetable pie.takbhx98c07s.jpg

This is SO, SO beautiful!
  • mtaratoot
    Heh, I started with a more fruit forward one (apple, half a lemon, celery, cucumber, a couple clementines, and ginger, and it was delicious, but I overdid the ginger).

A little bit of celery is a good addition to the beet/carrot/ginger. I always like MORE ginger. A little apple can be nice, but I would trade it for more beet/carrot.

I love fresh juice but rarely have it anymore. Calorie bomb and all the fiber is taken out.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

A little bit of celery is a good addition to the beet/carrot/ginger. I always like MORE ginger. A little apple can be nice, but I would trade it for more beet/carrot.

I love fresh juice but rarely have it anymore. Calorie bomb and all the fiber is taken out.

Yeap, i feel the same about juicing. Convinced my SO to get rid of it and replaced it with Vitamix. Makes delicious smoothies while keeping fiber.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    icemom011 wrote: »

Yeap, i feel the same about juicing. Convinced my SO to get rid of it and replaced it with Vitamix. Makes delicious smoothies while keeping fiber.

Me too...and my lonely $800 Green Star sits - awaiting for some attention...while my Vitamix is now worked every day.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    GreenValli wrote: »
    Vegetable pie.takbhx98c07s.jpg

This is SO, SO beautiful!

Thanks--it's so easy to make and was also very good. It's a great way to use up leftover vegetables.
  • purplefizzy
    edited September 2020
    Weirdest dinner ever.
    Normal for me lately.
    Fresh coconut.
    Some form of crispy veg to dip.
    Other color of veg to dip.

Dip: fage 5% + hummus + seasonings
    Tahini drizzle. Pink salt.

Papads- micro.
    Lots.
    Some miso fruit sauce- gift.

e3ew10dkhbhk.jpeg
  • purplefizzy
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The previous 13 pounds of onions and big bag of nice slicing tomatoes apparently not having been enough, Bob-next-door brought over a big bag of carrots and parsnips. I see more veggie-roasting in my future. taltwosvvfu5.jpg

My produce fairy 🧚‍♂️ is also at it. Yay! Love the produce gifts!
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2020

Doesn't have to be calorie bomb if you make it mostly vegetables. I am a smoothie person normally, but this is fun to play around with.

No clue if I am going to keep juicing or not -- so far I'm pleasantly surprised that the cleanup isn't as difficult as I had been told. (My next juice actually wasn't the beet/carrot one, but a spinach, romaine, celery, cucumber, apple, lemon, ginger one, as I realized my cukes and spinach needed to be used soon!).

Agree re the fiber, but I tend to have a reasonably high fiber diet anyway, so am not too worried about it.

I'm currently organizing my pantry and deciding which tools to keep, so will likely be experimenting with various kitchen appliances. I did the food processor before the gifted juicer and will move on to the Instant Pot next.
  • mtaratoot
    Mea culpa. Calorie bomb probably was an overstatement. Probably only 200-350 calories or so for a big glass of carrot-beet-ginger. But to me that's still a lot of liquid calories. I guess it's about the same as a pint of craft beer, and I drink those. And they don't have much fiber either.

I found this thread had me going to look again at maybe getting a Vita-Mix. I'd love to try some "juice" made from one to see how I like it. I used to have a Champion juicer; it made great juice. A friend gave me an Acme; I should get busy and just make a couple batches and log them to see how bad they really are.