Women 200lb+, Let's Be Fang-tastic This October!!!

Replies

• changeforeverlj
    changeforeverlj Posts: 222 Member
    @iloveeggnog Thank you so much for your encouragement! Love having you ladies on my side. I think its lovely having your Thanksgiving spread apart from Christmas! We have holidays but nothing as significant as Thanksgiving! Christmas and Easter are our big ones.
  • torih941
    torih941 Posts: 207 Member
    @remedieigotcha, thank you for the supportive words and ideas. Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed with graduate school, my work, and trying to balance losing weight. It feels like a battle I won't win, but I know I just have to keep going and keep working on shifting my mindset. I am feeling a bit better and more focused today.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Weigh in Wednesday

Highest weight: 435 (11/1/18)--lost 50 lbs. by the end of 2018 but got off track and gained back almost 31 lbs.
    SW: 415.8 (4/17/19)

9/30: 201.0
    10/7: 197.6
    10/14: 195.8
    10/21:
    10/28:
    10/31:

Oct. GW: 194.4
    GW: 160 (then reevaluate)

Weekly exercise goals:
    - bike ride or exercise bike 5 times per week - 5/5
    - strength training 2 times per week - 2/2
    - chair yoga 4 times per week - 4/4
    - steps onto aerobic step platform twice a day at least 3 times per week - 3/3

Not too much going on here. My son and I did a second bike ride on Saturday. That one was about 26 miles on a gorgeous riverside trail through some really lovely fall colors. I think that trail is my favorite so far. Unfortunately, it's a couple hours from my house so I won't be riding it again any time soon. :)

I only have one trip to my parents scheduled this coming week so things have slowed down with their appointments and errands for the time being. The weather is supposed to be cold, windy, and rainy the next few days. I guess that means the exercise bike instead of biking outside. I can do cold, I can do windy (up to a point), but add in being wet to those two and I'm not there yet. Maybe someday I'll ride no matter the weather! :)

@aliciap0116 Sorry to hear that your husband was readmitted to the hospital. I hope you get positive news at his appointment on Friday. You definitely should give yourself some grace with all you're dealing with right now. Maybe just logging your food without trying for any kind of deficit will keep the logging habit going and you could go back to a deficit when things calm down for you. You have other priorities right now. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @Making_Impossible_Possible - yes, starting a new exercise routine will lead to water retention. So will eating more carbs than usual. You mentioned switching from salads to sandwiches. It's not that carbs are bad for you, but when you eat more than you use to, you will hold on to more water. Just keep doing what you are doing. The whoosh will come.

@KeriA - SO insightful. Yes, the discipline, self-knowledge and self-confidence we gain in losing weight can easily be applied to other areas of our life. This can be a life changing exercise, in so many ways, if we apply these tools to other areas of our life that are holding us back.

@aliciap0116 - So sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he gets back on his feet soon. Please don't beat yourself up. 10 pounds is a mere blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes when everything is crazy focusing in on what you can control (your diet) might provide the structure and discipline that can get your through a rough patch. But if not, go easy on yourself and make a plan for when you can return to structure and discipline. Hang in there. Glad you keep coming back here.

@changeforeverlj - Nice job on that 20 minute run. Now the rest is easy. You just build on that accomplishment.
  • speyerj
    torih941 wrote: »
    @remedieigotcha, thank you for the supportive words and ideas. Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed with graduate school, my work, and trying to balance losing weight. It feels like a battle I won't win, but I know I just have to keep going and keep working on shifting my mindset. I am feeling a bit better and more focused today.

Oh Tori, I'm so sorry you feel this way some days. This sounds corny but don't underestimate the power of positive thinking (and not as Lou Reed said, "The Power of Positive Drinking' :wink: ) When you catch yourself thinking things like, "it's too much", or "I can't win this", try to turn the negative thought into a positive one like, "Yes, there is a lot to do, but I am strong and capable and I have the drive to succeed" and say it out loud to yourself or write it down, even if you don't believe it at the time. Keep practicing at it and eventually the negative thoughts will get less and less and you'll be able to more quickly replace them with positive statements that you really do hold to be true. Yes, it sounds like a Tony Robbins infomercial, but it really does work!
  • Tarzan37
    Tarzan37 Posts: 158 Member
    I probably won't be weighing in this week - pms has hit this week and I'm super bloated. Ugh. Last month I started an entire week early. Maybe it's perimenopause?

Anyway, hope you all have a strong end to the week!
  • speyerj
    edited October 2020
    @PennycillinEQ- don't fret. That 4.5 pound weight gain is probably at least 4 pounds of water. You ate later at night and you ate more carbs than you were use to - both of those things will lead to temporary weight gain. A couple of days of buckling down will send that water weight right through you.

Regarding wrinkled, crepey skin - taking a diet break won't solve it. If you still have subcutaneous fat and extra skin, gravity will cause the fat to continually stretch the skin, preventing the skin from shrinking. Only way round it is through it - you have to lose the extra fat, then eventually the skin can start returning to normal - or so I'm told by others who have been through this. I'm still in the wrinkly skin phase. Check back with me in two years. :smiley: Another alternative is surgery. Personally, I'd rather be wrinkly for a couple of years.