What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ALL FOODS are worth the calories of you actually like to eat something and enjoy it. It's only NOT WORTH it if you ate it and DIDN'T like it.
    The issue here is people blame high calorie foods for their demise and weight gain. It's not the food's FAULT. It's the LACK OF DISCIPLINE from the person. Not being able to STOP CONSUMPTION is a discipline thing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think what we are talking about here is the grey area that exists between enjoying something and not liking something.
    There are plenty of foods that I think are just "okay". I don't DISLIKE them, but I'd hold short of saying I ENJOY them.

The foods that fall into that category that are also very calorie-dense are the ones I don't bother with anymore.

We're not really talking about discipline, or foods we can't moderate. It's more of an awareness that's been reached about calories and how to spend them in a way that gives you maximum enjoyment.
    When we're talking worth, it's going to be subjective. For example the cost to go to Disneyland for a day is high. For some people it's worth it for some it's not dependent on the enjoyment factor for them as a person.
    It's why I say ALL FOODS are worth it if you enjoy it. I wouldn't say forcing yourself to eat a "healthy" food you despise is worth it.
    The problem is (if I'm going to use Disneyland) is that if you overextend yourself on these foods, you get into trouble. Overspending on Disneyland puts you in a hole. Same for overeating high calorie foods. But to say a high calorie food that's enjoyable to you isn't worth it is really just a lack of discipline in learning how to moderate it. It's why people BINGE OUT when they feel they have a chance to then feel horrible later.
    It's why I don't endorse any dieting to any of my clients. Diets only work for 10% of people successfully long term. The other 90% regain lost weight because they CAN'T stay on them and go back to the foods they enjoy that before "weren't worth the calories" but somehow are now.
    Weight control is a learned behavior and you can eat anything you want as long as you know how to discipline yourself.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Three more foods that just aren't worth the calories for me are corn, white potatoes, and bananas. Unless I freeze bananas and add other fruits then I can savor slowly.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2020
    Lietchi wrote: »
    ALL FOODS are worth the calories of you actually like to eat something and enjoy it. It's only NOT WORTH it if you ate it and DIDN'T like it.
    The issue here is people blame high calorie foods for their demise and weight gain. It's not the food's FAULT. It's the LACK OF DISCIPLINE from the person. Not being able to STOP CONSUMPTION is a discipline thing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think what we are talking about here is the grey area that exists between enjoying something and not liking something.
    There are plenty of foods that I think are just "okay". I don't DISLIKE them, but I'd hold short of saying I ENJOY them.

The foods that fall into that category that are also very calorie-dense are the ones I don't bother with anymore.

We're not really talking about discipline, or foods we can't moderate. It's more of an awareness that's been reached about calories and how to spend them in a way that gives you maximum enjoyment.

Precisely.

I mean, it's not that I don't enjoy cashews for example. But for the calories they contain, they aren't filling enough as a snack (unless I eat a lot of them, but then my calorie goal is out the window).

As for alcohol. I can moderate it with no issues whatsoever, I drank very little even before losing weight. But I used to drink wine at family gatherings just because everyone else did, even though I'm not a huge fan of wine. Once I 'knew' about the calories, I just had a glass of something I really enjoyed with the appetizers, and then switched to water for dinner. Family dinners are calorific enough without drinks I'm not even terribly fond of.

I'm not blaming my weight on calorific foods, just inappropriate portions and some emotional eating/snacking mixed in, and those weren't necessarily high calorie foods either. (I'm also not American :lol: )
    Being 'pickier' in what I want to spend my calories on isn't about how calorific foods are or not being able to stop myself from eating. I eat plenty of calorific foods still (hello Ben & Jerry's), but I focus on the stuff I really enjoy and satiates me. And being aware of how many (or few) calories specific foods contain helps me make that choice - logging has been eye opening for certain foods.

Exactly! I can (and sometimes do) eat any of the things mentioned here and maintain my weight. I just prefer not to because I have the choice of lower calorie options or options that I enjoy more for the same amount of calories. It has nothing to do with not being able to maintain my weight eating these foods or blaming any foods for why most americans are overweight.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited October 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When we're talking worth, it's going to be subjective. For example the cost to go to Disneyland for a day is high. For some people it's worth it for some it's not dependent on the enjoyment factor for them as a person.
    It's why I say ALL FOODS are worth it if you enjoy it. I wouldn't say forcing yourself to eat a "healthy" food you despise is worth it.
    The problem is (if I'm going to use Disneyland) is that if you overextend yourself on these foods, you get into trouble. Overspending on Disneyland puts you in a hole. Same for overeating high calorie foods. But to say a high calorie food that's enjoyable to you isn't worth it is really just a lack of discipline in learning how to moderate it. It's why people BINGE OUT when they feel they have a chance to then feel horrible later.
    It's why I don't endorse any dieting to any of my clients. Diets only work for 10% of people successfully long term. The other 90% regain lost weight because they CAN'T stay on them and go back to the foods they enjoy that before "weren't worth the calories" but somehow are now.
    Weight control is a learned behavior and you can eat anything you want as long as you know how to discipline yourself.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's the whole point of this discussion. The OP clearly stated what foods aren't worth the calories TO YOU. I think most of us are aware (in this thread anyway) that all foods CAN be eaten in moderation.

Exactly. Yet, I got a disagree on my not wanting to waste calories on certain foods. :neutral:

I did not disagree with you, but the way you worded your post made it seem like you really like bananas...you said you want to "savor" them slowly. Which goes back to the point of, if you love something, you can find a way to make it work instead of depriving yourself.

Or, someone just clicked the "disagree" while scrolling on their phone. I don't put a lot of thought or emotion into getting disagrees.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    IsETHome wrote: »
    Avoid chick fila sauce - 140 cals
    Avoid most salad dressing (keep to 30 cals or less per 2 tablespoons) Olive Garden lite, Kraft balsamic lite ok
    Avoid most Cheese products, about 100 cals an ounce

I do endorse full fat cottage cheese for breakfast. 2oz with a couple of chopped almonds on top. It keeps me satisfied with eating very little (first thing).

Sugar drinks are mostly wasted cals including juice, licorice is ridiculously high, ribs are ridiculously high, you have to be really careful with pasta portion, a plate of spaghetti could be your entire cals for the day.

Chocolate dark is ok...but small portion. Very small.

Avoid syrups, sugar.

Avoid all cooking oils, instead steam/saute food with broth and water. Use seasonings for flavor. Also I use a lot of lemon and lime for flavor.

Burger is ok but don’t eat the top bun, remember each fry is 10 cals. Never eat more than 10-20.

Just don’t eat pizza....unless it is a very very special occasion. They taste so good but each slice is 250-450 depending on crust, cheese and greasy toppings.

Bagels are too dense and not worth it.

Avoid not to eat something? Nope.
    Deciding that those things are NOT worth the calories, sure.

Hmm. Don't want to promote these strict food rules. "Avoiding" isn't really a healthy mindset imo
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    edited October 2020

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course it's subjective.

OP asked
    But I am curious, what foods are just not worth the # of calories to you?

The whole thread is by definition intended to be subjective.

Edited to fix my coding syntax error that screwed up the nesting.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

OP asked

Yep. When it comes to food, everything is subjective!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's the whole point of this discussion. The OP clearly stated what foods aren't worth the calories TO YOU. I think most of us are aware (in this thread anyway) that all foods CAN be eaten in moderation.

Exactly. Yet, I got a disagree on my not wanting to waste calories on certain foods. :neutral:

I did not disagree with you, but the way you worded your post made it seem like you really like bananas...you said you want to "savor" them slowly. Which goes back to the point of, if you love something, you can find a way to make it work instead of depriving yourself.

Or, someone just clicked the "disagree" while scrolling on their phone. I don't put a lot of thought or emotion into getting disagrees.

Bananas are much better frozen, like ice cream; found that out this summer. :)
    But the people who said cheesecake isn't worth the calories??? Now that's just insanity. Next they'll be saying carrot cake isn't either. :)

Carrot cake isn't worth the calories - keep the cake and just give me the cream cheese frosting 😋

Hell yeah!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    any regular supermarket items made from their bakery department. Certainly not worth the calories...usually not tasting very good anyways (have you tasted a Safeway croissant or that 'frosting' on their cakes?😖)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Ok. I can honestly say the top one food that isn't worth the calories, TO ME, is fruitcake.
    I'm sure there are others who actually like it and I'll admit to having eaten it during my lifetime. But.......no more waste of calories for that. :)
  • HungryTraveler
    HungryTraveler Posts: 39 Member
    For me the first things that come to mind are nuts, ice cream (except Ben&Jerry's cookie dough), most cookies or cake (except carrot cake) and dried fruits.
    Nothing is off limits for me, but some things just aren't worth spending my calories on because I don't enjoy them as much :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    pumpkin or pecan pie
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

OP asked

I focused on the title of the thread and skipped fully reading the OP's opening statement. So my bad.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png