Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Happy Friday all! Went to the local Walgreens a couple weeks ago to get my flu shot. The poor pharmacist on duty was busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest! I had to wait an hour before she could get to me and give my shot. That said, that was the least painful vaccination I've had in my life! Major kudos who people who've managed to pull that trick off! I was feeling back to my normal self within a couple of hours, which is odd, because I'm used to feeling low energy for a day or two afterward.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Someone on another thread who celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving recently mentioned he was unable to find a turkey as small as he wanted and this reminded me that I had heard a news story this AM predicting smaller turkeys could be in short supply this year - thought I'd pass this along.

Retailers needed to tell the turkey farmers in March or April that they wanted a higher proportion of smaller turkeys and this didn't happen.

At 6-8 pounds, "Oven Stuffer Roaster" type whole chickens might be a good alternative.

I love turkey and like to plan for lots of leftovers. My "Joy of Cooking" has many recipes that call for cooked chicken or turkey. If I have no choice but an overly large turkey I might plan to make soup and other recipes that freeze well. And/or I could buy it early and celebrate early.

I live alone, but not looking for a small turkey. I'll cook a full sized bird and have leftovers for a day or 2.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Someone on another thread who celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving recently mentioned he was unable to find a turkey as small as he wanted and this reminded me that I had heard a news story this AM predicting smaller turkeys could be in short supply this year - thought I'd pass this along.

Retailers needed to tell the turkey farmers in March or April that they wanted a higher proportion of smaller turkeys and this didn't happen.

At 6-8 pounds, "Oven Stuffer Roaster" type whole chickens might be a good alternative.

I love turkey and like to plan for lots of leftovers. My "Joy of Cooking" has many recipes that call for cooked chicken or turkey. If I have no choice but an overly large turkey I might plan to make soup and other recipes that freeze well. And/or I could buy it early and celebrate early.

It’s just me, my husband, and my mom this year, and everyone but me hates turkey, so we agreed we are doing a stuffed leg of lamb instead, and I am buying some smoked turkey breast from honey baked for myself.

I have a minor problem. My mom has a good friend who isn’t traveling to her family for Christmas and wants to have Christmas breakfast with us. I love her dearly and know she would walk through fire for my mom, but she has way more outside contact than we do - travels out of state, attends church, works in healthcare, is a very outgoing person - and I’m not even slightly cool with having her in my house for hours including eating a meal with no mask on. I sort of hinted at this and my mom pretended not to hear me, so I am not going to be able to say anything in a subtle fashion, and I have no idea how to handle it.

Would you feel comfortable asking her to kind of quarantine for two weeks before Christmas, except I guess her work, to protect your mom? I sympathize, this is the kind of thing I'm going thru with my family.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Since most of us are waiting for an efficient and safe vaccine, I thought that this well written and straight forward letter would be of help to many of you. I hope that you can open the very long link, if not you can google the information.

BREAKING NEWS: The Wall Street Journal reports that Pfizer could apply for emergency use of a COVID-19 vaccine by late November. Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla published an open letter to speak directly to the public about the company's plans.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topics/an_open_letter_from_pfizer_chairman_and_ceo_albert_bourla?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RneVpESXhNVFk1WkRSaiIsInQiOiJjVTlOT3BkWUhKcld1ZUlPNlJGaXV0bkZqbmhoMnZxY0hicSs5dnpBTzVKQnFRTUVMRXNGZFwvaVlQK1E0ck1mTXFycHJFbmpPZUw0XC9mWXBcL2s2Vk45TVljb2NSV0xvVHVPaFcxWVFkT2U5OHhrNHNpNUowZkZER3pjMkxQSWJPQSJ9
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    edited October 2020
    Got my flu shot today, only the second time ever. I almost never get the flu (twice in 63 years) so have avoided the shot, but this year is different. Also, with an 81 year old husband with health issues, I know it's not about me. While I can survive a bad case of flu, I'm not risking his health. He got his shot too, but at a different pharmacy. Walgreens had the senior vaccine that he needs, but didn't take my insurance. Riteaid took my insurance, but didn't have the senior vaccine. Fortunately, both visits were quick. There were no lines.

Gisel - to answer your question, IMO one of the problems is that those of us who have lived a while have heard media hyperbole too many times on issues that didn't turn out to be a big deal for most people. If your parents don't know anyone well who has gotten seriously ill or died, they may just assume that it's one more example of media exaggeration.