Less Alcohol - OCTOBER 2020 - One Day at a Time (Try a Sober October)

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    lilann1961 wrote: »
    Happy Monday! Checking in!

Goal: 4 days of alcohol

Oct 1: AF
    Oct 2: two sour beers (this was planned)
    Oct 3: went on a party bus to celebrate a birthday! It included dinner at an italian restaurant and a cocktail bar. I had never been on one before, and was the oldest on the bus (Birthday girl turned 29...I am 40). It was fun! And I drank a lot. Totally planned, and may have totally solidified the rest of the month being AF LOL.
    Oct 4: AF

I believe I have finally gotten past the hurdle of wanting a glass of wine after work. I just don't crave it anymore. Saturday may have proven my tolerance is high, but my weight is high and I at pasta.

I know I have read on here before that it is common to crave sweets when not drinking alcohol on the regular. I NEVER craved sweets (think ice cream, cake, cookies), but lately have definitely had more of a sweet tooth. I have been able to keep those cravings in check and stay within my calories if I do eat a sweet, but working hard to keep this from becoming the next habit.

Small steps like eliminating just one drink craving such as a glass after work is a huge step forward. Sometimes it takes a while for your body to adjust to not having the calories from alcohol. That is why we get those sweet cravings.
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Ah...@dawnbgethealthy....you really don't wanna know about scrapple.

After you butcher your hog & make hams, roasts, bacon, sausage....gather up the rest of the scraps, boil 'em up with spices and cornmeal, pour into a small loaf pan & chill. Slice and fry up crisp. Skip the work and buy it in the refrigerated section of your market. Never buy scrapple in a can[beyond nasty, IMHO].

TOLD ya you really didn't wanna know.... ;)
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Day 4 AF done. Feels like day 14 though. It's dragging. Got in an hour run today and surprised the legs still work and joints don't hurt.

Desperately craving crispy thin pizza and sparking rose, imagine that? Will try a nap to see if it passes.

Dawn: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!! Enjoy your tasty dinners....

Doxmum: hope all is good in your world.....!
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Kept our promise and no alcohol this evening so that I could hit my targeted 4 AF days for the week! YEAH!

Oct accountability: 4/11 days AF
    This week: 4 AF days
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month; limit 1-2 glasses per day
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,551 Member
    Ah...@dawnbgethealthy....you really don't wanna know about scrapple.

After you butcher your hog & make hams, roasts, bacon, sausage....gather up the rest of the scraps, boil 'em up with spices and cornmeal, pour into a small loaf pan & chill. Slice and fry up crisp. Skip the work and buy it in the refrigerated section of your market. Never buy scrapple in a can[beyond nasty, IMHO].

TOLD ya you really didn't wanna know.... ;)

: - )
    What an education! Really, I have never heard of it, nor have I seen it in a store. Curious about what kind of spices that go into it.
    I wonder about the consistency and the taste.
    You obviously like it if you ordered it for delivery.
    Love the learning something new every day : - )
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I am Dawn and live in South East British Columbia. I am 60.
    My goal remains the same as it has been for quite some time, 16-20 AF days per month.

I do it kind of diary style:

Thursday October 01 - AF - I did manage 17AF days for September even though I drank every single day (moderately) of my birthday week while away. I have to wean myself off of that path.
    Friday October 02 - AF - I really felt like having drinks though.
    Saturday October 03 - Drinks. I did flirt with the idea of an AF October...for a minute. Not yet, and not sure if ever I will want to be joining the sober squad.
    Sunday October 04 - AF - Really going to try to get back to having at least 2AF days in a row this month.
    Monday October 05 - AF - Planned Mojitos Tuesday or Wednesday before the Mint is finished for the year.
    Tuesday October 06 - AF - No Mojitos for me today, I was exhausted when I got in from work.
    Wednesday October 07 - Various Mojitos, Strawberry Mint, Orange Mint, Chocolate Mint, and mixtures of them.
    Thursday October 08 - AF - Aiming for 2 in a row.
    Friday October 09 - AF - Thanksgiving weekend here, so I will be eating a lot of stuffing, gravy, turkey etc. for 3 days. I have a pumpkin loaf for breakfasts even though I rarely eat stuff like that. I may have drinks this weekend, not sure.
    Saturday October 10 - AF - First day of 3 of eating turkey, stuffing, potatoes gravy etc., not enough calories left for even a Grand Marnier tonight. Either I will have to eat less stuffing potatoes and gravy the next 2 days, or I will have to be AF to keep within my calorie count.
    Sunday October 11 - 2 drinks. Scrapped the idea of Thanksgiving dinner again tonight, I will have it tomorrow. I had decided by about noon today that it was going to be a drinks, pizza, wings kind of evening. I worked very hard in the yard, seeing the forecast that today was going to be the last sunny day and that it was going to go to minus 2 (Celsius) this week. Photos to come of course.

Rolling total: 8 AF days out of 11 days so far.
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,526 Member
    I’ve been quilting and digging in the yard. We need to remove the dirt from our flower beds and bring in top soil.
    AF 5 out of 11 days.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I am Dawn and live in South East British Columbia. I am 60.
    My goal remains the same as it has been for quite some time, 16-20 AF days per month.

I do it kind of diary style:

Thursday October 01 - AF - I did manage 17AF days for September even though I drank every single day (moderately) of my birthday week while away. I have to wean myself off of that path.
    Friday October 02 - AF - I really felt like having drinks though.
    Saturday October 03 - Drinks. I did flirt with the idea of an AF October...for a minute. Not yet, and not sure if ever I will want to be joining the sober squad.
    Sunday October 04 - AF - Really going to try to get back to having at least 2AF days in a row this month.
    Monday October 05 - AF - Planned Mojitos Tuesday or Wednesday before the Mint is finished for the year.
    Tuesday October 06 - AF - No Mojitos for me today, I was exhausted when I got in from work.
    Wednesday October 07 - Various Mojitos, Strawberry Mint, Orange Mint, Chocolate Mint, and mixtures of them.
    Thursday October 08 - AF - Aiming for 2 in a row.
    Friday October 09 - AF - Thanksgiving weekend here, so I will be eating a lot of stuffing, gravy, turkey etc. for 3 days. I have a pumpkin loaf for breakfasts even though I rarely eat stuff like that. I may have drinks this weekend, not sure.
    Saturday October 10 - AF - First day of 3 of eating turkey, stuffing, potatoes gravy etc., not enough calories left for even a Grand Marnier tonight. Either I will have to eat less stuffing potatoes and gravy the next 2 days, or I will have to be AF to keep within my calorie count.
    Sunday October 11 - 2 drinks. Scrapped the idea of Thanksgiving dinner again tonight, I will have it tomorrow. I had decided by about noon today that it was going to be a drinks, pizza, wings kind of evening. I worked very hard in the yard, seeing the forecast that today was going to be the last sunny day and that it was going to go to minus 2 (Celsius) this week. Photos to come of course.
    Monday October 12 - AF. Mars is supposed to be viewable tomorrow night, and then not again like this until 2035. Just saying.

Rolling total: 9 AF days out of 12 days so far.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @dawnbgethealthy & @shorepine I'm in central Texas and it's only now cool enough to camp (in my opinion). It's still in the high 80's and low 90's here! It never really feels like fall here but I was raised in PA so I do appreciate a beautiful, chilly fall.

You changed your profile pic again. Beautiful flower. How is October treating ypu so far?

Awwwwww thanks @MissMay I'm doing well...I read, enjoy the pictures, hug and like but just not saying much. I'm doing good, though, staying as positive as possible... We postponed camping until this weekend and I'm looking forward to it. I guess no new news is good news. I love this group of ladies and its' leader. Thanks for thinking of me...
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    OH..and @Doxmum ...come BACK !! I NEED SOMEONE TO BOUNCE MY SNARK OFF OF !!!
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    @shorepine I'm there with you on losing it in 2019 and then regaining that loss during the spring. Also I'm really proud of you tackling the weight now in your 40s. I wish I had not given up ... most of my weight came after kids and during my 40s when I just threw up my hands and let work, stress, kids, etc be my priority focus ... not giving myself the time and attention I needed.
    Love your goals and determination ... more AF than A in the month!
    CONGRATS on the recent weight loss and downward trend